PDA

View Full Version : WinXP SP1 slows down my computer

somebody
21-09-2003, 10:09 PM
After I reinstalled WinXP (Home) on my computer, I decided to download SP1, to patch all the holes etc. etc.

Well the problem is that it is making my computer run much slower (Athlon 1.4ghz, 256mb DDR) than it was before SP1. Is this a common problem, and if so, how can I fix it (apart from uninstalling SP1)?

robsonde
21-09-2003, 10:12 PM
this is a common fault, I think there is another patch on ms website.

have a look

stu140103
21-09-2003, 10:18 PM
> this is a common fault, I think there is another
> patch on ms website.

see here

> From MS support site:
>
> May 28, 2003: Microsoft released an updated patch for
> Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). This revised patch
> corrects the performance issues that some customers
> experienced with the original Windows XP Service Pack
> 1 patch. For additional information, click the
> following article number to view the article in the
> Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>
> 819634 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kbEN-US;819634) You May Experience
> Performance Issues After You Install the 811493
>
> The fix for this is included in the
> 811493 patch (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kbEN-US;811493)
>
> NOTE: This is a revided version of the 811493 patch
> that MS re-released to fix the slow down problem.

somebody
21-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks stu.

I'm downloading the patch at the moment, fingers crossed that it will work:D

kiki
22-09-2003, 04:45 AM
Format your computer afresh, reinstall XP, get a good firewall, and don't defile XP again by installing SP1.

Big John
22-09-2003, 04:49 AM
> Format your computer afresh, reinstall XP, get a good
> firewall, and don't defile XP again by installing
> SP1.

Thats the most stupid reply I have ever heard. One to keep to yourself.
It is always best to keep up to date with patches because they usually do more than simply fix security holes.

Also a good firewall does not always help as the attack may come from within through an e-mail, a game you brought, a person in your family. The things are numerous so ignore this and keep patching to the latest.

kiki
22-09-2003, 05:08 AM
> Thats the most stupid reply I have ever heard.

No its not. You don't install something that will make your computer run slow, that defeats the purpose. If you want a slow computer, buy a 386 with Windows 3.1.

> It is always best to keep up to date with patches because they usually do more than simply fix security holes.

Yeah, like make your computer slower, create more bugs, and force you to comply with their invasive licensing agreements.

> Also a good firewall does not always help as the attack may come from within through an e-mail, a game you brought, a person in your family.

Hmm, thats why there is a thing called antivirus- heard of it? Even if you just had all the latest MS patches, it wouldn't stop anything coming through. In fact MS are not in the antivirus business.

Plus with a good firewall, then your chances are much better than just having the latest and greatest patches.

kiwibeat
22-09-2003, 06:48 AM
I have to agree with kiki that M/Soft packs are worse than leaving your PC sustem as is with a decent firewall up and good antivirus protection.
I also useZonealarm pro and Panda anti virus myself and the Xpdite patch
http://grc.com/default.htm
I have actually installed one of M/softs vital patches the blasterfix one, very reluctantly and only after reading how other peoples responses to it

Thomas
22-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Microsoft has acknowledged the problem in Q815411, and while a patch is available by request from Microsoft Product Services, it will not be widely released until Service Pack 2."

somebody
22-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Kiki - calm down before you post another reply.

I do want to keep patched, to stop security holes or bugs in the software itself. I'm not concerned with Microsoft doing any snooping, because I don't store personal details or credit card details on my computer, and also since I am NOT doing anything illegal, it doesn't concern me.

I have got a good firewall, and a good up to date Antivirus software. Sometimes firewalls/antivirus software just doesn't cut it, and the security updates are the way to go. Microsoft releases them for a reason, and that reason is not to fill up their webservers with lots of files.

I am not going to reformat my computer!!. After a hard drive failure several weeks ago, I had to reinstall windows on a brand new hard drive. I have virus-scanned it, and have installed a good firewall/antivirus as well. Reformatting a computer takes quite a bit of time, because I have lots of software and personal settings/data to restore, and it is time I simply don't have.

At the moment I am following stu's advice, but I haven't finished downloading the patch quite yet.

stu140103
22-09-2003, 01:02 PM
> Microsoft has acknowledged the problem in Q815411,
> and while a patch is available by request from
> Microsoft Product Services, it will not be widely
> released until Service Pack 2."

Which will not come out till next year some time.

Big John
22-09-2003, 01:11 PM
> No its not. You don't install something that will
> make your computer run slow, that defeats the
> purpose. If you want a slow computer, buy a 386 with
> Windows 3.1.

It is an acknowledged problem and a little search and a question here helped resolve the problem and should get the machine back to full speed. No problem.

> Hmm, thats why there is a thing called antivirus-
> heard of it? Even if you just had all the latest MS
> patches, it wouldn't stop anything coming through. In
> fact MS are not in the antivirus business.

Well duh! I was an anti virus writer probably before you where even thought of so I certainly know what they are and how to handle them with and with a checker.

> Plus with a good firewall, then your chances are much
> better than just having the latest and greatest
> patches.

If you like to think so then who are we to change your mind. I have said my bit and I would hope others are not put off from updating their software just because of a few comments like these.

somebody
22-09-2003, 01:25 PM
I've installed the patch, and it seems to have worked.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Thomas
22-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Do they have computers in Howera?;)