PDA

View Full Version : need help : Susan B ?

beetle
26-09-2003, 05:04 PM
please help

doing a refresh / repair and its asking me it needs additional info on where a filter driver disk is?

wherre it is located can i just tick ok or give it a destination it has a drop box when checking info ?

beetle

beetle
26-09-2003, 05:08 PM
a VIAAGPI.SYS it says ? on a VIAAGP filter driver disk.

lost me

beetle

beetle
26-09-2003, 05:35 PM
anybody?

beetle

Graham L
26-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Try putting in the CD which belongs with the motherboard.

beetle
26-09-2003, 05:44 PM
its a new mother board .

if i put in the cd which has VGA and LAN and other asorted things on it will it accept that you think?

totally lost as its not in my notes that its gonna ask this....

or what im suposed to reply.
beetle

Billy T
26-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Jeepers beetle, you don't half get into trouble quick:O

Is this your new computer by any chance? and what did it do to make you think such drastic action was needed?

If this is going to happen to you a lot you really do need to get into drive imaging using Ghost or other similar program so that you don't have to get into all this heavy technical stuff. You just start the imaging process then go away and have a cup of tea. When you come back, everything is sweet and as it was.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
26-09-2003, 06:02 PM
If it came with the new motherboard, and it has the name "VIA" on it, it's probably your best chance. You might have to browse a bit on it to find the AGP directory it seems to be asking for.

metla
26-09-2003, 06:05 PM
I'd say ignore it,untill the process of reloading windows is finished,then load on the motherboard drivers from the motherboard cd.By the looks of the file name your motherboard is running the via chipset,If you dont have the cd then the via 4-in-1 driver package is easy to track down thru google.

metla
26-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Running the file name trhru google turned up this.

http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/82/82194.htm

Whiich apears to be a stand alone via agp driver.

metla
26-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Actually,ignore that,from the comments thats a user modified driver.

So,load the drivers from the cd or grab the via 4-in 1 drivers from the net.

beetle
26-09-2003, 06:23 PM
:D

got it sorted ...... when all else fails ring somebody!!!!!!

no really ended up ignore / cancel that option and let it go from there,

and its still going now, doing a win xp home set up crap

and Billy T no its not the work new puter its the one no longer in warraty and has no company by that name running in NZ anymore :D.

and its fine now..... or seems to be going ok and ill let you know how i get on at the finish....

as it wasnt in my notes that it was going to ask this i panicked a little but got it sorted and one phone call $$$$ later nerves settled and coffee time....

and also they said they replaced the mother board but gave me know details of what i have now and know new disk with it....
so went into bios and checked it out and changed it to boot from cd etc and went from there , and isnt this what a geek is being about?
scarying the living daylights out of yourself and all other people on pf1 as well????

thank god for weekends......

so if all works out and i actually get win xp home working .... do i get a choccy fish ? or do i have to give every one else one?

:D :p
bloody hell what an after noon ..... and am in know hurry to do that for a while people.

beetle

beetle
26-09-2003, 06:36 PM
oh another question :

windows activation if this prog has been activated before will it be able to do it again ok?

im not going to run into problems doing this am i?

which is easiest way ?

phone net or ?

ok going to have a look now,

thanxs all,

gotta keep things interesting for ya people....
life would be boring other wise ...... hehehehehe

beetle

beetle
26-09-2003, 07:24 PM
:_| :_|

stupid beep beep machines,

ok got it to go back or forward ? to win xp being on it and all my stuff still appears to be there, but cannot get it to add a net connection as it only looks for broad band ?
so thought ok cant see modem?

put on recovery disk with modem and all associated crap on it and goes through set up and then comes up error, no VIA !!!!! so now what does this mean?

so ive stuffed the stupid thing up good and proper and cant access the net on it thank god for other machine.

so im picking its not looking in correct place for this info, or even for the modem am i corect?

a bit of knowlege about now would be really good please....

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i spoke to soon before huh....

beetle

metla
26-09-2003, 07:57 PM
VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers
For all VIA chipsets using Microsoft™ Windows Operating Systems

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

beetle
26-09-2003, 08:00 PM
er thanxs i think? what am i supposed to do with it?

how do i know which thing / part etc i need?

one long handeled black heavy hammer would be good about now dont ya think?

i may need a little more explanation or help on this one i feel thanxs metla

beetle

Jen C
26-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Have you got your motherboard CD - the one with the VIA name on it? If you have one, just load the motherboard drivers from it. If you don't have the CD, from the link that metla posted, you need to download VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.49, released 20 August 2003 (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300) - read the installation instructions given on the site. Once downloaded, don't unzip the file, but copy it onto a CD and then transfer it to the other PC - then unzip and install it (choose the quick install option).

beetle
26-09-2003, 09:18 PM
ok first up im presuming its this mother board thing.... VIA as thats the one it said i didnt have ? (error sort of thing box)

and two i have no idea how to find it on my puter even if it was there where to look or anything at mo.

have had another look at this site of metla's (thank you metla)
and actually had time to read it a little.... but it does nt actually say xp ? but am presuming its talking about all latest systems as such ( anything in 2000?
and yes i had worked out ill need to download it onto a CD and then transport it to other puter.

thats presuming its not an auto unzip file thing.

and hey presto should have all correct info needed huh?

thanxs all for your help and putting up with beetles escapades again... :D

beetle

beetle
26-09-2003, 09:24 PM
er whats the difference between HTTP and FTP ? and which should i use?

im still having trouble getting my head round this one as you can tell, bare with me people ill get it in the end hopefully.

beetle

Steve Askew
26-09-2003, 09:26 PM
> oh another question :
>
> windows activation if this prog has been activated
> before will it be able to do it again ok?
>
> im not going to run into problems doing this am i?
>
> which is easiest way ?
>
> phone net or ?

You shouldn't have any probs with activation.
I reactivated My XP Pro Upgrade on a completly new computer after 18months & had no problems.
!st time I activated on telephone Via modem & 2nd time I used net.

Cheers Steve

beetle
27-09-2003, 09:10 PM
hi there again.

just a wee problem im having now.

after a no go saving from desktop to CD i saved to floppy instead and then transfered it to other puter and whatzit wizard thing is asking me where to put it?? (no rudeness please)
and i am not sure ?
windows under what? am i looking for? it has driver cache but not actually VIA or something like that as far as i can see so am i looking in wrong spot?

who said this stuff is easy?

help please

beetle

Susan B
28-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Beetle, you have set up your dialup connection to Xtra and Clear, haven't you? The modem won't work unless it knows where to go......

> and i was told half an hour and ill be all sweet ?

Yeah, well, that is how long most people take. But they don't have a habit of throwing sticks in the works! :p :D

Susan B
28-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Arghhh! :O

Had both threads open and posted in the wrong damn one! :D

Jen C
28-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Yes, this is getting a tad confusing with a new thread continued from this one :D

OK, if you are reading this, then head over to this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=39858&start=0&msRange=50) now.