PDA

View Full Version : Website access

alantelfer
29-09-2003, 07:04 PM
When I try to access 'www.xtra.co.nz' using Mozilla I get the message "The connection was refused when I attempt to contact www.xtra.co.nz".

When using Internet Explorer a Google search window is opened with 'Xtra:Home' found but when I click on 'Xtra:Home' I get the message "The page cannot be displayed" (tab in taskbar is labbled "Cannot find server".

When using Enigma browser I get the same messages as using Internet Explorer .

If I type www.xtra.co.nz/home in the address bar the home page opens but some of the links on the page return the error messages again.

As I am having the same problem using 3 * different browsers I am guessing that the problem lies in the operating system and not the browsers !

Not being able to access Xtra is not a disaster but I am concerned that other sites are not loading also. (I have presumed in the past that sites must have closed down but now I am not so sure).

This is a problem on my desktop computer running Windows 98SE, I do not have the problem if I connect using my laptop, also running Windows 98.

I have tried disabling my anti-virus program (PC-Cillin 2002) to ensure the built-in firewall is not causing the problem but even with PC-Cillin disabled same error messages.

I have tried looking through the registry but cannot find anything that may be blocking "www.xtra.co.nz".

I really do NOT want to reformat the hard drive and reload everything !!!!!

cyberchuck
29-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Have you disabled any firewalls? As they may be blocking access to Xtra - particularly if the laptop can access it, but not the desktop

Merlin
29-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Until a clean installation of the operating system is done, testing for the software which has created the problem cannot commence.

Testing by elination is preferable to testing by guesswork

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

Merlin
29-09-2003, 07:46 PM
should read:

Testing by elimination . . . .