PDA

View Full Version : XPPro Product Keys

Happy Harry
23-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Hi all
In a previous post I spoke of being unable to load SP1 for XPPro as I kept getting an invalid product key error.
After much to-ing and fro-ing between MS and Compaq the concensus is that when the PC was repaired (a corrupted profile) a dodgy product key was used instead of the correct one supplied with the PC. This is stopping most of the updates from happening but is curiosly is letting others install.
MS cannot (or will not) tell me how to change the product key, probably for security reasons, and Compaq only tell me to run the recovery disk and so lose 8 months of personalisation of the PC. (I HATE RECOVERY DISKS)
Do any of you clever F1ers have a solution for this problem.
I have searched within the registry to find the product key but with no joy. I'm assuming that it is encryted some how
Any help would be greatly appreciated

tweak\'e
23-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Windows XP Product Key Modifier (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2745) - [2003-04-17 | Freeware | 288 Kb | Win XP | 10909]
Automates the task of changing your Windows XP product key.

Happy Harry
23-09-2003, 06:19 PM
HI Tweak
Have you used this app. I have just read all the info and it would seem to be what I am looking for but am a little wary that it may screw things even further.
I wait with baited breath (garlic in my lunch)
Cheers
HH

tweak\'e
23-09-2003, 06:22 PM
never used it.......however if you don't trust strange apps just go to MS site and find the manaul instructions to change the key.

Kame
23-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey Harry,

This site will be useful to you, although what Tweak'e has posted maybe safer than altering the registry

http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/articles/changeID.htm

I was in a similar situation when I had to fix the mistakes of another computer technician and discovered I could not update due to an invalid product key, I rang MS and asked them how I could change it as my customer had a valid key and they would not explain so I searched on the net for it and came up with that site.

I really don't know why MS can't explain how to do it as if I couldn't change the key, but then again, it may depend on who you are speaking too and how much they know.

This method does work, but try Tweak'e approach as it maybe safer.

Mzee
23-09-2003, 08:56 PM
SP1 will not install in XP if it considers it to be a pirated copy. Is it possible that this has happened?
There is a program which will not only supply another number, but will activate it as well. Do a Google.

I think you should try the suggested programme, but you will have to supply a suitable number.

If I were you I would take it back to the person who "fixed" it.

When you have it all sorted, make a Ghost Image and you can reinstall in a few minutes.

glenn
23-09-2003, 09:18 PM
This free program will reveal your product key:

http://www.webattack.com/get/keyfinder.shtml

Hope that helps.

g

godfather
23-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Curious...

That program returns a key that is not my CD Key for Windows XP ...

Susan B
23-09-2003, 11:39 PM
> That program returns a key that is not my CD Key for Windows XP ...

Which program, Godfather? The one posted by Glenn?

Kame
23-09-2003, 11:46 PM
I tried that program, and it did reveal my cd-key, I am now wondering how I can prevent this as it's a security risk in my opinion.

I see his site points to where MS posted information on changing the key, and possibly recovering it too?

So I'll see if I can make a workaround for it, as I don't want anyone using similar type products on my computer.

godfather
23-09-2003, 11:47 PM
> Which program, Godfather? The one posted by Glenn?

Yes. Returns a key, but not the one stuck to the case.

Kame
23-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Definitely worried, he's implementing remote registry connection too. I hope MS know of this.

-=JM=-
24-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Well it seemed to return the correct key for me.

Happy Harry
24-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Hi to all that replied and are watching
I tried the programe supplied by tweaké but this has not resolved the issue. The programm supplied by Glen does show a product key but not the one shown in the General tab on my system properties.
I think I am going to have to "get hold of"a genuine XPPro disk, and do a repair/install using my own valid product key.
Keeps the brain active all this
Will post if I resolve.

Thanks
HH

Kame
24-09-2003, 12:34 PM
The program Glenn posted has a key modifier as well, have a look in the menu bar.

Spacemannz
24-09-2003, 07:30 PM
There is a way of doing this. BUT you cant use any old key. IT has to be a CORP version key. And yup you are right. SP1 and further updates WONT work, as you found out.

Glenn
18-07-2005, 02:28 PM
The programm supplied by Glen does show a product key but not the one shown in the General tab on my system properties.
HH

The number shown on the General tab IS NOT your product key. Product keys are 25-character alphanumeric codes arranged in five groups of five characters each and used during setup to install the product. The product key produces the product ID number that, after setup is completed, is displayed on the General tab in the System Properties dialog box.

Hope that helps.

Glenn

FoxyMX
18-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Your lag is pretty bad, Glenn. After nearly two years Happy Harry has probably refomatted several times and possibly even upgraded his computer since his query. :D

SurferJoe46
18-07-2005, 05:37 PM
I dunnow, I just use Belarc Adviser (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) and get all my keys and licenses displayed in my default browser. It's so simple, and it DOES NOT PHONE HOME!!!

When you get it running and displayed on your default browser as an internal file, PRINT IT OUT for future reference.

It will also tell you where you have security defects and even links to find repairs for them.

You will see the condition of your S.M.A.R.T. drives and all the programs and such you have in the computer.

Just don't forget where you have the print-out...and you can save a copy on a floppy too...just in case! :2cents:

Chilling_Silence
18-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Magic Jellybean manages to give me it, 100%, perfect, first time, every time.

Its a tiny file, beats installing a huge app for it :)

Myth
18-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Magic Jellybean manages to give me it, 100%, perfect, first time, every time.

Its a tiny file, beats installing a huge app for it :)Since when do you need a key for Gentoo :p

Chilling_Silence
18-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah, tell me about it.

Sadly my life hasnt always been blissfully ignorant of the dark side of the force, and to know the true power of the light, I had to delve slightly in to the darkness....

;)

Myth
18-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah, tell me about it.

Sadly my life hasnt always been blissfully ignorant of the dark side of the force, and to know the true power of the light, I had to delve slightly in to the darkness....

;)I know exactly what you mean....
In fact my partner laughs at me now when I have to use Windows. She says I get this scowl on my face right from when it boots up