PDA

View Full Version : Network Sharing with overseas Students

videoguy
22-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Hello We have a home network 4 computers all connected to an DSE ADSL router 2 X win98 2 X winXP

The router uses DHCP

We have two student from Japan and China
They would like internet access using our ADSL

Can I set up their computers and our network so they can not have access to our computers?

What about Virus or trojan's from their computers to our computers

any assistance appreciated

Kame
22-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Which computers are which/whos? That way when explaining how to secure your system, we can do it for specific operating systems.

Viruses/Trojans, you need Antivirus software on all four computers, you need a firewall on all four computers. NAT is only good for stopping incoming and only good for stopping outgoing if you set up filtering which is a hassle to maintain.

To stop them with XP, make sure their User Logon is not part of XP, do not have Guest enabled, and make sure they don't know Passwords for users on XP. Other than that, Firewall and block their IP address, although pretty hard when DHCP is being used as it's possible (sometimes not likely) that their IP address is changed.

somebody
22-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Are the 4 networked computers all yours, or are the ones which belong to the exchange students among the 4 which you mention?

The easiest way to prevent access to your personal files etc. is to disable file sharing on your computer. That way (theoretically) the students wouldn't be able to access any files on your computer. If you mean physical access, then password protect your logons, and disable the guest account. It can be done in Win98 too.

Virus/trojans should be ok, as long as you have a good firewall/antivirus program installed on your computers.

videoguy
22-09-2003, 04:17 PM
sorry for the confusion the student XP machines will be additional

The proposed setup is as per diagram

The students computeres are both XP they will be connected to an old hub I have (one of my computers will also be connected to the hub)

WAN
|
Router
____________________|__________
MY win98 my win98 hub My XP
__________________|_________
My XP Student1 XP student2 XP

Win98 is setup with both read and write password access but can't get my head around how xp allows access it seems that it either allows or disallows access and I only want to allow my XP computers to share on their own workgroup but it seems that if anyone sets up their xp with just my workgroup name they have access

XP seems to be different All I can see on XP sharing is allow or disallow sharing

kiki
22-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Yes if you set all the computers up with a manual IP address (Not assigned by the DHCP) then you can use a personal firewall on each computer to only allow the IPs you want to access that computer.

Also disable the default shares on the XP computers. If you navigate to one of the XP computers, then type in \\computername\c$ in the address bar you will be able to access everything on the C drive. So to fix that, add this registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters]
"AutoShareWks"=dword: 00000000

To make the XP computer hidden on the network, but still allow access use this registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters]
"Hidden" = dword: 00000001

videoguy
23-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks for that info

If I set up with manual IP's Does that mean that the firewall action of the router is lost?

also re the registry tweak
Do u use regit to navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\ parameters]

then use the add option and enter the following?

"Hidden" = dword: 00000001

TIA

Graham L
23-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Make it into two LANs. They can share the same hub, router, etc. If you are using the 192.168.xxx.yyy numbers, just use different "xxx"s for the two LANs. Then you'll be able tio firewall to your heart's content.