PDA

View Full Version : Whats the main differences between a reinstall or a refresh? of systems.

beetle
23-09-2003, 06:38 PM
apologies if this has been asked before.

Win XP home.

ok back to square one it seems i had printed out a sheet on a refresh (which i seem to have misplaced)
and was wondering what the main differences are between the two ....

like one does.......

while the other does.....

i looked at the FAG on reinstall but it was not for XP ?

so have got back to the mad hatter idea of refresh or reinstall my puter, and start from fresh (sorry) as i was expecting it to be reinstalled when it came back last time.

so im looking for a good printout sheet showing me / telling me and then i find some ... Geek to help me do this..... LOL

i really am certain i should not ever have badgered hubby for a puter ever if i had known the hassles i was going to have.... :D :p

but what else would i be doing if not on the puter ? oh yes cleaning.... joy.

beetle

beetle

beetle
23-09-2003, 07:00 PM
and yes i am sifting my way through search pf1, but this seems to slow down my puter enormously and takes forever to load any page, and as for the FAG's tomorow will get here faster...

beetle

godfather
23-09-2003, 07:09 PM
>and as for the FAG's
> tomorow will get here faster...

Not politically correct to refer to FAG's?
What is a FAG in this case? Another G and it could be a coffee.

Ohh .. do you mean a FAQ? (Frequently Asked Questions)

Anyway, there is no defined term "refresh". It means whatever you want it to mean.
For some its a re-install (over the top installation)
For some its a repair.

In your case I suspect you want to reload Windows again, over the top of the present copy.

But why?

stu140103
23-09-2003, 07:16 PM
> In your case I suspect you want to reload Windows
> again, over the top of the present copy.
>
> But why?

see here: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=39543 ( 45 posts long :D)

beetle
23-09-2003, 07:18 PM
when i sent it away i expected it to be done.

because they never did it when it went back to base and now if you see my other post on IM / Trillian probs, and also some have suggested it to me.

not sure whether i should go whole hog and reinstall or just try a repair, as have never done either, wondered what people had to say about the differences and what it changes or delets basically and how much i would have to have reinstalled (prog wise)

if it had been done i may not have been in this state but am not sure which route to follow now.

but at least if they changed the mother board should not be going to go pop from power surge it had?

apart from the fact i have no idea what is wrong or what i really should do..... i have no real answer just babble, reiterateing what people have told me.

beetle

Susan B
23-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Reinstall and refresh are basically the same thing.

A reformat is, however, totally different to the above and that may be what you are thinking of when you want to know the difference. A reformat will wipe all your hard drive of everything on it for you to reinstall Windows and all your programs and data. That is what you were wanting the PC Co to do when you sent them your computer for repair.

A repair is sort of like a reinstall, only it doesn't plonk everything in Windows back over itself like a refresh/reinstall does. A repair just fixes the bits it thinks are missing.

As I said to you before, whatever you do you are probably looking at reinstalling SP1 and all the critical updates again so do remember that. There is no way of getting around that with any of the options with the possible exception of a repair because I cannot remember whether I had to reinstall my updates or not.

Apart from the possible hassle of reinstalling SP1 and the updates, doing a reinstall/refresh or a repair might fix your Trillian problems.

Or it might not.

Any more questions? :-)

beetle
23-09-2003, 07:47 PM
thanxs ... !!!!

yep heaps! of questions, so if i did a refresh / repair first and then later if i still have probs go from there? i may not lose all info i thought i would or was going to?

and then find some other ding bat like me (much more geeky who knows what they doing) to help me do a reformat? start from scratch like ( i have so much spare time for that one > not.)

and give me some time and i ll think of some more....

:D

ya know i always have questions and a lot of dumb ones to that no one seems to be able to fix, maybe im a geek in disguise checking out how much you all know..... LOL not, no such thing here. a geek that is.

beetle

Jen C
23-09-2003, 08:08 PM
What you might like to do is to visit your local computer shop with all your WinXP CD plus your other CD's (like printer, motherboard, MSWorks etc) and just get them to do it for you. They will backup your Documents first and then put them back on afterwards. If your WinXP doesn't include SP1, just ask them to install it for you as well.

This way you are guaranteed no headaches/grief/sleepless nights worrying about doing it yourself. It shouldn't cost much and probably can be done the same day. Easy as :)

beetle
23-09-2003, 10:37 PM
thats a good idea Jen c,

i had been thinking along lines of someone help me so i can remember for next time!!!!! LOL

hopefully no next time but to get that geek status you have to do things your self dont you ???? :p so when i fiddle dangerously i can fix it.. :D

yeah maybe thats the safest way let my fingers do the walking and phone someplaces this week to see what they say.

thanxs
beetle

beetle
25-09-2003, 03:06 PM
ok some more questions.

when you do a reinstall everything on the puter get wiped or not?

the start up / boot sequence ? dos stuff/ bios stuff?

and if all the rest is windows stuff its all gone ?

sorta like a blank peice of paper?

and if i do do a reinstall its win xp, but should i also format it / partition it?

as later i would like to look at linux (and i have no idea what its like at this stage just a random thought here). and that would mean getting rid of or partitioning the system so i could have both?
flag that it sounds to hard...

so what i am asking is is there anything it doesnt delete or overide so its not there any more?

and repair / refresh - this is a fix it thing so it fixes what windows thinks is faulty or broken or ? and that may or may not fix my current problem anyway?

thanxs

beetle

metla
25-09-2003, 03:23 PM
re-installing/reloading just loads windows over itself and is the less drastic and quicker way,no loss of data takes place,you just get a crisp version of windows.And in a lot of cases it cures a lot of problems.

This in your case i would recommend as your first option,it cant hurt and is relativly simple.

After doing so if problems still persist,then you can look at a re-format,this will mean all your data will be wiped clean and and you can start from a clean slate.

I recomend the the first option,and before doing so i suggest you delete what programs are giving the trouble and download fresh versions once you have reloaded windows.

Linux?

no comment.

beetle
25-09-2003, 03:34 PM
thanxs metla,

always get a straight forward nononsense comment from you, and it some how clarify's things for me, and helps to make a decision also.

would you recomend someone like myself to do this or get some one else in the trade?

and i have not said i will linux or not, just a thought, and i dont have to stick to it if i dont want.

oh and does this wipe clean or delete any thing in updates ? it wont will it thats what you were saying all info kept?

beetle

metla
25-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Updates will have to be re-installed after a re-load of windows,i can drop a copy of service pack 1 out your way if need be,i dont have any of the others on cd though....You are running winxp aren't you?

And yeah,i cant see any problem with you doing the reload yourself.Just change the boot sequence in the bios to boot from the cd drive and restart with the windows/recovery cd in the drive,then just follow your nose and make sure not to pick the re-format option.

beetle
25-09-2003, 03:44 PM
yep Win XP home.

and all esle fails i have this work puter to call for help :D :p

thanxs for the offer of CD may take you up on that, will let you know.

and also how far back does the updates look for fix's ?

say a new computer set up and checks for updates, how many updates does it pick up before it says enough?
does it pick a certain amount of updates or a time limit?

just curious,

beetle

godfather
25-09-2003, 03:59 PM
It picks up all the updates that it needs.
Some updates are "cumulative". That means that with that particular update, it can apply it without having to do some of the previous ones.

The Windows update system keeps this under control.

There is no need to worry about how you would know which updates to apply

It knows that if it applies a recent update "x", it does not need to do updates "a", "b" and "c". (a, b, c and z are just fictitious names as an example)

The system would not mind if a, b and c were applied, before z, as an example, its just that as the entire files would be replaced in z, its a waste of time updating those particular files.

For that reason it will not re-apply all of the last couple of years of updates, just the later ones. It will still be a lot though.

Susan B
25-09-2003, 07:28 PM
> when you do a reinstall everything on the puter get wiped or not?

No, only the updates get wiped. See my previous post.

> and if all the rest is windows stuff its all gone ?
> sorta like a blank peice of paper?

No, that is a reformat.

> and if i do do a reinstall its win xp, but should i also format it / partition it?

Not at this stage. Do a reinstall first. Can only partition it with a format (unless you want to spend big $$ on Partition Magic).

> as later i would like to look at linux (and i have no idea what its like at this stage just a random thought here).

Forget about it - kill that random thought!! :O :D

> and that would mean getting rid of or partitioning the system so i could have both? flag that it sounds to hard...

Good idea (flag it, that is). :-)

> so what i am asking is is there anything it doesnt delete or overide so its not there any more?

All your stuff (programs and data that is) stays the same with a reinstall.

> and repair / refresh - this is a fix it thing so it fixes what windows thinks is faulty or broken or ?
> and that may or may not fix my current problem anyway?

Correct. :-)

You can do a reinstall easily yourself as long as you don't have that password problem that you had last time.

beetle
25-09-2003, 09:29 PM
ooooooow man ya spoil me fun.... :D :p

no just jokes, thanxs i just like to get things straight. so i understand exactly what im getting into or not as the case may be.
and as for linux not now maybe when i finished school i was meaning and have to go through all this garbage again or partition crap or something.

will look into this a bit later as no time or energy now.

thanxs all.

beetle