PDA

View Full Version : Removing heatsink

peterhenry58
26-09-2003, 10:58 PM
I recently built a new system using a socket 478 Celeron 2.0 GHz cpu to save money, but with the intention of upgrading the cpu later.

I am now worried that when I remove the heatsink I may damage the cpu and/or socket.

Last time I tried to remove a heatsink it yanked the cpu out of the socket while it was still clamped shut. It did not damage the socket but it did bend the pins on the cpu.

Is there a safe way to remove the heatsink without damaging the cpu/socket?

tweak\'e
26-09-2003, 11:42 PM
basicly just twist it off or use a fine bit of fishing line to saw the heatsink paste between the cpu and heatsink.

peterhenry58
27-09-2003, 09:55 AM
The problem is the heatsink is mounted in a bracket which prevents me twisting it of getting a fishing line under it. Unless there is someway of removing the bracket?

BootyLicious
27-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Did the heatsink and fan come with your celeron, if so and you didn't us any Thermal past. just undo the clips that holds it all together and you could find that the heatsink comes off easy.

sorry about the spalling?:|

pompeymike
27-09-2003, 11:48 AM
you shouldn't have a problem removing the heatsink, it should easily come away from the cpu. I can understand your concerns because I've done the same as you in the past. In the old days (I'm showing my age), they practically glued the heatsinks on and yes I've managed to rip the whole socket off of the motherboard and destroyed half of the pins on the cpu. Fortunately these days there's just a smear of paste under the heatsink so you shouldn't have a problem.

BootyLicious
27-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Can i ask what you are upgrading your 2ghz celeron to?

peterhenry58
27-09-2003, 12:29 PM
A Pentium 4 Northwood of some type. I am waiting until the prices drop a bit. I would like the P4 2400C with 800Mhz FSB. The wholesale price is around $370 + GST at present.