PDA

View Full Version : installing drivers

beetle
27-09-2003, 09:52 PM
ok really getting lost at this stage have downloaded what we are presuming are the correct drivers or whatever they called VIA hypher somethings?

could not save from desktop to cd so saved to floppy.

put in other machine and now what?

do i extract first and then try to install or ?

and also the wizard prog that started up after i clicked on file box asking where to put the file anyway and i have no idea .

windows where what and how?

simple instructions would be good.

or a site link for me to use and read?

thanxs

beetle

godfather
27-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Is the driver an executable file?

Just tell us the e x a c t name of the file on the disk.

(in the form of filename.extension)

Susan B
27-09-2003, 10:11 PM
Godfather: Beetle has been to this page (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300) for the VIA 4 in 1 drivers and it is an .exe file.

Beetle: Get the file from the floppy onto your desktop and then run it.

Unless Godfather advises otherwise first........ :p

beetle
27-09-2003, 10:13 PM
ok this is what i was told to down load

have no idea if it is correct or how to tell if it isnt or even where to look on the system to find out anyway.

VIA_Hyperion 4in1_V449vp2

???

so where do i look?

yesterday a box poped up saying i needed a VIA (have to go find paper written on for details) filter driver disk ?

dunno
going to find peice of paper.

ho hum
next year im not asking for a new machine..... just a hammer.

beetle

beetle
27-09-2003, 10:14 PM
hell... ok

be back shortly.

beetle

beetle
27-09-2003, 10:19 PM
ok its now on desktop ...

right click run?

will it know where to go is or whatever cos i dont.... :D

beetle

metla
27-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Im gonna presume you have file extensions hidden,so windows doesn't tell you what sort of file you have,Nifty feature that one MS,keep it up.

The file should end with a .zip or .exe extention,telling you wether its compressed or an exacutable,if they are not displayed i suggest you turn that "feature" on.

metla
27-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Just double click it and it will run,installing your chipset drivers.

Providing of course that you do indeed have a via chipset motherboard,which was my best guess seeing as it was asking for via drivers.

Next step is getting modem drivers.....But all these should have been provided on the cd's supplied by PC Company.

Elephant
27-09-2003, 10:34 PM
If the file is on the Desktop and it's an .exe file then just double click the shortcut and it will self extract and run. You will probably get asked if you want to install several drivers. Click yes on all. One of these will be AGP. One will be IDE etc. Click yes on all of them.

beetle
27-09-2003, 10:44 PM
:D ok done that bit and it restarted and it came up new hardware found? all correct? need i do anything else?

does that mean my modem was not load etc from other disk and i have to do that bit again off the pc disk?

beetle

metla
27-09-2003, 11:17 PM
I only mentioned the modem because you said in the other thread that when you went to make a connection,the modem option was grayed out and un-selectable.

Presuming this is the case,then we have to get ya a modem driver.

beetle
27-09-2003, 11:24 PM
hellgets a bit furthor but canot get connect with a dial up ......
bit

so youre telling me the old upgrade kit cd that came with th pc co puter is no longer valid or it didnt pick up the correct stuff offf it?

or i need to look on the net for another download?

and i was told half an hour and ill be all sweet ? try 36 hours so far ....

but then i have not been at my puter for that many hours, yet but thats about from when i started on this dumb idea of a project...

thanxs metla,

where do i look to tell me what sort of modem i have or whatever info i need for it?

beetle

metla
27-09-2003, 11:30 PM
If you have a cd with the modem drivers on it then by all means load it on,i cant really guess what you do or dont have on cd.

But we can have a look and see if windows has found your modem.

To do this go to the control panel,click the "phone and modems options" icon then click the modem tab,It should list your modem in there,if not then it needs a driver.

beetle
27-09-2003, 11:43 PM
it says its a soft 56 data fax voice speakerphone CARP ?

so it must have found it, but why can i not get it to set up access to the net? by means of a new connection?

am i missing something simple here?
or does it need drivers? or something else?

that cd i said about was the same one that supposedly had VIA support info on when it actually didnt work? so am i presuming to much by saying that it wont have modem stuff on it to?

on it says
PCI sound
LAN
HomPNA
Fax/modem
VGA

?

any ideas?
cos i havent a clue :D

beetle

metla
27-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Nope,at the moment i have drawn a blank,the drivers are all in place by the sound of it,and you should be able to make a new connection.

Maybe a search of the forum is in order,or someone else might have 2 cents to inject.

beetle
27-09-2003, 11:49 PM
oh ok thanxs metla,

thats me for tonight to anyway,

patience is a virtue im learning, as rome was not built in a day.

and my puter will live till tomorow without this info.

thanxs all,

beetle

beetle
28-09-2003, 12:09 AM
on a different tack had a look at network settings?

and it comes up add default setting or some such thing.

says Error 711, explains its a configuration error, preventing connection.

any ideas?
will google it tomorow,

beetle

Susan B
28-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Trying this thread now.... :p

Beetle, you have set up your dialup connection to Xtra and Clear, haven't you? The modem won't work unless it knows where to go......

> and i was told half an hour and ill be all sweet ?

Yeah, well, that is how long most people take. But they don't have a habit of throwing sticks in the works! :p :D

Jen C
28-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Does your WinXP disk include SP1, or did you installed SP1 yourself?

beetle
28-09-2003, 10:50 AM
:p susan

yeah well you should know me by now i dont do anything by half.

um will check what is on add / remove progs but i have not put any updates on as of yet since refresh crap thing done.

went down and had a look only thing it has is service pack sp1 a?

treid adding a connection and it just pops up error 711.... looked on google and its says fix it by auto remote thing and something and that then throws up another error at me and wont start it.

it must see my modem as it can tell me what it is, but cant add to it or get my connections wizard working ok.

so yes i tried to tell it what to look for and all that but am lost now,

need some more thrown around i guess so it really becomes clear as mud?

:D

beetle

Jen C
28-09-2003, 11:02 AM
> went down and had a look only thing it has is service
> pack sp1 a?

Ah .... which computers WinXP disk did you use on this PC (your oldest one)? If the disk is label "WinXP inludes SP1a", then that disk belongs to your newer PC.

Does anyone know if this would make a difference to the repair process?

beetle
28-09-2003, 11:12 AM
ok used pc co disk on pc co puter have not even looked at other disks,

just used recovery disk that came with puter, its only a year old,
would it not actually be on it, (note :this is in add remove progs i looked not on disk)

i have no other ideas, got to work now so will check in later for any further options ideas.

ho hum, never expect anything to be easy,especially when it comes to me and computers.....

and next time i decide to do something on the puter some one yell stop beetle remember the last time? dont do it! or maybe run hide beetles about to do something dangerous to her puter!!!

:D

no rest for the wicked i feel.

thanxs all for your help much appreciated as i would not have got this far without it.

beetle

stu140103
28-09-2003, 12:19 PM
> Does anyone know if this would make a difference to
> the repair process?

I do not think so:

you can read more about SP1A:
from the MS site:

For further information about the specific difference between Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 1a (SP1a) for Windows XP, see article 813926Differences Between Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP1a. (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813926) ,

metla
28-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Lookin like a corupted registry entry.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320558

Jen C
28-09-2003, 01:17 PM
That is what I was thinking with all my SP1 questions as well metla - see also (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;329441).

OK Beetle, if we are heading into registry stuff, I think it is time to stop and for you to go to a computer shop where a technician can really see what is going on.

You have given this your best shot - well done for trying :), but for you own sanity, call it quits now.

Jen

beetle
28-09-2003, 04:26 PM
ok why would i have done this?

is it something i did?

ok and so im better off getting them to reinstall the lot and start back at the begining? and back up my stuff ? as it may well come back blank?

or what else will they do?

why did they not do this before they sent it back to me?

oh brother big waste of yours and my time to get this far and i really feel the hammer option is to good for it at moment.....

thanxs so much for every ones help, if i do get it fixed ill let you know how i get on....

one sad and tired beetle.......

Jen C
28-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Don't be too sad beetle - think of all the new things you have learnt. These things happen - sometimes the OS does it to itself, other times it requires a little user input :p.

From the recent history of this PC, it sounds as if something deeper than a repair would fix has happened.

If you do end up with a complete reformat being done, ask if they could partition your hard drive for you - say 25 gigs for C (Windows) and 15 gigs for D so that you can store all your personal documents, photo's, music, school stuff onto it. This means that if you need to reinstall XP at a later date (or it gets completely corrupted and is unbootable) all your data will be safe on the separate partition and won't be touched/lost. This new partition can also be used for storing Ghost Images onto if you wish at a later date to get this very handy program.

The computer shop will backup all your current personal files (but check with them what this includes), and put them back onto the drive for you afterwards. Also get them to install all your other software such as MS Works, Printer software etc. Check whether they will update XP with the available critical updates.

Then all you will have to do is to install your own downloaded favourite programs and things should be hunky-dory again :)

Cheers
Jen :)

beetle
28-09-2003, 10:20 PM
just another word of thanxs to people and if wasnt for you all i wouldnt have got this far or known i had a problem at all.
let alone knowing what to do at all.

and yes i have learnt alot and also at times scared the living daylights out of myself, but i beleive now if i ever have to do this again for any number of stupid reasons :D i could actually do it...!

so basically Thanxs to all who have helped me over this and the other thread i had going.

and you should all be proud at how much help you guys / girls give to us relative noobies, the support is amazing.
and take a bow or a pat on the back and maybe even a choccy fish ? :D

id make one but dont know how yet... :p

thanxs
beetle

godfather
28-09-2003, 10:32 PM
__
o /' )
/' ( ,
__/' ) .' `;
o _.-~~~~' ``---..__ .' ;
_.--' b) ``--...____.' .'
( _. )). `-._ <
`\|\|\|\|)-.....___.- `-. __...--'-.'.
jgs `---......____...---`.___.'----... .' `.;
`-` `

One bite should be enough from this choccy fish?

beetle
28-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Wow thanxs Goddie saved the day again :D

and should go around the pf1 people nicly dont you think?

beetle

beetle
29-09-2003, 09:12 PM
:_| :_| :_|

more lemon news......

after all that work my puter guy came and had a look and after half an hour of looking and discussing our options and what we / he thinks is wrong with it ...... it is now going on another little holiday to his house where he will reformat it for me and get it up and running to net level for me, and also do my updates and prog instalations as well.

and he said hopefully we do not find any hard ware probs while he does that, and he watched it go through start up mode and a restart and said its not even starting properly ( and i admitted it has always started that way) and said it shouldnt ....
and its now thrwing out errors when asking extra info, properties of things and it has also changed the modem details on us, and still not highlighting the dial modem option.

so its stuffed. and the laugh is he has another pc co puter he's working on at same time, with similar issues... and he see's lots of lemons these days...... :D good for him i guess.

we are also checking out our insurance options again as it needs additional repairs, and as this is the 2nd time back to the shop may be easier to replace.... with a non pc co puter .... a made one not a bought one. :D

ill keep you posted.

beetle

Susan B
30-09-2003, 06:30 AM
Well it sounds like you are finally getting somewhere, Beetle. :-)

Don't consider all this futzing around to be wasted, even though it has been stressful for you (and us!!!), because you have learnt quite a lot during this saga haven't you?

We will keep our fingers crossed that you will soon have your computer back again soon behaving just like a good little PC should do. :p :D

ilikelinux
30-09-2003, 10:16 AM
i'm probably saying this to late but ...
If you like i can probably find the drivers on the driver cd for the modem that you have right next to me.

Yes, i do have the same modem.