PDA

View Full Version : Help! Virus in Master Boot Record!

amijinx
29-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Recently my win98 would not boot and it says there may be a virus in MBR. What should I do to fix it? I did fdisk /mbr but doesn't seem to work. Help!

Billy T
29-09-2003, 03:31 PM
It may not be a virus, but since your first efforts didn't fix it I guess it could be. What Anti-virus program are you using?

I guess if you have a virus the answer may be no, but NAV and other commercial programs can boot from a CD and do a virus scan & repair on an otherwise not bootable PC.

Buying or borrowing such a CD might help, but don't forget to set the bios to boot from CD or it won't work.

No doubt other advice will follow, I just got in early.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

amijinx
29-09-2003, 03:38 PM
I did not install NAV (bad idea) and I've now boot from a NAV CD but everytime it tries to load, the pc reboots itself. This happens again and again. Wat could be wrong?

Billy T
29-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Well, if booting from a CD (or a boot floppy even) the HDD isn't in the picture so it sounds like something else causing the reboot. It certainly cant be anything on the HDD.

To prove the point you could remove the power from the hard drive and boot again. If you have boot floppy handy you could check and see what happens with that too.

Sounds like a motherboard/bios issue. Have you gone into the Bios to set it to boot from the CD? Check all plugs & sockets too.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

amijinx
29-09-2003, 05:05 PM
I have created 4 floppy emergency boot disk from NAV and it says there are no virus found. But I still can't boot into my win98. After the WIN splash screen, it's all blank and an error pop up "Illegal Operation and need to close down etc". On the top pop uo box, shows something like "IExplorer", problem i do not have IE installed. I am using Win98 Lite.

agent
29-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Win98 Lite, as in the tweaking program?

That might be what is causing the problem; how long have you been using it?

amijinx
29-09-2003, 05:23 PM
I installed win98 Lite on my old pc which only had 32Mb. Lite allows user to uninstall IExplorer to save space. Been using it for a month and everythign works find until I tried to installed Netscape froma CD I got from a fren. Suspect the CD was infected or something. After installation of Netscape it requires to reboot which I did, thats when I couldn't get back in to the OS. Help

agent
29-09-2003, 05:28 PM
It's a long shot, but you could try reinstalling Windows, and see if that boots.

As far as I know, it should keep all your settings if you reinstall it; but I would wait until other people can confirm that (and come up with much simpler possible solutions).

Billy T
29-09-2003, 06:26 PM
If you can boot the NAV floppies and they checked your HDD it sounds like your OS has been munged. The simple solution would be to reinstall W98 then download Opera or get it off a previous PCW CD. That will give you a clean (as in no viruses) small and fast browser that won't crash your PC and will complement W98 Lite nicely.

Do you have unbacked up data on your HDD? If so you could always use a DOS boot floppy to access it and take it off via floppies. It only matters if you do a format & reinstall, otherwise you will just refresh your OS and all data will be safe.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

amijinx
29-09-2003, 07:45 PM
I have reinstalled win98 and everything works fin now. Thanks for the advise guys. But still curious what went wrong. Anyway, cheerio.