PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Problems

willamette
26-09-2003, 10:06 AM
I recently bought a new graphics card (AGP, 64MB DDR, GeForce 4 MX440 its just a entry-level one). When I installed in on my PC, the display didn't go.

However when I remove the card and connect it back to the onboard graphics, it goes. Why is this so? Is the new graphics card faulty?

Susan B
26-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Did you disable the onboard graphics prior to installing the graphics card?

John Grieve
26-09-2003, 10:52 AM
You need to get into the BIOS at startup (usually press delete key on keyboard but you can see what to do from the messages onscreen at boot as the key to press is usually displayed on the bottom of the screen for a few seconds). It will say something at the bottom of the screen like Press del to enter setup.

Once in the BIOS you will usually find the setting you need to disable under "Integrated Peripherals". It will say something like "Use onboard graphics" and you should highlight it then disable it (you usually need to hit either +or- or pageup/pagedown to change the setting.

Once you have done that "Save and Exit" from the BIOS, make sure new card is in and all should be well (i.e. at boot windows will detect the new card and ask for the drivers).