PDA

View Full Version : Target computer repair sting

tedheath
21-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Did you see the sting operation on the Target program tonight?.
Its just as I thought there are some shady @#$%^&* out there.
These mobile guys are too expensive to call if you have a repair on a old computer. It would be cheaper to buy a going one from the T&E and use the old one for spares.
I suppose the only way is to talk to someone else who has had a repair done at a fair price.
Ringing up blind from the from yellow pages would be extremly dumb.
If car repairs in Auckland are anything to go on I wouldnt let anyone touch my car unless they been in business for a few years. Also I think you can spot shady @#$%^ by talking to them.

tedheath

-=JM=-
22-09-2003, 12:11 AM
There are people like that in all industries. It's just a matter of being careful.

kiki
22-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Damn! I wanted to watch that...did you tape it by any chance?? ;)

Thomas
22-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Did you want to watch yourself on the telly;)

stu140103
22-09-2003, 12:00 PM
> Did you see the sting operation on the Target program
> tonight?.

Last night Yes!

> Its just as I thought there are some shady @#$%^&*
> out there.
> These mobile guys are too expensive to call if you
> have a repair on a old computer. It would be cheaper
> to buy a going one from the T&E and use the old one
> for spares.
> I suppose the only way is to talk to someone else who
> has had a repair done at a fair price.
> Ringing up blind from the from yellow pages would be
> extremly dumb.
> If car repairs in Auckland are anything to go on I
> wouldnt let anyone touch my car unless they been in
> business for a few years. Also I think you can spot
> shady @#$%^ by talking to them.

I was shocked to see/hear that half of them could not repair the first computer & a few count not fix the 2nd one too!

They are some shady people out there & there are some good repair people to.

So my advise to any one would be is customer beware!.

cyberchuck
22-09-2003, 12:06 PM
I found that it was dummifying to be honest..
With statements like "A virus scanner is a necessity to keep malicious programs from harmfully destroying your computer if you use the internet" (or however it went).. In all fairness a firewall is of more use if you use the internet, and practically everyone, regardless of whether they use a computer or not is aware of virii and the necessity for viral scanners.
While they do have pretty reasonable articles on different types of scenarios (eg: last nights one on computers) they fail to remember that there are companies involved with this and a bad review could really stuff them over. Just because one of their employees is dodgy doesn't mean everyone is. It just casts a bad shadow over the entire company and makes them as a whole look bad.

CyberChuck

metla
22-09-2003, 12:30 PM
What were the faults with the computers that they failed to fix?

tedheath
22-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Reset button on an old shitter computer and a faulty network card and virus on w98 old shitter computer.

tedheath

DangerousDave
22-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Why would you need to call someone when theres everyone at PressF1 :D
- David

Steve Askew
22-09-2003, 01:04 PM
I sometimes wonder how many repairers they go to before they get the story they want?
Some of the faults they setup would be very rare in every day use.

When Target did computer shops in wellington about 2years ago,A local shop told me that he was sure the Target team had been to him as the pentium 166 pc that was brought into his shop by 2 people had the floppy drive disabled in the bios & the bios had been passworded & also when he took the lid off the computer it was spotless inside including the fans.
As it turned out they used on their show another PC repairer that was located about 1km away.

Cheers Steve

mikebartnz
22-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Have never liked Target as I feel it is grossly unfair. They did one on jewelers in Auckland and they only used five shops. How many jeweler shops in Auckland and how many could have been far worse than the ones they showed.
The sticking reset button came up in a post here recently but I must admit it wouldn't have been my first thought.
Fair Go is a far superior program.

segfault
22-09-2003, 03:31 PM
I did not see Target last night, but I have heard a lot of talk about it. I agree that there are some "computer technicians" out there that shouldn't have a job, but I can't help feeling that we are a bunch of armchair critics. It's easy to say "I would have spotted that" but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it :)

tedheath
22-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Nope the biggest problems were the waxheads who just wanted the customer to upgrade the cpu. They werent really interested in fault finding. I wish they would just go back to India, England or Albania or where ever they come from
No one is going to begrudge a tech who looks for the fault and cant find it, and says I will take it back to the shop. At least then they can shotgun fault find by changing cards/mb/ram etc.

tedheath

Thomas
22-09-2003, 04:56 PM
>I wish they would just go back to India, England or Albania or where >ever they come from.

Funny you should say that,chum,pc tech just gone to England and is working in Manchester,will ask them to send him back on a reciprocal basis.

minos#2
22-09-2003, 05:23 PM
after watching it myself ( along with my girlfriend who is a pc tech as well ) I can say we were less than impressed.

for the host to complain that one of the techs called out had to replace different parts before he found and fixed the problem , is amazing! Most techs I know would suggest that in some cases if the problem is not imediately obvious, then using the AB swapp method or at least reducing the system in question down to the basic needed for a post and then work from there is the norm.

My first thing I was taught by my first boss was to fix a problem with a PC. He created a problem with a faulty resett switch ( easy to do... ) and then got me to work out what was wrong... it took me about five minutes.

Although yes hindsight makes it easy to judge, I know of alot of people who are not so gifted in the knowledge of computers ( hell some don't even know where the "any" key is... ) who have no appreciation of the skills,knowledge and time it takes to fix computer problems. Even less do they want to pay you for fixing it!

I also wonder if the host of Target would care to subject herself to a "hidden camera test" on something technical that she claims she knows all about? would she enjoy her failures being made national knowledge?

Lastly I know a few people in the IT industry that would maybe have made the same mistakes that the staff in the Target program have made, but to call them "cowboys" would be more than insulting!

:)

bmason
22-09-2003, 05:46 PM
I make a few $$ on repairs myself and from what I've been told they weren't what I would call common problems. Which is what you get when you fake them.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem was with the reset button, but if they just stuck it down then there are heaps of things that will have the same effect. A fault in a network card that never gets used isn't the first place I would look either.

Stripping down the system down to a bare minimum is a very good start and would have found the network card, but probably not the reset switch if it wasn't disconnected.

I don't think they should have pushed getting a new computer so much though. They should have suggested it might be cheaper and asked the owner what to do.

My big problem with target is they never name the consultants so they have no credibilty.

Joeie
24-09-2003, 03:59 AM
------ what I said to internet group ------
A faulty reset button well, well, well.

OK what type of fault could we have
(1) Reset switch intermittent.
(2) Reset switch open circuit.
(3) Reset switch short circuit.

lets start with number 1, switch intermittent
Result: computer would run OK

number 2 switch open circuit
Result: computer would run OK

Number 3 switch short circuit.
Result: computer would have trouble booting up.

So I would take it that target put a short on the reset switch.

Of all the switch type problem you would most likely get would be a
intermittent switch and you would not get to see this fault until the
computer froze up and you went to reset the computer and found you had to
reset the reset button many times before the switch would work, or you might
even think the switch was open circuit and remove power from the computer to
reboot it.

Because most technicians would rate a short circuit reset button as most
unlikely fault. this is why they failed.

Right from day one this great Target program could not get things right and
wondered why TV service people thought the degauss posistor was faulty when
they put in a blown mains fuse.

Sorry Target I just don't buy you fraudulent crap you are trying to feed us
all the time.
------ what someone said to internet group ------
I didn't see the program - but the fault (shorted or stuck
reset switch) I've seen on 3 PC's in the last 10 years.

It should be a cinch to diagnose, as you'll not even get a
video BIOS screen (wouldn't this make you suspect the mobo
immediately???) - and therefore check the reset switch.
------ what I said to internet group ------

I agree with most of what you said.

But the point I was trying to make is Target is misleading from the start,
as I said the first program target put a bad fuse in a good TV and then told
viewers "why are these TV service people checking other things (degauss
posistors),
when they took out a part from a TV and shook it near their ear", it's
obvious the target program got it wrong from day one and doing there best
to mislead viewers who don't know any better.

The network card was good idea and good thinking a very good test to sort
the good techs from the bad, but the reset switch was a failure from the
start.

That would be the first thing I would pull out of a computer, then the modem
card, then any other card. and I don't even fix computers for a living.
------- and ------
3 reset switches in 10? years.
how many computers have you look at?
how many faulty network cards have you pulled out?
haw many mother boards have you found faulty?
how much brand new unused computer hardware have you found faulty?
------ what someone said to internet group ------

I agree it's a very rare problem.

drcspy
24-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Target has potentially damaged my business,
perhaps fatally, by broadcasting their own opinion of mobile computer
technicians as being inferior to the service a customer may receive from a
'shop'. Target stated that it would be 'better, and cheaper' to take the comptuer to a
shop. I fully and unconditionally refute this ridiculous statement as
unfounded and potentially VERY damaging to my own and many other businesses.
These mobile technician businesses are built and maintained on the basics of
Service, Trust, Efficiency, Convenience. Target has just 'defamed my
character' and that of many many other techs they have never even heard of.

This is a very serious commercially damaging accusation implying
incompetance. It also blatantly states that the 'shop' is better.

The shop is NOT necessarily better............I've had folks call me out because it was beyond them to pack up the puter and take it to the shop they either didn't haev the time or didn't want to try ....also if you take it to the shop you might get it back in a week or two.......I'll be there to fix your puter in less than 24 hours without a doubt.....also they said the mobile tech will be more expensive......bullshit.......I charge $40 per hour flat rate and ALL the shops in my locality charge $65 and up to $90.......Also when you take you puter to a shop you have no idea what they are doing to it but when i fix it for you in front of you you learn a lot and you can haev useful input to the process......

I've been called to jobs where the client had taken their puter to a shop and then called me out cause all the shop has done is format the drive and reload a very basic version of windoze .........and 'now I cant use my printer/scanner .....cant get on the net .......etc etc etc'

For Target to badmouth ALL mobile techs and actually ADVISE folks not to deal with them is pretty serious of them.....I reckon thats commercially damaging to mobile techs......and therefore beyond their 'brief'.

Faulty reset button ........lol well I'd say that's very rare........faulty network card..........sure........and cutting the system to the 'bone' so as to eliminate problematic hardware is pretty well good practise.

I was so bloody annoyed that they can so easily damage my business and that of others I've made an official complaint.....wonder if I'll ever hear back.....

Thomas
24-09-2003, 08:38 AM
You are the man I would want to fix my computer drcspy,but be it shop or mobile how do we know they have your integrity?

tweak\'e
24-09-2003, 09:37 AM
>I've been called to jobs where the client had taken their puter to a shop and then called me out cause all the shop has done is format the drive and reload a very basic version of windoze .........and 'now I cant use my printer/scanner .....cant get on the net .......etc etc etc'

yep thats often the case. they often need someone to set up all the rest of the gear and get it going.

however i must admit that working on a pc in the workshop is far easier. exspecially when you need to download drivers/patches etc.

CYaBro
24-09-2003, 09:49 AM
I agree with tweak'e.

Workshop is set up just for repairing PC's
i.e anti static workstation - have all the tools you might need - have all the spare parts if you need any - have a decent internet connection for updates / drivers etc - have test PC for testing clients parts in etc

It's a pain in the b... trying to work on a clients PC at their home when they don't have much room etc!

SKT174
24-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Personally I really hate Target and that woman with her irritating voice... since when did she ever aprrove or happy with any of the shop or service being tested? From my memory I can't rememeber any one of them get 100% satisfaction. There is always something wrong.

Chris Randal
24-09-2003, 11:37 AM
"From my memory I can't remember any one of them get 100% satisfaction. There is always something wrong."

But it only makes for good TV if there is something wrong. :D

Susan B
24-09-2003, 12:24 PM
> But it only makes for good TV if there is something wrong.

Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother showing the "good" service people.

ilikelinux
24-09-2003, 12:28 PM
I could of done better than all of them,
and i am a computer nerd (at the age of 13!)

Chris

Chris Randal
24-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Although the TV companies claim "no bias" they can't rate well if they show themselves to be impartial, because that makes for very boring TV.

That is why we have so many "reality TV" programmes showing people making absolute dorks of themselves, but the TV companies can't see that in showing all these programmes like "Fair" Go, and "Target" and "Going "Straight"", that they are turning off people that have an IQ of over 10.

Rant over

Chris

mikebartnz
24-09-2003, 01:05 PM
I agree with the others but I think Fair Go does a very good job and is a service to a lot of people.

Joeie
24-09-2003, 01:34 PM
> I agree with the others but I think Fair Go does a
> very good job and is a service to a lot of people.

Fair go leaves target for dead, target is as I pinted out to the Email group
" One of the television network puts
on a program on air to catch out the industry and make them look like
"dorks" TO IMPROVE THEIR TV RATINGS."

Since I posted that last posting I have had mixed feeling, one has changed but the main unchanged.

My bone with Target (unchanged bone), is they tell viewers we know the start, we know the end, we say the middle is a easy solution, then when company's fail to fix they have a laugh !!!

Most viewer would not know what a wire did in side their what's it, let alone what anything else did. then customers lose faith when the repair industry, after they have seen target, as some of you have told us.

Were I have changed tact is, this is basic microprocessor theory, to put it another way if a TV came in and I began to focus on the microprocessor, I would start checking the power to the micro, the reset line, the oscillator (mind you I have had one oscillator that only runs when you press a customer key switch), then the micro inputs, start removing all the customer control tact switches in case one was leaky by liquid spill, and so.

I am sure I would of failed the target computer reset switch, so why did I not transfer my skills over from TV to computer? was it because computer techs don't mend mother boards or it as I first thought this is a very uncommon problem, might be sort of common in TV, not in computer.

I suppose the best thing would be to do, if the industry gave themself a "target" type problem often, so when target comes along they have nothing bad to report, I have one going at the moment, I ask a TV group if they would list all the computer components that might go faulty if there was nothing on a computer monitor screen, I have had a few bites from the "reset" switch but not the right answer yet, one person is "intreaged!", another person said it's 99% either the keyboard or the mouse, because it you take those away you would not have a computer problem, I think he is the closest so far :-).

Odin
24-09-2003, 04:11 PM
DRCSPY. With that statement they made i think you would have a pretty good case to take to the broadcasting complaints authority and you'd probably win as they used a general statment that covered All mobile computers repairers, which would impact on yours and others business.