PDA

View Full Version : What to do if selling PC

csinclair83
30-09-2003, 03:32 PM
A friend just brought around his pc as he wants to sell it but what do we need to do b4 we do?...
its same as mine...packard bell imedia with a cd-rw and a dvd player in 1 drive...
floppy....20gig hdd....comes with winxp home...

and we havent reformatted hdd yet but going to....just want to know what should we do to reformat it completely to be 100% sure that no one can actually find anything..as i've heard some hdds can have files left over.....and yeah....

and is there anything else we need 2 do?

Chilling_Silently
30-09-2003, 03:40 PM
They can recover the data, even after a format.. but who's going to fork out a couple of hundred bucks to find there's nothing but a few useless (to them) documents on the HDD...

Formatting usually will suffice, but I have an app called Active Kill-Disk which erases the HDD 7x over (military security level or something). I'll upload it if you like, its free IIRC.

Other than that, just install WinXP and anything else that might be useful, like Nero, PowerDVD, Office etc.

They can remove it later of course if they dont want it :-)

Cheers

Chill.

csinclair83
30-09-2003, 03:47 PM
what we actually gona do is reformat and put it back to company settings which means its gonna be back to the computer it was the day we got it...
and it came with:

winxp home
staroffice 5.2
nortons antivirus 2002
ms ie 6
ms outloook 6

the only thing missing from "as it is when it came out of shop"
is, well it came with 2 games, fifa 2001, rogue spear also micky mouse art thingy, and fifa wont be included as cd is damaged so yeah...

would $1500 be a big ask? as hes wanting at least $1200-$1500 for it....
hes trying to raise some urgent money as hes going on a OE to england end of november but wants to go to the rugby world cup final on his way over...and yeah....apparently hes got everything sorted..without the money needed...

and if the program isnt that big u could just email it to me
sinclair@ man.quik.co. new zealand (.nz)

otherwise just upload it and lemmie know......

godfather
30-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Chilling is right.

Paranoia is OK if you have some serious dodgy stuff on the HDD, but otherwise, who cares, and who would pay serious money to find out?

As to loading stuff on it, do not load anything that you have the licenses for that will not accompany the PC when you sell it.

e.g. Loading Office, when you have no intention of surrendering the licence for it or handing the disks over with the PC is a bad idea, and not legit.

csinclair83
30-09-2003, 03:55 PM
he just wants to delete everything 100% as some have been related to a lawsuit hes been invloved in....as well as "personal entertainment" amongest other things hardly worth mentioning...

and the only cds hes giving with the computer are the ones that came with the computer in the first place..nothing illegal...and thats the games, recovery floppy,

Chilling_Silently
30-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Format it twice if you must, and I will upload Active Kill-Disk if you still want, but its paranoia... I'll eat my hat if they do ever recover it coz it just aint a happening thing. Unless you make out that you're from the CIA etc and they could learn a lot of cool yet useless stuff and publish it online, I wouldnt really waste my time.

Obelix
30-09-2003, 04:36 PM
My opinion is that $1500 would be way too much. You can sometimes buy a new machine for near that price.

Your friend should check TradeMe out to get an idea of what sort of price he can expect.

nomad
30-09-2003, 04:56 PM
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

csinclair83
30-09-2003, 05:02 PM
thanks for that nomad...

and if u say its expensive...
but they sell them real cheap on trademe...$300? i think the system is worth more....$900 or so would be reasonable..can u tell me what u think is the reasonable price?

its less than a year old..
comes with intel celeron 1.2ghz with 256kb l2 cache
256mb ram
intel direct agp (shared up to 11mb dynmamic video memory)- videomemory

hdd is 20gb with 1.5gb for recovery program

software included is:

nortons antivirus 2002
star office 5.2
internet explorer- outlook express
disney magic artist
britanna 2002
rogue spear-game

56k modem

dvd-cdrw drive

nomad
30-09-2003, 05:04 PM
this works in dos. ie.. after a formating.
http://www.killdisk.com/

Chilling_Silently
30-09-2003, 05:14 PM
> this works in dos. ie.. after a formating.
> http://www.killdisk.com/

You Legend! That's the app I was thinking of :-)

nomad
30-09-2003, 05:18 PM
I think its privacy, it can be embarassing having ur private letters/emails be read by others!!

Actually, I searched the net, failing that. I located my 1yr old CD-R and located the filename and then on the net. Looks quite nice eh? :D :)

somebody
30-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Does it include monitor/keyboard/mouse?

For a Celeron 1.2ghz, I would doubt anyone would pay $900 for a 2nd hand system. If it has a monitor... then maybe $900 would be reasonable. Not many people would buy a 2nd hand computer these days, as $900 could almost buy a new system of similar specs.

Remember that the value of PCs decreases rapidly (If I don't remember wrong, a typical PC halves in value every year).

csinclair83
30-09-2003, 05:25 PM
yeah
keyboard and 15' standard monitor and optical mouse...

and if ur correct that value of computer halves each year then this computer would be worth $1100 as he purchased it for $2200 in october 2002

somebody
30-09-2003, 05:41 PM
This is what you can get for $1,252 including assembly, GST, and freight.

Similar or better specs to the ones you've provided. Includes WinXP Home.
This just provides a useful marker to judge the value of your friend's PC.

Source: www.pp.co.nz

$129.00 CPU: Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz (100x18) CPU + Fan Retail Boxed
MB00025
$119.00 Socket 478 Motherboard: DFI PM12-TL Socket 478 Motherboard
MEM02200
$82.00 DDR RAM Memory Chip: Generic 256MB PC2700 DDR (333Mhz) Memory
DD01010
$26.00 Floppy Disk Drive: Samsung 3�" Floppy Disk Drive
CW02030
$142.00 IDE Device: LiteOn LTC-48161H 48x24x48x 16xDVD Internal IDE Combo CD-Writer/DVD
HD01051
$110.00 IDE Device: Seagate U Series X 20GB 5400RPM IDE ATA100 Hard Disk Drive 2MB Cache
MD01120
$32.00 PCI Card: Intel PCI Internal 56k V92 Modem
CS03100
$74.00 Case: Auriga VF-2001B Mid-Tower Case 300W PSU
MN01200
$248.00 Monitor: Philips 105E 15" Monitor
ID03600
$20.00 Keyboard: Chicony KB-9810 Standard Keyboard
ID01190
$26.00 Mouse: A4Tech SWOP-35 Mouse Optical Wheel Mouse PS2
SW01300
$204.00 Software Package: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM Operating System
$40.00 Assembly
Order Total $1,252.00

Graham L
30-09-2003, 06:46 PM
The secondhand value is what someone will pay. :D The first 50% drop in value occurs when you open the cartons and plug it in. The obscene technology "improvement" rate means that before you get it home it's "obsolete".

PoWa
30-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Arghhh actually I don't recommend the apps mentioned here. Killdisk if you want a proper job, be prepared to pay $60 for it. The junk free version only writes 00's and does it once only. I have the full version somewhere which is more secure. There is an app which does the same as killdisk even better - Gutmann standard (and its free). Its called boot n nuke (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban). If your mate says there is stuff on there that is involved in a court case, then paranoia is justified, wipe it clean -forget formatting. We have a faq on this believe it or not.

PoWa
30-09-2003, 09:00 PM
And yea, your average IT student can pull data off the drive without anything expensive. Forensic software is cheap as, and easily aquired. Read here (http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=110&xlc=929443).

Rod ger
30-09-2003, 09:02 PM
If you want to see what you can get new for around(or better) the same specs see here. (http://www.nfc.co.nz/Desktop.asp?Id=4)

csinclair83
30-09-2003, 09:09 PM
we thinking of putting it up for $800 on a 12 hour auction on trademe..if theres nothing happening then will halve it to $400...and see how that goes...

Chris

somebody
01-10-2003, 11:08 AM
I would try listing it in local Classified ads around your area first. You might actually be able to get $800 for it.

Have you tried selling it 2nd hand to a local computer store in your area? They might be willing to pay $800 or so for it.

fergie
01-10-2003, 01:16 PM
or try cash convertors.
I see PC's in there for crazy prices, I no they run a markup thats probably quite big, but still - you've got nothing to lose (unless they find out its stolen and/or you've got pirated software all on it :D)

Cheers

Lizard
01-10-2003, 02:02 PM
> or try cash convertors.
> I see PC's in there for crazy prices, I no they run a
> markup thats probably quite big, but still - you've
> got nothing to lose (unless they find out its stolen
> and/or you've got pirated software all on it :D)
>
> Cheers

IMHO, forget Cash Converters. Every time I've offered to sell stuff, they asked me what I expected. They halved it (on two separate occasions, on different items), and said that's what they would sell it for - right from the start, they want 200% markup... Others may have different stories, but don't bother selling to CC...

Lizard

csinclair83
01-10-2003, 02:53 PM
i went in 2 cash converters with a detailed peice of paper
and they said they would give $200 for it...which means they would prolly sell at $600 or so...

I'm gonna ask u guys...is there ne one here who would take it for anything around $300....

I'm asking for him as hes going on sunday, and kind of needs the cash by friday...i know its pushing it...hence why hes not going on trademe... and that would give me(csinclair)...the weekend to sort out the computer and reformat it and put his stuff onto cd... as i'm using his computer now..sorting the crap out he has...

But if nothing happens then we'll decide what happens then...

csinclair83
01-10-2003, 03:54 PM
hey...
parents have decided to give him da money so dont really need 2 sell now...(yesterday they were on the no no side)

but since we have already put this on offer here...we'll still consider any offers but its not really urgent anymore... plenty of time as hes given the whole job 2 me now so if it ever sells i just pop da money into his acc....

anyway guys...thanks for all ya help on this :)

nomad
01-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Don't go to cash converters. A laptop with a street used value of $1600, I was given $800. It was a laptop, with docking station, dvd, cd, optional internal ethernet upgrade, and 1yr intl warranty left on it. Initially bought for $6k abouts with all the upgrades, all sofwares were included too.

If ya not interesed, they would show u cheap brochures from harvey or what not and justify their reasonable price they gave u. Saying person does not care what it is, they want speed specs and fullstop blah blah.

fergie
01-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi.
I'll give ya $300 for it - maybe a 'lil more.

Email me here:

fergienz@paradise.net.nz

fergie
01-10-2003, 05:38 PM
also, I could transfer money tonight - you get it tomorow/friday (interent banking seems to get slower and slower...) and you could still do all your stuff on it before you send it out - in other words - i'd be in no hurry to get it - next week etc

cheers

csinclair83
01-10-2003, 11:33 PM
hey fergie i repleid to your email
i hope ur still around...
am online msn and yahoo if u wanna talk about it

csinclair83@man.quik.co.nz < msn

tear_drops83 <yahoo (dont ask..cuz made this for me.and shes a 13yr old girl lol)

btw specs i think i posted them on here in earlier posting on this thread..if u still want more..lemmie know...

csinclair83
02-10-2003, 10:52 PM
hey...
just wanted to put a posting here to say that pc has been sold.. for $400..
it was all my mate wanted considering the value of pc dropping etc and also the situation he is in...

so yeah..thanks guys for ya help etc :)

csinclair83
29-10-2003, 02:06 PM
a guy on here emailed me a offer, and since the computer was already sold he replied with some games available to sell or swap......I cannot remember his name but I wish for him 2 contact me...if he knows who he is..and who i'm talking about...
(i lost email address during reformat so yeah)
Cheers

Chris

PS: I also apologise for bringing this way back up the threading ladder

Kame
29-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Better than starting a new thread, I never knew about this :P

$400 hmm... cheap really and probably the price it should have gone for, the best thing with computers is to sell them in parts not as a whole, whole systems are cheaper, parts aren't and if parts are hard to source e.g. someone wanting a Celeron 1.2GHz because they aren't avaible now then obviously they'd look into it.

You really can't expect to sell a 2nd hand computer at a price that you could buy a new computer for and probably better specs, you can build sub $1000 PCs, proprietor computers e.g. IBM, Compaq/HP, Dell etc, have goodwill pricing (you pay for the name/reputation) which means those computers are pretty much half the price once bought.