PDA

View Full Version : Dialer Trojan Horse

Hilton
22-09-2003, 11:53 AM
How do I remove Dialer from my computer? I found it with AVG. I also use Zone Alarm,Adaware,Spybot and Anti-Virus 5.5. These are all up to date but not one of them can take care of this virus. Can you help me please.

Chilling_Silently
22-09-2003, 12:05 PM
If you post the name of the Trojan here, somebody might be able to point you in the right direction. In particular, symantec.com is a good starting point for removal tools :-)

Pheonix
22-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Hilton, really need more info. as above but also operating system as they all behave differently and directions to certain functions vary.
IF you are using ME or XP, chances are that it is detected in "system information" , which is in fact your restore. To rid, turn off system restore, restart PC, rescan with AVG and after all clear, turn restore back on.
Cheers

Archibald
22-09-2003, 12:19 PM
I've used AdAware6 build 181 successfully in the past to remove Dialers from computers. (update the Ref File).

Can delete manually or go to add remove programs and remove from there. (think it shows here?)

Don't surf the net as the Admin as you can get all sorts of things installing on your computer. (assumming you have an NT based system)

Hilton
22-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your prompt replies. Archibald,how do I surf the net as NOT the Admin. Also Pheonix I am using Windows XP Home on an Amd Athlon XP1800 with 1024 Mb ddr ram & Geforce 2 Titanium graphic card & an 80Gb HD partitioned into 3 drives. I will try your suggestions as soon as I can. Chilling Silently Read my lips.

beama
22-09-2003, 06:28 PM
I think what Archibald means is, setup an user account on your xp machine that does not have administrator rights and use that to surf the net, I only use the administrator account when I what to change a setting globally or install software. This does prevent virus infections but it does minimize damage that can be done, also remember the xp firewall only stops incoming connections(if enabled) and does not stop or monitor outgoing connections.

Archibald
22-09-2003, 07:32 PM
What beama said.

To create a new user account: Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | create a New Account | and think of a name for new user account | Next button | set type to "Limited" | Create Account. Log off and logon with your new account that you just created.