PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from IE 5.5

dickjames22
30-09-2003, 10:16 AM
I have 98SE with IE5.5 and generally work on the basis that if it's working ok I leave it alone. What is the current wisdom on upgrading to IE6?

CYaBro
30-09-2003, 10:22 AM
From my experience and from what I've heard and read it's best not to run IE6 on Win98.
Can cause a lot of problems!

Robby
30-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Gidday,

some time ago, I tried IE6 on 98se, and wasnt to impressed with it.

It worked ok, but I felt IE5.5 was quicker, and loaded smoother. I've also seen milliemum become really glitchy after upgrading to IE6.

In saying that XP with IE6 works just fine.

cheers,

Robby

Robby
30-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Gidday,

some time ago, I tried IE6 on 98se, and wasnt to impressed with it.

It worked ok, but I felt IE5.5 was quicker, and loaded smoother. I've also seen milliemum become really glitchy after upgrading to IE6.

In saying that XP with IE6 works just fine.

cheers,

Robby

beama
30-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I agree with everyone else IE6 on 98se is buggy, I should know I use that combination, buggy with no great dramas. You know what they say "better the beast you know", if I had my choice again I wouldn't upgrade, also remember once you upgrade, its hard to go back, but not impossible.

tweak\'e
30-09-2003, 11:25 AM
well i have IE6 on win98se and it runs fine. i also have installed and used it on heaps of other pc's without any problems. most problems i have seen are usually caused by the OS or IE being half stuffed before they try installing IE6.

if your hardware is on the slow side then stick with 5.5sp2. what ever one you use make sure its fully patched.

you could use one of the other excellent browsers such as opera or mozilla. personally i prefer opera, try em and see which one you like the best.

Terry Porritt
30-09-2003, 11:45 AM
I also upgraded my main computer running Win98SE to IE6 from a PCW CD and like tweak'e have had no problems with it at all.

The only minor thing was that my old paid for version 2.6 of Cookie Crusher had to be updated to run with IE6. Im not impressed with the MS built in Privacy/cookie options though, I have Accept All Cookies set and then let Cookie Crusher do its stuff.