PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla newbie needs a little help

oggy
24-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Hi
Just installed Mozilla last night and it looks as if it is going to be very good. A small problem though. It ran for a while but when I reconnected later it would not find the sites I pointed it at. Got a message something along the lines of "Unable to connect to nzoom.com, is the address correct?". Tried it on a few different sites with same effect. Fired up Netscape and Explorer and they both found the sites. In the set up stage I did not opt to make Mozilla my default browser (just yet).
I had a look through the 'preferences' option earlier but did not change anything.
What should I look at?

eef2
24-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Don't really know, but as a suggestion, you may be getting some conflict with some software which may have been running at the time of installation.
Many people think that if they do not see programs running in the system tray, that it is OK to go ahead and install. Try this: After running Netscape, and closing it, do a CTL+ALT+DEL. Notice that it is still there?
I love Mozilla, and run it all the time. Can't see how people can possibly do without it's TABS.
Uninstall it, then reboot, then CTL+ALT+DEL. Look for any running programs and end them.
Then re-install Mozilla - that ought to do the trick.
If that doesn't work - or if you have already done all that, then I suspect that the problem is in the internet configuration somewhere.

eef2
24-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh, by the way, I am a Highlanders and an Otago Rugby fan also.;)

Jim B
24-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Under Preferences/Advanced/Proxies check you have selected "Direct connection to the internet"

oggy
26-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Oh I feel so silly. Shut down all running programs when I did the install like you're supposed to. Ran alright and then I turned it off have tea. Turning the computer on of course reloaded McAfee Firewall which of course did not have Mozilla on the list of programs allowed to access the internet...... To my shame I'll admit that it took me a couple of nights to figure this out. Doh!

Susan B
26-09-2003, 09:53 AM
No need to feel silly; it won't be something you will forget in a hurry, will you? It's all part of the fun. :-)

kiwibeat
26-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I use Zone alarm and it asks if you want to allow permission for a program to use the net no doubt you can set that as well on your firewaLL.
I also use opera 7.2 and it is fast and offers all that mozilla does as well

brig
27-09-2003, 07:13 AM
If you like Mozilla you will like Mozilla Firebird 0.61 even more.

Download from:

http://www.mozilla.org/

It is as the developers say, leaner and meaner, faster even than Mozilla 1.4

brig