PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger Version 6

johnandcoll
28-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Since upgrading from version 5 have been unable to make voice contact.Initial upgrade was not clean so uninstalled but after downloading to disc am unable to install. The message I now get is "Unable to extract file due to low memory or disc space or a corrupted cabinet file." If I try to open at download site I get the same message.

What must I do to overcome this problem as there is ample memory, 96 Ram, and 2GIG free disc space? I am presently using version 4.5 which works ok but no audio as my contacts are on version 6.

agent
28-09-2003, 01:39 PM
Your download sounds as if it is being corrupted.

My advice is to, in Internet Explorer (assuming you use it, of course), click Tools -> Internet Options and click on the 'Delete Files' button in the under the 'Temporary Internet files' section on the General tab.

johnandcoll
28-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Many thanks for your prompt advice. Followed your instuctions and now have version 6 operating OK except that we still have no audio in spite of disabling our firewalls. Do you have any suggestions as MSN has been less than helpful over this problem.

stu140103
28-09-2003, 04:22 PM
> Many thanks for your prompt advice. Followed your
> instuctions and now have version 6 operating OK
> except that we still have no audio in spite of
> disabling our firewalls. Do you have any suggestions
> as MSN has been less than helpful over this problem.

You are very luckily before to get MSN voce to work! (If you do a search on here, you will find that not many people achieve this, including me, who is on a network)

If you still cannot get MSN voce to work then my advise to you is forget about MSN & use Yahoo messenger for voce (it does a better job at it :), as I have found out)

PS: johnandcoll Welcome To Press F1 :)

johnandcoll
28-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Stu, thanks for your comments. We have had problems on and off with voice using versions 4.5 and 5 and it is only since upgrading to 6 that we can't get it to work. MSN keep telling us they are working on the problem but no joy yet.

Chilling_Silently
28-09-2003, 10:33 PM
You might want to try MSN 6.1, which apparently has fixed that for a few people I've talked to.

Google for it :-)

johnandcoll
29-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Thanks Chilling Silently, willgive that a try.

Chilling_Silently
29-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Do keep in mind that it is still a Beta release, but Im sure its worth using (For you and your contact) if you can use the voice conversations :-)

Marnie
29-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Johnandcoll I have the same problem, having been able to use voice with the previous version, but not with 6.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, with no success.
Now, if I wish to use voice, I switch to yahoo messenger.

I will try uninstalling/reinstalling later, as on a previous occasion, with an earlier version, it suddenly worked!! I never did find out why, but I assumed msn messenger had altered something.

Good luck.

johnandcoll
30-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks Marnie, your experiences exactly parralell mine. I have given up and have now gone to Yahoo but am still waiting for my cotacts to change over before I can use it but it looks promising for voice.

haggis
01-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Have had the same problem with 6, switched back to 5, problem solved

johnandcoll
01-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks to all who replied. My problem is solved, am now using Yahoo Messenger which is a far superior product. No fading out minimal delayand much clearer although no quite qs easy to use.