PDA

View Full Version : CPU vs Case Temperatures

AaronM
29-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I've just added a new fast HDD to my system, and want to be sure it doesn't overheat (maybe I need to up the cooling).

I checked out this PC World article on system temperature and have come away a little confused.

The article indicates temperatures inside the case of >44 degrees can damage components. But then it goes on to talk about pgms like m'brd monitor which measure CPU temperature. After adding a bus cooler the temperature decreases to 36 degrees - surely this must be the case temperature and not the CPU temperature as measured by the m'board monitor?

Looking on the web and around Press F1 suggests that CPU temp in range 40-50 (or even 60 degrees C) is fine, and AMD specs say up to 90 degrees (though I think this is too hot).

My CPU temperature is reported as 32-36 degrees when not being stressed, and into the mid 40's when running harder - I am a little worried at the times my CPU temp is >the magical 44 degrees mentioned in the article and just wanted to check if I was correct in thinking that 44 degrees is for case temp, and running a CPU a bit hotter than this is OK?

Presumeably the reported CPU temp would be a bit higher than the case temp, so if my CPU is reported as say 45 degrees C, case temp is probably OK.

Budda
29-09-2003, 03:07 PM
yep i would say this is fine, im running a 2400XP at about 60 degrees with a case temp of around 40, there seems to be a lot of debate about these issues, but the lower the temp the better your componets will run and last longer. I would prob start to worry when your case temp is up around 50 and the cpu is over about 70-80, but a lot of people would disagree

metla
29-09-2003, 03:25 PM
xp2200-31c
case temp-29c

Only fans in my system are the cpu fan,the video card fan and the powersuppply...

tweak\'e
29-09-2003, 04:53 PM
catch here is the temp sensors are not exactly accrate, there are different methods of measureing temps (ie temp sensors in different locations), bios's which incorrectly report the temps and programs that can also incorrectly report the temps.

room temp dictates case temp which dictates cpu temp (with air cooling).

as far as cpu temps go it depends a lot on what cpu, but generally cooler is better. with case temp i prefer under 40 degrees. basicly if your case temp is 40 then your room temp is going to be in the high 30's unless you have one bad case airflow setup.

programs like MBM can monitor both case and cpu sensors (if the motherboard has them).

DangerousDave
29-09-2003, 05:36 PM
My current temp according to Vcool (a good proggy for keeping an AMD's temp down when idle) says CPU is 42, and system is 22. On an Athlon XP 2000+ (apparently one the hottest AMD chips)

Now i'm running a Volcano 9, which is pretty loud on full, but i'm running it at half speed about now which is the same noise as the stock fan. I had to replace the stock fan as in the summer when i'm pushing it (aka BF1942) it got upto 70 degrees!, now when on full use, it gets to about 48 degrees. Summer makes it horrible, due to the case temp air being hotter, therefore using this hotter air, maybe 55 degrees. I do also have a few case fans (120mm front, 2 80mm exhausts)...

If you really are worried about your temperatures, get a bigger fan (as I said volcano 9 is good for Athlons, or if you have a bit of money water cooling is better and near silent), seriously if you are running a AMD Athlon, those temperatures are pretty good. They may be getting a bit higher than those of Pentium 4's (from what i've seen) but nothing unacceptable. I sugest that maybe a couple of case fans may help, just to get the air going through the case (remember, to account for intake and outtake of the air in your case). That MAY bring the temperatures down a few degrees.

Hope its some help,
- David