PDA

View Full Version : Connecting computers using ADSL

John.H
24-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to connect 2 or more computers just using an ADSL line?

Like create a server, then get the client to put the servers details in their ADSL modem setup and connect. I was told maybe NT Server could do this using Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Using Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol.

Any information would be great.

falvrez
24-09-2003, 08:43 PM
This has come up recently - as far as I'm aware you need to lease a static IP address and setup your equipment to reflect this address, at both ends.

stu140103
24-09-2003, 08:52 PM
> Does anyone know if it is possible to connect 2 or
> more computers just using an ADSL line?

Yep, I have 3+ one our ADSL connection.

You could use ICS (Internet connection sharing) & network the computer together then share the ADSL connection....

Have a look at the FAQ ( on the right had side) on how to network.

cyberchuck
24-09-2003, 09:09 PM
> Like create a server, then get the client to put the servers details in their ADSL
> modem setup and connect. I was told maybe NT Server could do this using
> Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Using Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol

This depends. Are the computers on one network behind the router, or are they on different networks - one inside and one outside the router. By the sounds of it you want an outside client to get their ADSL modem to "connect" to your server. This will not work by them putting your details into the server as Telecom control the ADSL service at the exchanges and it would just block the connections going through.

However, if you get your clients to connect to the internet through their ISP's ADSL connection, then you can effectively VPN to your server. This would be easier done with having a Dynamic DNS Service Provider point your IP to a DNS entry - so register with www.dyndns.com or www.no-ip.com and set up a free account then download an updater for the program and have it running on your server so if your IP changes your clients can still connect. Therefore, when the clients ask for a hostname you tell them [mydnsname].no-ip.com or whatever you set it up as...

Just watch out with ADSL as some ISP's will charge national bandwidth and depending on how heavily used the VPN get's, some people could end up with a nasty bill.

CyberChuck

John.H
25-09-2003, 10:16 AM
The computers are on different networks.

Thanks for the information CyberChuck but i really wanted to do it without the internet. This looks like it isn't possible.

Thanks for the help.