PDA

View Full Version : Startup sound has gone

gerrypics
26-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Hello, on XP I have lost startup and close down sounds, also email notification sound. Mouse click and media sounds all seem to be working ok. Any help appreciated.

ilikelinux
26-09-2003, 08:07 PM
right click the sound icon in the task bar
then ajust audio propertys
then click sounds
then find the operation that makes the sound go (like exit windows) and click on it
then a list will appear at the bottom ao fthe dialog box, there you can choose the sound that you want.

you can also change other sounds.

gerrypics
26-09-2003, 08:32 PM
The sound scheme is set to windows default & I can preview the event sounds but it turns out that none of them will work when they are supposed to eg. email notification and emptying the recycle bin do not work. Its got me abit lost at the moment.

ilikelinux
26-09-2003, 08:38 PM
And this is what you get when you have the most expensive windows op. ever?
Microsoft is starting to get a bad name from Pressf1.

Sorry can't help you any more.

gerrypics
26-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks for your help anyway.

Gerry

gerrypics
26-09-2003, 09:58 PM
I should change the name of this thread to: "Program events sounds do not work." Interest thing is that when I logon to guest user a/c the program event sounds do work.

FrankS
27-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Go to Microsoft Knowledge Base and enter Win XP plus Sound Settings
A lot of the problems appear to be associated with upgrades or new installations
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?lh=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&
Alternative is to change one sound and check if it is working in both Admin and Guest Accts

ilikelinux
29-09-2003, 04:24 PM
or the easier way is to make a new user and copy all old settings accros.

beama
29-09-2003, 05:39 PM
that may copy the corrupt settings for the sound too, lose lose situation

gerrypics
29-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your replies. I ended up by formatting & reinstalling xp yesterday which was on my things to do list anyway. Still do not no what caused it but by doing a bit of research I found that this is not an uncommon problem with no straight forward remedy.

agent_24
30-09-2003, 10:35 PM
the same thing happened to me after installing norton systemworks and running norton windoctor for the first time. it doesnt seem to like XP. i find the best thing is if you have systemworks - dont use the windoctor. it is not XP's fault. either way, i havent run windoctor since.