PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a PC

paulmckendry
22-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi,
I am responsible for 60 PCs and am anxious about identification in the event of theft.
The serial numbers are just stickers and easily lost of taken.
Any suggestions out there?
Paul

robsonde
22-09-2003, 07:28 PM
you could open them up and note the serial of the motherboard.

you could engrave a serial inside.

you could er........ um..........

I am sure other will have good ideas :-)

minos#2
22-09-2003, 07:39 PM
or how about using a blue light reactive pen and marking the pc inside and out?

or there is some software you can get that allows you to write a special partition onto the harddrive that cannot be removed ( even with a format ) and lets you record infomation... like owner/parts etc... another piece of software that works out if its stolen ( can't remember how ) and then dials itself out to the company who in turn tell you!

I guess others will have ideas too!

:)

Graham L
23-09-2003, 04:59 PM
You can get an engraver for about $25 which will permanently mark the metal case. You details are easily seen if put on the back panel beside the manufacturer's labels. (The sort which vibrate a tungsten carbide tip are easier to write with than the Dremel type rotatory ones --- and a lot cheaper).

Kame
25-09-2003, 12:16 AM
I think you are looking at this the wrong way Paul,

The computers I maintain, isn't about identifying which ones are stolen but actually preventing theft, although we have engraved the serial numbers to the case, labelled most peripherals and products with company logo.

All computer cases are bolted to the floor or desk, pozi screws have been replaced with torx screws, case has been modified so that none of the cables on the back can be taken out. (makes it difficult for upgrading/fixing) but what's better, paying for maintenance or buying a new computer you couldn't recover.