PDA

View Full Version : PCW CD - people's poll

Biggles
25-09-2003, 09:08 AM
People, we're considering dropping the splash screen (that little bit that pops up with music) from the PCW Plus CD and opening straight to the home page instead. My personal opinion is that though it may be cute on first load, it propably ceases to be on subsequent uses of the CD.

So have your say: Splash screen or no splash screen.

Bruce Buckman - PC World

oggy
25-09-2003, 09:17 AM
No splash screen...let's just go straight to the good stuff.

tbacon_nz
25-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Yeah, get rid of it. I've always thought it was a waste of time.

odyssey
25-09-2003, 09:19 AM
The splash screen is neat to look at once, but it would be better if on subsequent loads you could get out of it straight away rather than having to wait for it to load fully (ie. on subsequent loads if you didn't want to view the splash screen you could hit escape for example and it would then move onto the home page straight away).

Jester
25-09-2003, 09:26 AM
No to the splash screen.

J
:D

Chilling_Silently
25-09-2003, 09:27 AM
To tell the truth, the PCW CD Autorun file hasnt run in the last 6ish months for me, I've just browsed the CD and never actually see the HTML files.. I know what's on there that I want and the layouts pretty good so its easy to find the app I want on it!

A Second autorun file for another OS would be a thought ;-)

Cant really say I miss the Splash screen, though I've heard they're pretty cool :-)

Babe Ruth
25-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Bruce,

Ditch the Splash Screen! (Rarely autoran the cd anyway... :-) )

Cheers, Babe.

hazza
25-09-2003, 09:41 AM
yeah get rid the movie thing and get a new cd case aswell cause there really hard to open up and get the cd out and stuff

hzz

Pheonix
25-09-2003, 09:44 AM
I'll keep it unanimous. No splash screen.

Chilling_Silently
25-09-2003, 09:44 AM
> yeah get rid the movie thing and get a new cd case
> aswell cause there really hard to open up and get the
> cd out and stuff
>
Hmmm... Interesting.. I found that in the last 3 months, my little plastic case has had to be ripped fully before I could get the CD out. Glue's too damn good ;-) lol

metla
25-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Kill it.

Always gives me drama when i try to access one of the cd's,i just go around it and copy everything im interested in off the cd in one foul swoop for later examination.

Susan B
25-09-2003, 09:52 AM
What splash screen??

I always go straight to the homepage via Win Explorer rather than autoload so I have never seen it. :D

Better add my vote to the others - ditch the splash screen. ;-)

tweak\'e
25-09-2003, 10:08 AM
no splash screen, it holds up the main page from starting and can crash pc's.

mejobloggs
25-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Actually, I didn't mind it. It wouldn't bother me if it stayed or went though.

Murray P
25-09-2003, 10:24 AM
You've taken a risk Bruce!

Give it the chop. The covers could do with a little work, they may a well be sealed. Autorun for another OS would be handy at times.

Cheers & thanks for asking, Murray P

nzStan
25-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Splash screen - it has never bothered me.

Steve Askew
25-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Git rid of the splash screen

Cheers Steve

-=JM=-
25-09-2003, 10:51 AM
I quite like the splash screen actually. Quite often it's the only thing I'll look at on the disk because I have this really bad habit of already grabbing anything I want that is on it from the 'net before hand.

When it comes down to it I'd rather see Scott put more attention on to getting better stuff on the CDs than playing around in Flash. Though it is good to hear the music that is on it each month.

All in all, function over form so ditch it. I'm just as happy to browse for the files manually but it might not be as good for some of the other readers out there.

Fully agree on the CD envelope things, they've been getting really bad lately. I must say I much preferred the older thicker plastic ones instead of these cellophane like ones as well.

Also I must mention that there was no mention on the September CD that the OpenOffice.org 1.1 was a release candidate. Well not that I noticed anyway.

After just whipping in the CD then to double check that I change my made. Keep the splash screen or atleast keep the music somewhere. It's good way to find out some good bands to listen to.

cold_fu5ion
25-09-2003, 11:04 AM
I like the splash screen, but it gets anoyng after the first 2 times. I'd keep the local music on the cd tho. And don't even get me started on those new cases...........

parry
25-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Ditto with others. Its cool ... the first time. ;-) Wears a bit thin after that because you have to click on the image to go fwd to the menu. Perhaps if the splash screen was quicker and shot you straight there, then its less of an annoyance?

Chilling_Silently
25-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Why not make a cookie ]:)

Gordon.
25-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Lose the Splash Screen.

Biggles
25-09-2003, 11:27 AM
I believe the annoying plastic sleaves have done their dash - I think they're going back to the (slightly) better quality jobs next time round. Can't swear to that just now.

While we're at it, feel free to make some suggetsions for what you'd like to see on the CD. Here's a few cavets though:

1] Size: We obviously cannot fill the CD with a 400MB single-product file and leave little room for other stuff. For example, all the regulars like latest versions of browsers etc take up a fair bit by themselves.

2] We try to put on a good amount of programs that are mentioned in articles in the issue (vendor/author permission allowing, and file size too).

3] We do try to include a game demo most times round as it's a bit of fun and these things are huge iof you're downloading from the Net.

hazza
25-09-2003, 11:32 AM
you could have patches for games on the cd

hzz

Thomas
25-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Begone flash screen lest you bother us more;)

Chilling_Silently
25-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Suggestions... Bruce, Im sure you've seen this one coming from me:

How about a huge thing sometime soon on Open-Source stuff... You've done OpenOffice and I think that was accepted with arms wide open, but how about doing the latest:
Mozilla
MozillaFirebird
MozillaThunderbird

for Linux and Doze!!
With all due respect, obviously you know I'm not the only person here who's not microsoft-associated, and things have immensely improved over the last 4-5 months, while doze users are still the major majority, things like the Mozilla series are excellent (IMHO) because they're compatible with Win32 and Linux (Not to mention Solaris, FreeBSD and a few others, but I dont think we need to go there ;-)).

Am I the only one who'd be interested in that, or are there others out there too?

Neil McC
25-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I agree,it just gets in the way of getting to the real bits!
;\

Biggles
25-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Latest release candidate of OpenOffice will be on November (may even be release, not "candidate" if latest RC gets the nod by compilation time).

I hear you about open source and Linux. We put Linux Mozilla on the last CD (I think) but again, it is very easy to fill up a CD with full-release open source apps.

Game patches: No, we won't do these for several reasons. Firstly, which to choose? There is a huge number of them and you could fill up several DVDs each month. Secondly, since these change often it is better to stick with the developers/publishers web site for these.

Blue Druid
25-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Never liked the splash screen and liked the music even less.

I would prefer to see the space used for good freeware utilities.

As for the case... you could wrap it in old fish and chip papers for all I care coz I always give it a special colour-coded case :-)

tweak\'e
25-09-2003, 12:09 PM
i didn't really like the open office on the cd myself, simply due to the last one being a Release Canditate not the final ver.

browsers- IE with all major updates, mozilla/firebird and opera.

email progs- eudora, pegasus, the bat, foxmail and antispam tools eg mail washer.

media- a few media players and comman codecs.

also apps that can run on mulitplatforms eg opera for win and linux. makes the transition from winblows to linux a whole lot nicer.

security section- blaster patch etc, firewalls and antivirus updates, avg,nortons etc. virus removal tools.

and how about an MS UPDATES CD ! !

parry
25-09-2003, 12:18 PM
I think the contents pretty good myself. Only suggestion would be to add
a database of previous CD's contents.

PCGamer used to (maybe still do) have a small database which listed the reviews they had in their mag. Was quite handy for a quick rundown on those older games you see in the bargain bins.

It would be nice to be able to have a database of the contents of previous mths PCWCD in a similar manner. Currently its a mission to find which utility(or MS update :-)) was in which months PCW disc. You would just need to update it each month and shouldnt be big as its just text after all.

robsonde
25-09-2003, 12:19 PM
no splash screen.

the content on the CD is v-cool but the delay to get to it is not cool.

Chilling_Silently
25-09-2003, 12:39 PM
I thought MS didnt allow people to put the patches on CD etc for Distrobution?

Certainly the fix and a download location for the blaster per say would be along those lines...!

And yeah, was a bummer it wasnt a final release, but better than the OOo that ships with my Distro.. and there's none shipping with Doze, so its better than nothing.

Apparently this final release will be the one that will start really tipping the scales on Microsoft Office's superiority!

Bruce>
I hear what you mean, Im not suggesting you include the latest binaries or source for GNOME/KDE, rather along the lines of what you guys have been doing (With OpenOffice and all... many thanks for that :-)) but not just limited to OOo.

I guess Tweak'e summed up what I was thinking, with Multi-platform apps.
GAIM is nice, many people simply dont know it exists once they've heard the word Trillian.
VideoLAN Client is something cool as well, but we're going off track here ;-)

But anyways, Are you allowed to put MS patches on the CD?

Murray P
25-09-2003, 01:22 PM
> I thought MS didnt allow people to put the patches on
> CD etc for Distrobution?
>
>
> But anyways, Are you allowed to put MS patches on the
> CD?

They've had them before Chill. 98 sp, w2k & maybe xp.

>and how about an MS UPDATES CD ! !

Maybe PCW will need to ship us 120GB hard drives instead of CD's. Would be cheaper to give us all a Linux distro ;)

I like most of the music at the splash screen, its the bother 2nd, 3rd... time round.

Cheers Murray P

ruup
25-09-2003, 02:08 PM
remove the flash screen
cheers
ruup

Kame
25-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Couldn't you have someone work on it so that it is shown just the once on their computer and then on not show?

Although I don't have autorun on so I never see it or the index page, I usually browse the cd from explorer.

Dropping it would be my option.

Halwende
25-09-2003, 02:44 PM
My 5c on the cover CD...

* Latest browser releases (IE SP1, Mozilla, etc)
* Current DirectX version (9.0a, 9.0b, etc)
* Media Player codecs/codec packs are always useful
* I see game demos as a waste, I buy game magazines for those (which come with cover DVD(s) full of gaming goodness - stick to what your magazine covers - and games it should not, no offence!)
* Those little "useful" apps are great, things like AIDA32, you guys know your way around the net and what apps are useful to real-world users, that knowledge is valuable and that makes your cover CDs ever-so-useful
* NZ music is okay, I wouldn't miss it if it went though
* Movie trailers - I like these very much, would be good if you kept going with these imo

For me I look at a cover CD as being something that should contain the latest in software, keeping your readers up to date. How about a regular section for virus definitions and/or a "spotlight" on what worm/virus is most commonly doing the rounds atm, maybe add things like the "removal tools" for MSBlast, that sort of thing.

Personally I like [your] cover CDs because it means I can grab things like DirectX 9.0b without having to wait ages on my dial-up, I keep all the PCW CDs in a holder with my own back-up CDs for that very reason, in case my OS HDD ever goes belly-up I won't have to download for 6 weeks non-stop to get all the essential items my PC needs. A good example of this are the cover CDs that come with Atomic Magazine.

What's your stance on the possibility of a cover DVD?

Biggles
25-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Seems a pretty conclusive response so far. Unless those hordes of "we love the splash screen" fans are a vast, silent majority, I think I'll take this response as indicative of most folks opinions ...

PoWa
25-09-2003, 02:46 PM
The splash screen always seems to make my cd drives churn and whirr away for a good 20-30secs before loading anything. I was wondering how you make them, are they multi-session or something? Because I expect that sort of load time for reading a cd with multiple recording sessions. So in answer to that, please get rid of the splash screen :) And maybe no auto-load either because I like to browse the cd when I am ready. :)

As for the cd sleeves, I open the thing up, then half of it re-sticks again to the cellophane, so I open that corner again, then I get the cd half out and it sticks to the cd this time adding some gunk to it (maybe why it loads so slow), then I get the cd out and stick it in the drive, by that stage the wrapper is sticking to my fingers and I have to go *arggghh!!* and screw it up and bin it! Ever watched the episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets a bandage stuck to him, and he goes through the episode trying to get rid of it? Well, same situation :D

What could be on the cd... well some more Movie trailers would be nice. they seem to be missing from the last few episodes. Some security encryption software would be nice (drivecrypt, pgp etc).

Biggles
25-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Re the plastic bags. The October issue will still have the awful ones, but after that they are goign back to the ones used before which are easier to open.

JJJJJ
25-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Get rid of it

JJJJJ
25-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Get rid of it

heaton
25-09-2003, 04:24 PM
No Splash Screan Please.

antmannz
25-09-2003, 06:44 PM
No splash screen ... it was done in Flash wasn't it?? as that always seems to take some time to load on an older PC.

Content:
A couple of movie trailers per month.
One game demo per month.
The latest DX version once every 2 or 3 months.
Rotate the browsers on a monthly basis.
Rotate firewall and antivirus software on a monthly basis.
Fill the rest with freeware goodness. :)

Envelope:
Personally I like the latest envelopes. I found the earlier ones had the flap folded on the inside and in summer that flap tended to stick like glue to the CD itself. More than one CD I scratched trying to get that flap open.
I open the later ones sliding a knife along the top (similar to conventional envelope opening with an envelope knife). Maybe a little bit more room to get the knife in without connecting with the CD. :)

The best / most useful piece of software on the CDs has been OOo. :) And who cares if the latest was a release candidate. It's way better than the previous version, and with Flash and Acrobat support. B-) :) :) :)

promethius
25-09-2003, 07:35 PM
I kinda like the splash screen, esp the little songs n stuff that come with it..., but yea maybe you could have a little config file and a 'preferences' window or something?

JamesStewart
25-09-2003, 07:50 PM
It's somtimes nice to have a little kiwi music playing when you first load at beast up but from there on it's a pain in the ass, especially when you don't know if what you want is on that CD. Say I would say ... ****-can it!

cyberchuck
25-09-2003, 08:05 PM
> Hmmm... Interesting.. I found that in the last 3 months, my little plastic case has had
> to be ripped fully before I could get the CD out. Glue's too damn good ;-) lol

I haven't had that problem to be honest... Although I did loan my friend this months PCWorld CD before I got a chance to run through it and the case came back in dodgy condition. He claims it was due to the glue.. I think he just wanted to break something of mine :-p
Nothing wrong with it.. Quality Assurance that the CD has not been tampered with on it's way to your house ;-)

CyberChuck

hazza
25-09-2003, 08:07 PM
just get a cardboard cd sleeve thing therefore its hard to screw up and esy to take the cd out

hzz

Gods-Hitman
25-09-2003, 08:24 PM
No to the splash screen :)

Percy Porter
25-09-2003, 08:40 PM
I agree with 99.9% of what has been said, get rid of it.
Including the sleeves, although once they are out I put them in ajewel case and dispose of the sleeve. Would be nice maybe with the November issue to get a database of items on the previous years issues. Have spent ages trolling through PC World and cd trying to find an article/programme that I am sure was listed.

PressF1 User
25-09-2003, 08:56 PM
No splash screen please - big thanks though for the monthly joy of trying out the programs :-)

PF1

Susan B
25-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Regarding the CD contents, I appreciated the Office service packs - it saved me downloading them on my slow dialup.

It would be good to have a cumulative index of previous CDs like someone else mentioned.

The big files are what I like the best, the ones that save me from having to download them, eg service packs and large programs, but it is good to have other things to try that I may not have known about otherwise. Overall I think the current mix is pretty good.

It is also good to hear that the sleeves will be changed - they give me a hard time trying to extract the CDs as well.

robo
26-09-2003, 08:09 AM
I'm with Susan.
Service Packs are handy. Even rotate a few each month until the next one comes (Office, Win XP, IE, that sort of thing) if there isn't room every month. Then the latest two or three CDs can sit in the wallet and you know you've got what you need.
Splash is annoying, and the baggies are shockers.

I also like the NASA pics now and again.

robo.
(speaking purely as a regular person)

Scouse
26-09-2003, 08:31 AM
robo.
(speaking purely as a regular person)
It is so nice to hear from a regular person.
Sort of adds a bit of class to the show. :)

robo
26-09-2003, 08:44 AM
I am usually highly irregular. I do have my moments, however.
robo.

jockT
26-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Drop it.

somebody
26-09-2003, 01:57 PM
It would be good to do a special promotion once a year or so (eg. Xmas promotion) and ship 3-4 CDs with a distro of Linux or something, just as a special treat. It would give people who liked Knoppix from a while back a way of permanently switching to Linux. Or even 3-4 CDs with software "must haves", which could be handy to keep around.

WinXP SP2 when it comes out - saves people a lot of downloading. Hopefully Microsoft will let you guys put it on the CD.

Maybe the new version of Knoppix?? Might be interesting to see.

Otherwise, is it possible for "full free versions" of software to be included? I'm NOT talking about pirating software, but some other magazines have negotiated special deals with software companies to include full (older versions) of their software, as a way to promote their newer product.

somebody
26-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Just to add to what I've said, I would be happy to pay a few dollars extra for a special promotion issue which has extra CDs.

Chilling_Silently
26-09-2003, 02:53 PM
> It would be good to do a special promotion once a
> year or so (eg. Xmas promotion) and ship 3-4 CDs with
> a distro of Linux or something, just as a special
> treat.

Be kinda costly for IDG wouldnt it though!?!

> It would give people who liked Knoppix from a
> while back a way of permanently switching to Linux.

Im one of those people ;-) The full things even cooler!

> Maybe the new version of Knoppix?? Might be
> interesting to see.

What about a 1 CD Distro instead of a 3 CD one.. Lycoris Desktop/LX ;-)

JamesStewart
26-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Umm, no offence to any one here but I noticed the question was ... keep the screen or not. Not, what do you want on the CD.... Just my opinion

PoWa
26-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Uhhh if you read a later post by Bruce:

>"I believe the annoying plastic sleaves have done their dash - I think they're going back to the (slightly) better quality jobs next time round. Can't swear to that just now.
>
>While we're at it, feel free to make some suggetsions for what you'd like to see on the CD. Here's a few cavets though:
>
>1] Size: We obviously cannot fill the CD with a 400MB single-product file and leave little room for other stuff. For example, all the regulars like latest versions of browsers etc take up a fair bit by themselves.
>
>2] We try to put on a good amount of programs that are mentioned in articles in the issue (vendor/author permission allowing, and file size too).
>
>3] We do try to include a game demo most times round as it's a bit of fun and these things are huge iof you're downloading from the Net."

somebody
26-09-2003, 04:19 PM
That's why I made the post.

ilikelinux
26-09-2003, 06:45 PM
No splash screen

ilikelinux
26-09-2003, 06:51 PM
The java 2 development enviroment would be nice on the cd.
And if you could have both versions (4 windows and 4 linux)

Chemical Ali
26-09-2003, 10:34 PM
No splash screen

mark c
27-09-2003, 09:55 AM
> No splash screen

Baldy
27-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Bruce,
My benchmark is the set of Cds you get each month with APC magazine. They are the sort of things I would like to see provided on your magazines CD
Baldy

smashedlittlebugger
27-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Keep it, I love the music on it but make it so you don't have to wait for a while before you can open the browser from it.

Anthony
27-09-2003, 02:12 PM
I agree, it is not needed, I always click out of it as soon as possible.

JamesStewart
27-09-2003, 04:24 PM
is it possible to add the music into the index/home html file? Just getting rid of the screen?

Loopy
27-09-2003, 04:35 PM
No Splash- it's a waste of time.

DanielS
27-09-2003, 09:42 PM
no spash - waste of time

Heather P
27-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Please, please, please.... an Index. Updated monthly for the year with a full index for the year in December.

If you have someone who wants to demonstrate their talent in Flash - why not go straight to the home page and a link on it to a Flash screen?

hazza
27-09-2003, 11:24 PM
also a glossary for newbs like me to tell us what stuff is

hzz

mikebartnz
28-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Ditch the splash screen.
It's official now you will only be able to get patches etc from MS's site but you may still be able to get them from your mate with a cd burner. Their story is so that everyone gets the latests patches etc but how many people are going to download service packs etc that can be well over 100Mb when on dialup.

agent
28-09-2003, 12:14 PM
> Although I did loan my friend this months PCWorld CD before I got a
> chance to run through it and the case came back in dodgy condition

No, I swear (and I also swore at it...), it was the darned glue. Ripped half the plastic or something! :D

Anyway, yes, I think ditching the splash screen would be a very good idea.

Something else to consider, though, would be expanding to two CDs per issue. I know a lot of other magazines which do this, although I realise that it may require some initial budgetting etc. But it means that you can fit twice the content, while maintaining access to those people who don't have a DVD drive - which is another idea, perhaps a survey about having a DVD coverdisc would be good. Surely it wouldn't be too much harder to produce a DVD issue and a CD issue?

Anyway, what I'd like to see on an upcoming PC World coverdisc is CS1.6 - yes, it's a dated game, but it's also probably the biggest update to the game in it's entire life. And perhaps some game trailers as well as movie trailers...

rodb
28-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Who thought that recorded noise was music?
No splash screen thanks - autorun direct to the index.

-=JM=-
28-09-2003, 06:44 PM
> Their story is so that everyone gets the latests patches
> etc but how many people are going to download service
> packs etc that can be well over 100Mb when on dialup.

It's not really all that hard. I've done it many a time on dialup. Unless you're on a small 10hr plan it isn't unreasonable at all.

PoWa
28-09-2003, 07:34 PM
> Anyway, what I'd like to see on an upcoming PC World coverdisc is CS1.6 - yes, it's a dated game, but it's also probably the biggest update to the game in it's entire life.

Isn't CS1.6 still in beta?? I haven't played it for a week ;) Plus with the full steam install is 740mb and I think just the CS steam install is like 400mb. Besides anyone serious in playing counter-strike has jetstream starter or whatever, and they just log in through JSGames for CS1.6.

tweak\'e
28-09-2003, 08:36 PM
>It's not really all that hard. I've done it many a time on dialup. Unless you're on a small 10hr plan it isn't unreasonable at all.

*cough* i have to download w2ksp4, all 130 odd megs of it, which will take about 12 hours...........arrrghhhhhhh

Chilling_Silently
28-09-2003, 09:31 PM
> >It's not really all that hard. I've done it many a
> time on dialup. Unless you're on a small 10hr plan it
> isn't unreasonable at all.
>
> *cough* i have to download w2ksp4, all 130 odd megs
> of it, which will take about 12
> hours...........arrrghhhhhhh

Its only an over-night job.. not that bad.. I've downloaded over 1 1/2 gigs from Over-night downloads in about a week.

Just use a download manager ;-)

PoWa
28-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Yer I don't know what peoples problems are with downloading big files on dialup.

You just leave it downloading overnight or 2 nights using a download manager like getright (essential) and tell your internet connection to reconnect after 10secs if it disconnects. Man I used to download 700mb files in 3-5nights no worries.

And if you are downloading a service pack, you download the one that system admins use for distributing over a network (its a single file). Don't use windows update for full service packs as you will have to re-download the pack when u reinstall windows, and if you get d/c while its downloading then you are in trouble!) :p

agent
28-09-2003, 11:37 PM
What happens when you're using Windows 98, which doesn't auto-redial upon being disconnected but sits there prompting you to click 'Re-connect'?

Anyway, I was looking for the DirectX 9.0b redistributable file, and could never find it on Microsoft's site... ended up pinching it off the PC World cover disc.

Same goes for Office 2000 updates, I simply cannot find redistributable downloads, and get stuck having to monitor my computer for five hours while some 60MB file is downloaded...

PoWa
29-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Is the directx off the PCW disk 9.0b? I thought it was 9.0a, can't find the disk to check.

Anyway for redistributable files you just search google, for directx redist.
But a quick look at microsoft.com/directx turned up this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A6DEE0DB-DCCE-43EA-87BB-7C7E1FD1EAA2&displaylang=en).

agent
29-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Cheeky buggers, they hide the link to the redistributable file in the 'Additional Information' section of the internet download setup file.

Thanks for the tip though :D

-=JM=-
29-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Yeah I always get the redist file. Though I've heard that the web install can be smaller though. I like to have the redist for future installs anyway.

perelini
29-09-2003, 08:58 PM
get rid of it

Chilling_Silently
29-09-2003, 09:05 PM
The case ripped again this month... Made an image on my HDD which I keep for a month (til next months) and gave it to the 8yr old brother for a frisbee... I have NO cases.... Anybody know a good place to get them from coz DSE didnt have them in WestCity auckland last time I checked, and the Warehouse wanted $10 for 3!?

fus1_n
29-09-2003, 09:27 PM
yeah.
the first one was cool but the other ones are rubbish.
kill it.

about the dvd thing: i think subscribers should have an option of getting a dvd with more files on it!

Mizz_1Nique
29-09-2003, 10:04 PM
I don't mind the splash screen at all... So either way for me is fine...

I also have to agree that the cds are hard to get out of the plastic covers though.

-=JM=-
29-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Warehouse Stationary had paper CD envelope type things the last time I was in there.

PoWa
30-09-2003, 01:10 AM
Easiest way is a cd wallet by far. For PCW cds you just stack them up in an icecream container ;) - they are after all only cover disks and only serve their purpose for a few months before becoming outdated again.

Susan B
30-09-2003, 05:09 AM
> Easiest way is a cd wallet by far.

And ultimately a neoprene PC World CD wallet. ;-)

Biggles
30-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks all for the feedback.