PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firebird

j.harper
23-09-2003, 11:26 PM
A couple of weeks ago , after reading comments about Mozilla on this forum, I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird and Firebird .0.6.1. Both proved very suitable for my needs.

However, a couple of days ago Firebird malfunctioned (probably my fault, clearing files out of the download folder). I thought the best thing to do would be to completely uninstall/delete and to reinstall.

I've downloded and even unzipped Firebird but just cannot make the .exe file execute. What am I doingwrong? Can anyone please give any advice (not too technical) on how to complete the operation.

BTW - I've tried downloading Mozilla 1.4 first and installing Firebird on top of that, and I've tried uninstalling 1.4 and just installing Firebird. But it doesn't work either which way. I've tried deleting the whole deal and completely re-downloading the whole lot but without success.

Somebody please help.

Many thanks
Jay

Susan B
23-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Oh dear. :-(

What version of Windows are you running?

When you "tried deleting the whole deal" did you also clear out the folders for your Profile, etc in Documents and Settings (if using Win XP - other versions of Windows may differ)?

kiki
23-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Its my understanding that Firebird is a standalone package, so you don't install it over the top of plain mozilla. That will just cause problems.

I assume you've downloaded a zip file with firebird in it??

If so, go into C:\Program Files then make a folder called 'Firebird'.

Now open up the zip file, and extract all the files to the folder 'Firebird'.

Now go to the Firebird folder right click on the .exe and make a shortcut to it. Copy that shortcut somewhere useful.

Then you just execute the .exe or shortcut and it should run

Chilling_Silently
23-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Im gonna follow on with what Susan said, Im betting its something to do with a corrupt user profile in MozillaFirebird.

Check the Mozilla Homepage for info on removing the profile in Firebird.

Another note (Agreeing with kiki here):
Firebird is a standalone package that doesnt require Mozilla at all.

Its made by the same people, but is totally independant from Mozilla, just as Thunderbird is :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

j.harper
24-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks to all three who offered advice here. I didn't know about the Profile part, but found that and think I cleared out the lot and redownloaded Firebird again.

Still no success however - just can't get 'Firebird.exe' to execute.

I have W98se, so the Profile was in C:\Windows\Application data. There was another file there also named Phoenix. What would that be for? Any connection with Mozilla?

Anything else I could be looking for?

Thanks again to all
Jay

Susan B
24-09-2003, 11:34 AM
The Mozilla folder belongs to Firebird, so delete that along with the Phoenix folder in your C:\Windows\Application data folder and the MozillaFirebird in your Program Files folder. If there are any other related files/folders that you may have created yourself either move them elsewhere, rename or delete them.

Reboot your computer then try unzipping and running MozillaFirebird.exe again.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. :-)

j.harper
24-09-2003, 01:03 PM
YES !! Done it. It must have been that Phoenix file holding up the system. After deleting that file everything went 'just like it oughta'.

Great stuff - you're a terrific forum.

Thanks to all.

Jay

Susan B
24-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Excellent! Glad to hear you fixed it.

Thanks for letting us know. :-)