PDA

View Full Version : Not responding

Rosscoe
28-09-2003, 02:17 PM
I have an older computer P2 233 that has now started to stop responding,do I need to replace the memory on this machine?Sometime it just freezes.

Jen C
28-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Can you clarify what is exactly happening when it stops responding eg, what programs are open/running or what were you trying to do - any error messages will also be helpful. Also, how much RAM do you currently have and what OS are you using?

Rosscoe
28-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Windows 98 operating system with 224mb of ram,sometimes when using ie and sometimes when idle,no error message you have to restart the computer.

godfather
28-09-2003, 04:08 PM
It could be any of 1,329 different things that cause random lock-ups.

You need to narrow the search, by doing such things as noting down what applications are running at the time. That may give a clue as to the cause.

Other things you could try would be to clean out any accumulated dust (in case its temperature related) and remove 1 stick of RAM at a time to see if it can isolate that as a cause. Reseating all cards and cables is worth a try.

How often does it happen?

Rod ger
28-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Do you clean up unnecessary files, scan, and defrag regularly?

Billy T
28-09-2003, 11:21 PM
I had that years ago on a P133 and it turned out to be a video driver issue. That may or may not be of help to you, depending on how often your fault occurs. If it happens often enough perhaps running on standard VGA drivers for a short time would at least eliminate that possibility.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Rosscoe
29-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Hi yes it has all been done will reinstall Windows and see how it goes.