PDA

View Full Version : Set up wireless on existing network

Harry_H
20-09-2003, 10:13 PM
I have a home network running over cat 5 cables. All nodes are connected to an 8 port cnet switch. The uplink port is used to connect to a Dynalink Router which provides DSL to Xtra for all the PCs on the network. It works great, trouble is I have cat 5 cables running up the stairs to reach a couple of PCs. I just got a new laptop that has built in wireless. Id like to get rid of the wires. What would I get to give me wireless access, without having to replace any existing parts?

godfather
20-09-2003, 10:19 PM
If you plug a wireless access point into your switch, and fit wireless adapters to the PCs where you want to get rid of the cabling, thats all you need.

If they are desktop PCs, a wireless PCI card or PCI adapter with a PCMCIA wireless adapter.

I have a mix of wired and wireless. Works fine.

John H
21-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Ditto godfather.

victorcy
21-09-2003, 12:29 PM
I got my network with wire and wireless on Dynalink ADSL 300RTW. Before that I have make some enquiry about similar setup you are now experiencing.

Please leave your network alone, what you now require is just a Wireless Access Point that will connect to one of your eight port. Try to find out what your wireless laptop access e.g. 802.11b or 802.11g. If it is Wi-Fi (802.11b), get the Wireless Access Point with the similar signal. Unless you have bluetooth which is a moblie wireless network.

Harry_H
07-10-2003, 07:53 PM
I got a Dick Smith Access Point for $199, plugged it in, but could not get to see the network or the router. The instructions were useless. Spent the whole day trying to find info on the web, but to no avail. Any ideas? My RTA020 is using DHCP to give each machine and IP, and does the DNS relay for all the machines, so that they just have a simple confiq setup. All goes well on the wired front. But no joy on the Wifi. The machine with the wireless is an IBMX31 and it is 802.11b, as is the access point. The laptop can see the access point, but not passed it.

godfather
07-10-2003, 09:21 PM
I use a Belkin Access Point. Plugged it into a spare port on the router.

It came with a setup program, running that once from one PC on the wired network and it was away.

Have you run any software over the wired network to set it up?

BTW my router (Alcatel) acts as the DHCP host as well. (XP)

Harry_H
08-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Yes. It runs a self aquire, which picked up the AP, also XP detected the presence too, neither could see the LAN or my DSL router.

CYaBro
08-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Once one of your wireless cards can see the AP you will need to change the IP address of the AP to match the IP addresses that the router DHCP is giving out to the wired part of your network.

Once you have done that you should be able to set the wireless cards to use DHCP and they should pick up an IP from the router as well!

That's how I do it here anyway.

Harry_H
08-10-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks!

So I disregard the instructions and type all the info in the same as for my DSL connections and it works....Plus make sure that the settings on the PC and the confiq for the AP all match.

If you are reading this, then I'm on-line via Wifi.!!!