PDA

View Full Version : Internet Behaving Badly

Blue Druid
26-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Using W2K Pro, I can connect to my ISP (dialup) but cannot download email nor connect to any web sites. There appears, however, to be a large volume of traffic on the connection as evidenced by the sent/received data volumes which increase dramatically during connection. This applies to three different dial-up connections (Clear, Paradise and Quik.)

I have tried to use the Task Manager to determine what processes are running but it will not open for more than a fraction of a second and then closes itself.

Several virus checks with PC Cillan using updates from yesterday morning have come up clean.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled TCP/IP, uninstalled PC Cillan with no improvement.

If all all fails I will reformat but would prefer to fix it if there is a way to do so easily. Thanks in advance for your help.

csinclair83
26-09-2003, 07:29 PM
you might have spyware or some sort of dialer....
if u have adaware use it, if not, lemmie know and i'll find the download link

it aint a problem with isps as i'm with quik internet

Blue Druid
26-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks for that. I should have mentioned that I had updated Adaware within the last 24 hours and that also came up clean. I would have suspected a dialler except that there is no attempt to dial up when a connection is not present.

csinclair83
26-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Umm I have to apologise as i'm not sure what we could do...
but i am pretty sure that someone here can help but a reformat would be totally off the agenda...so give it 2nite and perhaps 2morrow to let people here help :)

Blue Druid
26-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey, thank you for the encouragement :) I have this work laptop to play with in the meantime so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

tweak\'e
26-09-2003, 08:57 PM
i would install a firewall. at the very least it should show what app is connecting to the net. you may have a virus or trojen.

Blue Druid
26-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Would I be right in guessing that PC Cillan firewall is unable to detect this. If not, what would you recommend?

Blue Druid
29-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Uninstalling PC-Cillan and installing Kerio revealed that Quicktime was taking over the connection. Problem solved! Thank you guys!

csinclair83
29-09-2003, 03:55 PM
as i said....a reformat wasnt nessercary :-) glad u stayed with us with patience :-)