PDA

View Full Version : CloneCD creates non-existing drive

MrBeef
26-09-2003, 10:01 AM
I installed CloneCD not 3 days ago and i soon found out that i had another CD-Rom drive called F:/ now as it seems F:/ is reading all my cds and E: (my normal cd rom drive) aint doing tooo much.

I have unchecked AutoInsert Notification on both the drives in there (?) for some reason there is a DVD drive on E:/ (i dont have a dvd drive) and my LITEON CD-RW is on F:/.

I have win98se, clone cd version 4.2.0.2. Adaptec CreateCD 4 (or whatever its called)

Its not reallly a problem just i dont want it there

agent
26-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Many software packages like CloneCD and Alcohol have the ability to create virtual CD drives. These drives often appear as DVD drives, and are simply for the purpose of mounting images of other CDs that you have made on your computer (or any other storage medium capable of holding a CD image).

It's been a long time since I used CloneCD (and I use Alcohol now), but you should be able to change the settings somewhere (like Options or Settings in a menu), and set the number of virtual CD drives.

If I recally properly, you can also right click on the icon in the system tray and configure the virtual drives there. You can add up to about 10 drives or just turn the feature off completely if you aren't going to use it.

Pheonix
26-09-2003, 10:22 AM
If you save an image of a CD to your hard drive. Then go to your e: (the virtual drive) right click it and choose mount, then point it to your image.
It now appears that you have the CD in the drive. It can be treated as though it was physically there.

Susan B
26-09-2003, 10:37 AM
> It now appears that you have the CD in the drive. It can be treated as though it was physically there.

How long for, Pheonix? Until the CD is removed or when the computer is rebooted? Or until you no longer require it?

agent
26-09-2003, 10:48 AM
:D

Don't know if CloneCD supports it, but Alcohol can remount images upon reboot.

Jester
26-09-2003, 11:15 AM
It should appear as a 'Virtual Clone Drive' in windows explorer. Right clicking and selecting Virtual Clone Drive / Mount will give you the option to load an image into the drive. You browse to Clone CD images on your Hard drive. You also have the option to 'Unmount' the image.

You can save the images of CD's somewhere (I have a folder called 'Images' for this) and therefore play games without having to put the CD in the PC, by just 'Mounting' the image of the game you want to play when needed.

J

Jester
26-09-2003, 11:17 AM
oh, I have just repeated what was said already haha. Nevermind!

Anyway, I can confirm that Clone CD will retain the image in the Virtual Drive until Unmounted, through successive reboots etc.

J

MrBeef
26-09-2003, 01:33 PM
oh i see...thanks.

I was trying all sorts of things like removing it from device manager etc.
Then i uninstalled it and wallah its gone..but then now that i understand what /how it works i might re-instal it

PoWa
26-09-2003, 01:44 PM
CloneCd drive is an extremely useful feature :) I turned mine up to 6 virtual drives, for all my game images :)

You can specify how many virtual drives you want by turning on the CloneCd tray.

Are you sure the images don't get lost when you reboot? I think you might have to remount them at reboot. I'm going to do a little check now ;)

PoWa
26-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Yer I just checked, you have to remount the CloneCd drives after reboot. Any way you can make it remount them automatically?