PDA

View Full Version : DVD Writting - Formats and Playing in your living room!!!

JamesStewart
25-09-2003, 08:44 PM
It is clear now that if you are buying a DVD Writter, you should fork out a little more money to get one that will do both + and - formats. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Also, my dad has a laptop that is a DVD/CDRW combo drive (not a DVD R/RW), how do I know what format the drive is, weather it is +R/RW or - R/RW... The manual doesn't seem to say ...

Sorry for all the questions but I am a newbie to DVD formats and writting... Is there a site that will give the the "jist" of this + and - thing? I mean, if I am backing up information on my computer and just for my computer (not to be used on another computer) what is the better format to use? And also, I sorta wanna know where I can find out about burning movies (.avi's and .mpeg's) into DVD Player readable movies, so they can be played on a normal living room DVD player..

Thanks for your time

James

PoWa
25-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Check out this site: Official DVD Faq (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html)

I think both dvd-r and dvd+r about 90% of time will play in most standalone dvd players. Its just a matter of finding out which one works for yours.

For your DVD/cd-rw combo drive, there isn't seperate formats like cd+rw, or cd-rw. They have already standardised the way we record to CD, so there isn't multiple recording formats available for that. Its only because they haven't decided on an official format for DVD that there is multiple formats available.

So when you make cds there will only be one way you can do it. You can choose the filesystem and how it is burnt onto the cd though, e.g ISO9660, joliet, UDF etc. And how it is burnt either 'track at once' or 'disc at once' etc.

JamesStewart
25-09-2003, 09:36 PM
I ment would format DVD would the DVD/CDRW combo drive read.....

gazza007
27-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Try here
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
They have a lot of info on drives/media/programs
If you know the model DVD/CDRW you can look up formats played
Gary
(Using Sony DRU-500A,dvD Shrink to back up movies,Ritek G03 for media)
gazza