PDA

View Full Version : ink cartridge refil-no go

rdee
25-09-2003, 03:23 PM
I had a canon BC-20 ink cartridge refilled but I cannot make it work.Before I send it back can anybody tell me about refils ? CHEERS rdee

godfather
25-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Refilling is more an art than a science.
They either work well, work poorly or don't work at all.

Manufactured cartridges have a critical pressure/vacuum (depending on the type) that is very hard to replicate when refilling.
Given the price difference the risks are probably well worth taking, if you use the printer for non critical home use.

I gave up on refills, as the quality of print tended to suffer, and in a commercial environment where colour presentations need to be perfect, thats not acceptable to me.

B.M.
25-09-2003, 05:23 PM
That is the same cartridge as I use and Iíve refilled mine at least a dozen times and the print is still as good as ever.

The cartridge will actually hold 40ml so you canít get into trouble over filling with a 30ml Calidad 938-BK refill.

The big difference is $10.46 for a refill as opposed to $75 for a new cartridge.

You may find if the cartridge has been left dry for a while it needs a little encouragement to get it going. You could try the following.

Fold and dampen the corner of a paper towel and carefully wipe the print head. Sometimes just leaving the printhead sitting on a wet paper towel overnight will do the trick. If this doesnít work then the next step is to blow through the filler hole on top of the cartridge. Do this over the laundry tub. Ink should run out of the printhead. Make sure you clean up any excess ink with a damp paper towel before replacing the cartridge in the printer.

Run the head cleaning programme on the printer and you should be away.

Whilst computers have caused me all sorts of anguish over the years for some reason I have never experienced any problems refilling cartridges so naturally Iím all for it. The saving also makes the effort rewarding.

Bob

Biggles
25-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Personaly I've had an inkjet require servicing to fix damage done by a re-filled cartrodge and after that have avoided them. The money I daved wasn't worth the $300 I payed to get the inkjet working again.

rdee
26-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the info on getting a ink refil going.I soaked the cartridge overnite-gave it a blow!.The ink is there OK but it does not work-I will work on it & check for faults-Thanks rdee

CYaBro
26-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Our shop repairs inkjet printers and we've lost count on the number of times a printer has come in with a fault and we've traced the fault to refilled ink cartridges.

I say don't do it! But then again maybe I should say "Do it!" to keep us working! :)

*Sparky*
26-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Reminds me of the Toyota ad on tv: "But of course I have to say that."