PDA

View Full Version : How to open a downloaded file

Maryann
23-09-2003, 10:32 PM
PJ and I always have a problem with how to open a file...where to put it when the "box" comes up giving us the choices.

Just downloaded a document from my MSN Hotmail account. Acrobat can't open it, even though we thought we'd made the right choice by putting it into My Documents. After the name of the file it say " .wps".
The file is there, in My Docs.... ?:|

LucyL
23-09-2003, 10:37 PM
wps files are Microsoft Works wordprocessor files. You could try opening it with Word.

Cheers Lucy

Jen C
23-09-2003, 10:42 PM
> PJ and I always have a problem with how to open a file...where to put it when the >"box" comes up giving us the choices.

Make a folder on your desktop (or within My Documents) and called it "Internet Downloads". Put all your downloaded files into this folder. You can always more them again later but at least you know where to find them - less messy as well. It is also very important that you scan all files/programs etc that you download from the net before you open/run them with your Antivirus software. You can go into your "Internet Downloads" folder and right click the new file and select your Antivirus program from the menu and do a manual scan first.

Maryann
23-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Thankyou, Lucy and Jen C....will work our brains around this tomorrow.

Jen C
23-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Just realised that you weren't asking "where" to put your downloaded files when the box opens up, but rather "how" to open them when the extension isn't automatically recognised by Windows - oops :) - nevermind.

Do you have Word or Works installed? As LucyL has already suggested, you just need to select your word processing program. In the dialog box (this is for XP) select choose program yourself (not the search the net for one), and then pick the appropriate program.

Jen

Kame
23-09-2003, 11:07 PM
If you search for the file extension in google, in this case .wps you should come up with programs that will open it, or a load of rubbish about someone's .wps files :P

First thing the steps to opening a document, once downloaded first thing is virus scan it (latest definitions as well), it's only a few seconds to do depending on size (minutes if larger) but it'll stop the nasties before you unleash havoc on your system.

Then just find what program you need to open it with and open it. If you have XP, then there's an option to search on the web for what program to open that type of extension.