PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

Thomas01
23-09-2003, 04:10 PM
WindowsXP deleting files. I tried a virus checker on my laptop. Now I want to delete it but get told to remove the write protection on some of the files.
Difficult seeing that I am on the C drive.
I would have used XTGold in the old days. What do I do now ?

Crunn
23-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Still got your plain old DOS lying around somewhere ? I still keep a boot disc for suck occasions (with CD support). Locate and note the files you want to remove. Write them down. Boot the DOS disc and go have fun. Also make sure references in the registry are removed as well. Don't forget the backup before altering that file. Disasters are usually quite spectactular.

Crunn

Chilling_Silently
23-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Try disabling System Restore if its viruses you're trying to remove.

Otherwise, make sure you close all running instances of the software, and hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc and check to make sure there are no stray processes still live :-)

Kame
23-09-2003, 07:18 PM
XTGold was good wasn't it?

Didn't your Virus Checker come with an uninstaller?

Boot into safe mode and remove it as it's obviously in use when you try deleting it in realmode.

kiki
23-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Flip, this is easy. Right click on the Program Files folder (I'm assuming you installed it to this loaction?) then click on properties, then in the General tab, uncheck "Read only" and hit apply. Then try removing the software again.

Usually anything installed into Program Files is made read only by default (blame windows).