PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Files that Refuse to Delete

willbry
28-09-2003, 11:59 AM
I have had cause to reinstall a photo editing programme because for some reason it wouldn't recognise my camera for downloading images. I backed up the images I had on to CD. Just as well for on reinstallation the existing image folder will not accept new images into it . I have copied the back up clone folder back into the programme with a different name and it's working fine but the original folder of dozens of images is consuming a large amount of space. It will open but refuses to be deleted, will not allow me to rename it, or move it elsewhere. In other words it's just a duplicate space hog . When I try, I get told It cannot be moved - file error 1026, When i try to rename it I get told "Access denied . It seems to me that when the programme was uninstalled and reinstalled it was left as an orphan folder. Is there any way i can get rid of it and free up the space it's hogging. I have 2 utilities Toniarts Easy clean and JV16 Power Tools installed and have tried to see whether I can access the folder through them to delete it but can't seem to find it in those programmes. Any ideas ? Thanks willbry

godfather
28-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Try deleting it in safe mode.

Keep tapping F8 as the computer boots, and choose safe mode from the menu.

willbry
28-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks godfather for your suggestion. Unfortunately in safemode the programme containing the errant folder requires a minimum of 256 colours to open it and in SM the maximum I can have seems to be 16
Good try though
willbry

godfather
28-09-2003, 02:27 PM
I am puzzled.

Are you trying to delete these files from within the photo editing program itself?
Its just that I have not experienced Windows Explorer needing a minimum resolution to delete a file. Certainly that could be the case with photo editing programs.

I just cannot work out why you want to open the folder when you want to delete it. Sorry for the dumb question, but I must have missed something.

willbry
28-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks for getting back to me godfather. It's one of the sub-folders in Canon Zoom Browser - My Images Folder. It won't let me into C.Zoom Browser [unless I have 256 colours] in order to get at the particular corrupted folder I want to delete. ie I cant access it directly.

Tony.br
28-09-2003, 04:26 PM
You did not mention what version of windows you are using

If it is ME, XP or 2000, I cannot help but if it is W98, I resort to DOS and the DELTREE Command.

Its messy but it works with anything

Drop to DOS and manually change to the folder. Remember that DOS changes the displayed names. ie: MY DOCUMENTS becomes MY DOC~1

Once you find the folder or filename you want, use DIR to find the DOS name

CANON FILES would probably be CANON~1 or similar

now type (with care because this is a dangerous command)

DELTREE CANON~1 (or whatever is displayed)

It will say Delete file y/n

Double check you have it right and press Y

I have used this method many many times in the past and there is nothing it will not delete so use with great care.

It is alos possible to do it in a DOS window, but I prefer to drop to DOS

Good Luck

godfather
28-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Tony's advice is good. Just be careful with deltree though.

I understand why you cant delete the folder now.
Its like sitting on a branch on a tree, while you cut off the branch. Windows prevents you from deleting a part of the program while you are using the program.

I never considered that you would try deleting the folder within the program.

I was assuming that you would boot into safe mode, use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder and delete it. (actually just delete the files in the folder, leave the folder empty)

There is no point using safe mode at all if you then still try and delete the folder while using the program that owns the folder, even if you could open the program in safe mode.

You say you cannot access the folder directly.
Why is that?

Have you tried to find the folder on your hard drive (not while in C.Zoom Browser) and delete the contents, you may not even need safe mode to do that. Just dont load C.Zoom Browser while you do.

willbry
28-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanks Tony and again to you godfather . I've got plenty to work on thanks to you guys. Really appreciate your helpful advice.
:-) willbry

PoWa
28-09-2003, 09:24 PM
In Me/win2k/XP its pretty much the same, you go start -> run -> cmd. Then you navigate to the folder/files and type in:

del /q /f "file name.txt"
or
erase /q /f "file name.txt"

" " are needed if the filename has spaces in it.
/q stops it from prompting you about the erase.
/f removes the file even if it is in use.

I remember I had to do that for avi files I wanted to delete, as windows would be trying to make thumbnails of the files, hence they would be in use and I couldn't delete them normally. In this case, your folder view might be set to thumbnail view, so change it to something else so you can delete the files.