PDA

View Full Version : computer chairs, seating etc

beetle
28-09-2003, 11:50 PM
ok all evening i sit on these stupid uncomfortable things and we have been thinking about getting a new one,
but at times i sit on my feet, sprawl out and just generally wriggle about and i find my legs get tired and restless as i have nothing to put them on.

so what sort of chairs do other people have or what sort of chair would you recomend?

and what do you put your feet on?

mine end up going up the back of the desk on a rail till feet hurt and then when desperate get a box or pillow ( but as in the office cannot add anything that wont look appropriate)

so suggestions please.

chair types, makes , models ????

and if pos price range ?
or just a comment on your chair?

:D

beetle

PoWa
29-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Well I looked for a nice computer chair a month or two ago. And the prices are very expensive - like $400 and up for a reasonable one. Knowing me, I wanted a nice executive leather type chair and that was going to cost about $600-700+.

Basically you need some good support for your back, and it needs to be adjustable for height etc. If it reclines as well (so you can go to sleep) even better ;)

Go into a chair shop and see which one feels the best :p

beetle
29-09-2003, 12:10 AM
oh yes and did you actually get a new chair?

does colour matter ? :D :p

and whether it turns or rocks is / not ? important ? :p

thanxs powa,

beetle

agent
29-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Oh yes, when they rock, at first it's a shock, then pleasant, then it's annoying, then you get used to it. But that's only if the control to stop it rocking is broken. :D

summertime
29-09-2003, 12:45 AM
I don't recommend the Executive high backed vinyl chair from the Warehouse (cost $149..........so uncomfortable0

PoWa
29-09-2003, 12:49 AM
> oh yes and did you actually get a new chair?

Oh nope :) I saved my money and bought a new hard drive and Power Supply - as per other threads ;) hehe.

csinclair83
29-09-2003, 02:14 AM
warehouse stationary sell pretty flash comfty chairs pretty cheap
went there wif a m8 and sat in one while he got what he wanted...
and for feet..i put mine on the back rail too..
but yeah office wise wouldnt look "professional"....i guess u could get a lil footrest like u would have in the lounge i guess...

Thomas
29-09-2003, 07:40 AM
I would suggest you look at second hand office supplies,with luck you might get a good one for the price of a bad new one,worth a go Beet.

-=JM=-
29-09-2003, 11:50 AM
I'd recommend Warehouse Stationary as well they have nice chairs at a good price sometimes. I must say I really like those "ergo chairs" just pity they're so expensive and would be so annoying to get out of really quickly. I've just got standard height adjustable and backrest height adjustable chair. I forget the model name. It seems to do the trick to me, but my feet do touch the ground, if yours don't I'd get a foot rest as well.

beetle
29-09-2003, 12:28 PM
LOL i wasnt meaning my feet dont touch the ground just i fidgit around and i get tired legs from being on the floor all the time so i sit on them (legs) on the seat of the chair.

or up the back of desk and rock on the chair or when cold wooly socks and a pillow or hottie.... :D

i feel the desk is to low and the chair is low then too to fit under, on work office desk.
on my personal desk its a work office desk not a puter desk so its higher and i have the old office crap chair thats vinyl, and arms which is not comfy.
i like tilta / rocking type ones for long stays at the puter and soft padding would be good,

so may have a look at warehouse stationary next time in town.

thanxs

beetle

Poppa John
29-09-2003, 01:13 PM
PJ here, beetle. Got mine from a second hand office furniture shop up the
top end of Victoria, on the left opposite Goldsworthy Opticians. Got arm rests, up & down, forward/back tilt, back adjustment, $35. Ok for me with a crook back. PJ

Poppa John
29-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Ps How about putting some wood blocks under the "Low" desk to raise it up a bit??? PJ

Thomas
29-09-2003, 01:36 PM
>Ps How about putting some wood blocks under the "Low" desk to raise i>t up a bit??? PJ

Nice to have another cabinet maker on board;)

Poppa John
29-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Thomas. Cabinet maker?? More like Wood butcher!!!! PJ :D :D

Beetle. Seriously tho, why not find four old house bricks, one under each corner & see if it makes any difference?? PJ

somebody
29-09-2003, 02:58 PM
I got quite a nice chair from Warehouse Stationary (pre-assembled too). Originally cost $179.95, but on special so I paid about $130 for it. It's got good back support (adjustable backrest), adjustable height, and wheels to roll around.

I would recommend the "Life chair" which was designed in NZ, but it costs over $2000 I think, so it is way out of my price range anyway. I had a go on it at an art museum in Wellington - can't remember the name of it though.

beetle
29-09-2003, 03:07 PM
lol
thanxs PJ but i think its just me not really a low desk as it is higher than the other desk that was here.... :D

what 2nd hand shop?

um and wheres Golds.... optometrists?
which block ? in town or top of ave like?

thanxs all other wise, sounds like a time consuming mission to do.... go and sit on some chairs.... :D

hey should ask pc world to have a compition or a prize givaway of a new puter chair? :D :p is that a pink pig going past my window?

thanxs, i feel a shop day is coming up somehow.....

beetle

Poppa John
29-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Beetle. Could not recognise the office shop name in the phone book. However Goldsworthy Optician is No 210 Victoria, office shop is across the road next to an Op Shop selling clothes & stuff. PJ

Ladybug
29-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Beetle - Just dont sit in front of the computer for so long - get out and help hubby with something - then you wont need a chair to sit on and then you wont need to spend $$$$$$ - simple :p

:) Bug

beetle
29-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Bug :p

and you can talk...... i know you on the puter just as much or more than me..... :D

thanxs PJ will have a look next time im down that way.

beetle

Susan B
30-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Add me to the batch of people who have a chair from Warehouse Stationery. I got mine a few months ago and find it very comfortable with a nice soft seat - essential for after a punishing 2-3 hour bumpy ride around a MTB track. :D

I am like you - I start off sitting nicely with feet on the floor, back straight, etc, but after a while a leg has to get tucked under myself in semi-lotus position until it goes to sleep, then it's back to the "correct" posture again. :D

Ladybug: yes we all spend way too much time sitting in front of these boxes, but sometimes it is either that or being parked in front of the other square box and I know which I prefer most of the time. ;-)

beetle
14-10-2003, 04:40 PM
PJ just letting you know i went and found the said shop, but have not actually bought anything yet....

it was amazing it had heaps of assorted (crap) of tables, chairs desks etc

and definetly when get money in my hand will be looking there as well as the warehouse.....

the lady was quite astonished i did not the shop was there..... she had quite a chuckle.... has it been there a while then?

thanxs PJ

beetle

Rod ger
14-10-2003, 09:23 PM
The secret to a comfortable seat(apparently) is to have all your joints ie. knees, hips, elbows at right angles. The prime measurement to me seems to be the desk height which governs the chair height(to get the elbows right). In my case the desk is about 100 cms too high, so I use a lump of 4"*4" as a footrest . Its suprising how much I use it, if its not in the right place I almost always find it to get "right". My chair has levers for backrest, height and seat tilt, and is the most comfortable seat in the house. Now all I need is some new specs!

John H
15-10-2003, 05:55 PM
I agree with Rod ger about the right angle rule - that is what I was taught by an Occupational Therapist who surveys workplaces on contract to ACC - I got them to check out my set up as part of my rehab from a nasty motor bike accident. And the height of your monitor is critical too.

I have had four computer chairs in my time, each one an upgrade on the earlier model. I need a good chair because I am on the computer most of the day, and because of the need to deal with periodic back problems.

My current chair was bought from Boise (formerly known as Whitcoulls). It is a Boston Apex Executive chair. It has a fabric surface (NOT VINYL!!!), a high back, arms, and three levers like Rod ger's chair - height, back rest, and seat tilt. The seat tilt is really useful - this is the first chair I have had with it and tilting the seat forward is really useful to take the pressure off your thighs.

I also use a footrest bought years ago from Whitcoulls. I could not do without it. You can set the height and angle of the footrest to take the pressure off the back of your thighs.

I noticed when I bought my current chair that they now grade chairs by how many hours you can sit in them! Some were 6 hour chairs and some were 8 hour models!

I also have a kneeling chair - I bought it years ago, and whilst I do not use it for long, I have kept it because sometimes I get back aches from constantly using a sitting chair and then I swap to the kneeling chair for a week or so. It seems to ease the back (maybe it strengthens the muscles again that have been under-utilised in the sitting position. However, after a week or so, I find the pressure on my knees and shins intolerable and go back to the sitting chair again.

Thinks - I haven't used the kneeling chair once since I bought my current computer chair - maybe that tells you something about the value of spending as much as you can for a good quality chair. The price of my current chair was just under $400, but they were having a promotion at the time so I think the normal retail price was quite a bit higher.

godfather
15-10-2003, 07:49 PM
John H raises some very good points here.

Chairs are indeed rated at hours per day.
Make sure you get one rated for your expected use, its both a matter of comfort for you and the life of the chair.

I changed to a more expensive chair this year, high back, fabric, adjustable support etc.
It made me realise how bad the old plain "office gaslift chair" was. I spend at least 8 hours a day in it.

One point John, you say "My current chair was bought from ...", does that imply its an electric chair?

beetle
15-10-2003, 08:30 PM
so basically youre saying get a lazybeetle chair :D and never leave the puter if i do that.....

and yes i seen a few expensive comfy ones and always thought i should spend my money on other things not a flash chair.... ?:|

maybe i ask for christmas instead of office prog ? may get this instead....
but then again he may not want me to have a comfy chair...i may spend longer in front of puter then... :D
nothing can be as bad as this vinyl one nearly as old as the motel....

thanxs

beetle

John H
15-10-2003, 09:37 PM
>One point John, you say "My current chair was bought from ...", does that imply its an electric chair?

Arrrggggghhhhhh!

John H
15-10-2003, 09:43 PM
>nothing can be as bad as this vinyl one nearly as old as the motel....

Vinyl chairs - yech! My idea of torture is to sit in a vinyl chair in the summer during a Canterbury norwester, especially if you are wearing shorts (or, I imagine, wearing a short skirt, but I wouldn't know about that...).

That is even worse than driving a car that has vinyl seats during the summer.

metla
15-10-2003, 09:53 PM
hmmmm...I got both my chairs from demolition sites :D

And i had to give up my prior job last year due to ongoing back problems.15 years of experience wasted :-(

superOman
17-10-2003, 12:17 AM
The Formway Life Chair was designed in NZ by Formway furniture incidently. Over 4 years of research and development was undertaken at a relitavely cheap (by international standards) of about 4 million dollars

This resulted in a chair that performs like no other.

It comes in a range of options (fabrics/leather/plastic. arms/noarms etc

Range is about $700or$800 to $1000 dollars

To take on the international market a deal was struck with Knoll furniture in the United States. Knoll manufactures most of the chairs for a small commision. Before the chairs went on sale there were already 40,000 orders.

It truly is a great chair.

Formway has a show room in Blair or Allen st in Wellington (i forget which)
The chair was at the Sweden 101 exhbition at the Dowse in Lower Hutt

And no I don't work for formway. Im an Industrial Design Student(product design) at Massey University

csinclair83
17-10-2003, 02:13 AM
what about the chairs that give u neck massages as u sit there...would be nice ;)

tbacon_nz
17-10-2003, 08:32 AM
I agree with everything that has been said about joint angles. I think you can get a booklet from either ACC or OSH that tells you all about it.

For foot support, you can get various adjustable (height/angle) units from office suppliers. I was also once given a footrest that consisted of knobbly rollers that gave you a foot massage as well as support! I used it for years until it was swiped by another member of the family.