PDA

View Full Version : What do you loose when you do a windows repair?

fergie
23-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi.
I'm thinking of doing a windows repair (WIN XP PRO) as I have a few little niggles and problems I wanna fix up.
But what do I loose if I do a repair?
Will I still have all My documents? and what about programs shortcuts - will they still all be in the start menu?
And what about settings and drivers?
Will I have to reinstall all my drivers?

seetings like internet and network settings, will they be lost?

Cheers

odyssey
23-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Hi

I recently did a windows XP Pro repair after an install of Win2K corrupted my WINXP boot settings :(

The repair worked fine and kept all the program shortcuts, desktop settings etc. However, it did loose the network connections and the ability to dial up. To fix this, I had to install service pack 1 and then all the settings reappeared and I was able to dial up as per normal. So word of warning - make sure you have a copy of service pack 1 handy before you do a repair (its on one of the PC World disks earlier this year). This is a known problem to Microsoft and only occurs (I think!) if you have SP1 installed originally before you do you repair.

On the brighter side, the PC seemed to run faster after the repair (probably cleaned out some of the accumulated junk floating around in the windows directory/register).

I've only had to reinstall one program after the repair which was PowerDVD.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dave

fergie
23-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi, thanks for that, and welcome to Pressf1 :D

My windows cd has service pack 1 intergrated, so what would happen then?

odyssey
23-09-2003, 04:58 PM
I suspect that you should be OK as I think it relates only to XP repairs that take you back to a state prior to SP1 (which mine was). I just found the article that relates if you are interested...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

Susan B
23-09-2003, 05:00 PM
> My windows cd has service pack 1 intergrated, so what would happen then?

You should be sweet-as.

My CD is the same and I was surprised when I did a repair with Win XP as I expected to have to go and customise the whole lot (shortcuts, settings, etc) again but I didn't. I can't remember if I had to reinstall the critical updates, etc or not but I don't think I did. Cannot tell you about the drivers though, because I still have the default ones installed but they should stay the same - I think.

A repair does not touch your programs, shortcuts and documents/files so no worries there, but as with all fiddling you are about to do to your computer it pays to backup your files, just in case.

odyssey
23-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned you will need to reinstall any critical updates that came out after SP1.

Kame
23-09-2003, 11:20 PM
You lose all confidence in Microsoft :(