PDA

View Full Version : Can Win98SE be with XP Pro on a HT CPU?

Jase1
24-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi There ^^

I have this system P4 2.4Ghz HT(800FSB), 512 DDR400 and a 80GB HD, and I want to put two OS on it, Win98Se and WinXP Pro. There are questions that I would want to ask, first would Win98Se run stable with HT turn ON? Second, if Hyper Threading is turned OFF, would the FSB drop from 800mhz down to 533mhz? If so what would happen to my DDR400, cause my motherboard says it need the FSB running at 800mhz to support DDR400

I have tried once, but Win98Se somehow crashed a bit, this was with Hyper Threading turned ON. Though before I installed Win98Se, I thought I had turned Hyper Threading OFF but it was turned ON when I have a look around in BIOS. But now I just have WinXp Pro on(not partitioned) and I really can't be bothered reformating and partitioning and then installing Win98Se and then found out Win98Se just won't run properly with a HT CPU.

The reason why I want Win98Se is that quite a few of my games doesn't run on WinXP and some of my midi sounds stupid on WinXP (or maybe is just my 2.1speakers, just wondering, would ur mp3 sound any different if you had a 2.1 speakers from a normal 2 speakers). And I want WinXp because in the future programes are going to stop supporting Win98Se... :( .

So if any one can help, that would be really great ^^ :)

Thank a lot

Jase Sen

Chilling_Silently
24-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Win98 Will run on you Hyperthreading CPU, however it will not take advantage of the Hyperthreading, and will treat your PC like a Single CPU system!
Can you not run programs in Compatability mode in XP?

Babe Ruth
24-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Jase,

From Intel's site ...

"To fully take advantage of the benefits of HT Technology, a system must contain the following four ingredients:
• An Intel Pentium 4 processor at 3.06 GHz or higher
• A chipset that supports HT Technology, such as the Intel® 850E, 845G, 845GE, 845GV, 845E or 845PE chipsets
• A system BIOS that supports HT Technology and has it enabled, and
• A desktop operating system that includes optimizations for HT Technology2.

Hyper-Threading Technology requires a computer system with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor at 3.06 GHz or higher, a chipset and BIOS that utilize this technology, and an operating system that includes optimizations for this technology. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use.
See Hyper-Threading (http://www.intel.com/info/hyperthreading) for information.

Intel recommends enabling HT Technology on systems with Microsoft* Windows* XP Home, Windows XP Professional, or Linux* kernel version 2.4.18 installed, which includes Linux versions from Red Hat* (Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat AS 2.1, or higher) or SuSe* (SuSe 8.0 or higher).

These operating systems support and have optimizations for Hyper-Threading Technology. Intel recommends disabling HT Technology via the BIOS switch with any other legacy OS such as Microsoft Windows 98/ME/NT4.0/2000, OS/2*, or any other OS not designed to take advantage of Hyper-Threading Technology. These older versions of the windows o/s, like Windows 98 or ME will only recognize the new P4 as a standard CPU without HT."

Cheers, Babe.

kiwibeat
24-09-2003, 07:00 PM
May be easier to put 98 on a smaller HDD and switch over when needed

Jase1
24-09-2003, 10:20 PM
To kiwibeat
What do mean by putting 98 on a smaller HD? Thanks ^^
---------------------------------------------------------------
To Chilling_silently
Running 'Compatability mode' in XP, what is exactly is that? Is that a feature in WinXP? :)
Thanks for the info Babe Ruth :)

So mainly if I really want Win98Se to run stable on my machine and also have WinXP on, I would need to turn OFF Hyper Threading. Awww.... . Just wondering, if I keep turning HT on and off and on and off, would HT get stuff up?

Thank a lot ^^

Jase Sen

Murray P
25-09-2003, 12:07 AM
You could probably dual boot and have a batch file or boot.ini set up to switch the setting you require for win98. Just thinking aloud really but, someone must've tried it.

Cheers Murray P

Jase1
27-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone ^^

Jase Sen