PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft CAB problems

perelini
29-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Can anyone explain what this means, I have an idea but I need clarification.

Winzip cannot open C:\unzipped\ltsa\data 1.CAB because it is not in the standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid-1998). The "signature bytes" required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing

Regards

Terry Porritt
29-09-2003, 10:34 PM
:?| It means what it says :)

Winzip is unable to open the cabinet file data 1.cab because that file does not conform to the Microsoft cabinet file format. Some bytes within the file that would normally be used to identify it to Winzip as a cabinet file are not there.

Terry Porritt
29-09-2003, 10:36 PM
oh wrong order, should be this ?:|

godfather
29-09-2003, 10:40 PM
A .cab file is a (Microsoft?) standard file structure (CABinet file)

Later versions of Windows and WINZIP can open .cab files and allow you to extract files from them (they are in compressed format in the .cab file)

It looks like the message is telling you that the LTSA file (data1.cab) is not in the Microsoft format. Therefore you cannot look inside with Winzip. That does not mean the file is faulty, the application that uses the data1.cab may be quite happy to use it.

Or, if it doesnt work when you install the software that uses to file, it may mean its corrupted.

perelini
01-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the response, I'll try downloading the file again and see what happens.

perelini
01-10-2003, 03:24 AM
I did open the file on Win98 and got it going this error only occurred on Win2000 and I was using the latest Winzip.

But thanks for the response

PoWa
01-10-2003, 04:03 AM
Maybe try opening it with a real program like WinRAR?