PDA

View Full Version : Help! Deleted BIOS Settings

Jamezo
27-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Due to a little carelessness with looking at switch numbers, I accidentaly wiped my BIOS settings on my Digital Server 500. It booted once alright but failed to recognise the PS2 mouse. I powered down and reset the switches. When I rebooted, the screen which normally shows the installed drives and settings displayed everything as 'Not Installed' or whatever, but the prompt for the SCSI select utility still came up. This was while the monitor was connected to my SIS 6326, which was still functioning as the display adapter, which I thought a trifle odd, considering my BIOS had been wiped. After that it displayed 'No OS found' and after each key press, repeated the message. Subsequent boots made all the usual noises, up till where windows would be loaded, when they would stop, but there was no signal from either the 6326 or the onboard graphics card, which had been disabled when I installed the 6326. I have read about BIOS recovery disks, but I understand they are for when a BIOS flash goes wrong, and involve removing everything except a graphics card and floppy, which I would rather avoid, it is pretty heinous inside the case and I don't think I could fit it back in.
What on earth should I do?

mikebartnz
27-09-2003, 10:50 PM
>This was while the monitor was connected to my SIS 6326, which was still functioning as the display adapter, which I thought a trifle odd, considering my BIOS had been wiped.
Not odd at all because these days the only thing the mother board bios has to do with the Video system is as to whether it boots the AGP or PCI card first.
It looks like you are going to have to go over every bios setting and set them back to what they were if you can remember. You are unlikely to boot to an OS until it can recognise a hard drive.

Jamezo
27-09-2003, 11:30 PM
problem solved, by wiping it again, the display started spontaneously working again... it autodetected the SCSI adaptor and drives ok, but when I got the rest of the settings straightened out, windows wasn't detecting my second CD drive, but fixed itself after going back into the BIOS setup to fix some other settings. back to the original reason for this, I was trying to change the clock speed of the P233 MMX, but I used switches 1-4 instead of 1, 6-8. by looking at the switch setting table, I have surmised that my switch 6 is not working. fortunately this is off for 233 mhz, but it is required for both the 266 and 300 settings. does anyone know if this can be overcome?

Graham L
28-09-2003, 04:00 PM
You could remove the motherboard, and solder a jumper across the two pins at the "6" position. I would not recommend it. :D You might lose all your settings again. :D Or worse. :-( Hardware (and software) works best and longest when it's not disturbed.

Your SCSI was OK, because it doesn't use the BIOS. It has a ROM with BIOS extensions, which are automatically loaded at boot time. The code in that recognises SCSI devices. The standard BIOS does not "know" SCSI.