PDA

View Full Version : Message = Invalid System Disk

Curly
22-09-2003, 09:22 PM
While doing a defrag in safe mode, the HDD was making noises like it was searching for something. After no progress for a couple of minutes I stopped the defrag and on restarting windows I was presented with the Invalid System Disk message.

The boot process proceeds as normal to the extent that the HDD and CDRom is detected OK.

A boot disk will take the computer to a:. Switching to c: shows file0001.chk to file0062.chk.

The other directories, which look OK are, Windows, Mydocu~1, Progra~1 and setup.

Nothing I do will get me into safe mode. I do have a total backup of the computer, but I am trying to avoid it,as using Ghost via the LTP ports takes around 12 hours :-(

I am of the opinion that it is not a stuffed HDD, so any thoughts on where to go next ?

System = Win ME, 8 gig HDD, 150something Mb RAM

Terry Porritt
22-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Sounds like the boot sector or Master Boot Record has become corrupted during defrag.

You could always try the command FDISK /MBR from the A:> prompt after booting from a start up floppy having FDISK on it.
Hopefully this will re-write the MBR.

Mike
22-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Sounds like Defrag was running a disk scan (eg scandisk) before it started and found plenty of problems and tried to correct them. Chances are it "corrected" needed files (such as windows system files) which are required for booting.

You might get away with just restoring some of your Win System files, but it might be more worthwhile doing the restore.

But wait for other replies first, because I am probably way off :)

Mike.

Stumped Badly
22-09-2003, 11:18 PM
If replacing the MBR doesn't get you going again.
Boot from floppy or CD Rom & reinstall ME over the top.
Somethings gone wrong with the defrag & corrupted essential System files.
By reinstalling over the top you shouldn't lose any data.
You will probably be asked during setup if you want to install windows to the existing windows folder or install to a different directory, choose the existing & overwrite it.

beama
22-09-2003, 11:25 PM
I tend to agree with Mike, the ".CHK" files are, if I remember correctly, files that are created when errors are found on a disk during a scan disk.
As for a fix to your situation, I'm sorry I'm not sure,( I try not to give bad advice) but I hope one of the regular posters here will be able to suggest one.

Merlin
23-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Copy the system files to the hard drive using a startup/boot floppy

Ensure the floppy has the same system files as the operating system on the PC

Use 'SYS C:' at the A drive command prompt

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

Curly
23-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies, we are getting there !!

Now the Windows splash screen shows but following that is the message
Type the name of the command interpreter (e.g c:\windows\command.com)

Tried C:\windows\command.com and c:\command.com and on both occasions I am told to control-alt-delete to restart.

Trouble is this loop always occurs.

Is it time for major surgery?

Murray P
23-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Command.com should be on your boot disc/Startup disc/Recovery disc. If you don't have one go to Boot Disk (http://www.bootdisk.com/) and download one. As above copy system files over.

Cheers Murray P