PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Excel file

Fatcam
22-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi there

I have an excel file which does not open as it was stored on a disk with some bad sectors. I know it is possible to get software to restore the data that was contained in the file but it is quite expensive. Is there any other ways to go about it.

cheers

godfather
22-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Your problem is, that nobody knows (including you I guess) exactly what the damage is to the file.

Its a job for expert data recovery people. You need to understand the file structure of the spreadsheet version and recreate the damaged parts at a byte level.

There is not likely to be a universal piece of "magic bullet" software as each incident will be quite different.

If too much data is corrupt or missing it will be next to impossible to recover. If ony a little, its possible. The trouble is in determining just what is missing/damaged.

Graham L
23-09-2003, 04:14 PM
If you've got Norton's utilities, you ought to be able to get what's readable of the file.

MS/DOS is a bit unkind ... it will give you junk or zeroes for the whole 512 bytes of bad sectors, even if there's only one bad byte. I suppose the argument is that you can't know which bytes are bad.

But you could try copying the file with DOS, and give "F" to the Abort, Retry or Fail complaint. That will give you what's readable. In a newe "readable" file. But it probably won't do you much good. :-(