PDA

View Full Version : Problem opening all files and programmes

Smurf
19-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Running Windows XP on Laptop HP ze 4315
All icons on the desk top appear to have been corrupted. Cant get into system restore. Each icon indicates an LNK file. How can I get things up and running.

Pheonix
19-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Sounds like your associations have been corrupted. Download a fix here (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_fileassoc.zip).

Smurf
19-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Thank you Pheonix....after playing around and firstly downloading the reg file that would allow me to open the zip file, I managed to restore the file associations and am now up and running on my Laptop. Just a question about how they would have become corrupted. Would you know. I last used my puter last night and the only thing I did was to remove a programme though the Control Panel Add/Remove programmes. When I booted up today all had changed with the file associations being corrupted. Any ideas?

Pheonix
19-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Good question, could be an HP thing. :) I found the same thing on an HP laptop bought into me ,and the client I know reasonably well, said it was OK when he shut it down just before bringing it to me. I had to sort that problem out before carrying out the work he wanted in the first place.

kiki
19-09-2003, 08:14 PM
You could try TweakUI and go to rebuild icons.

Billy T
19-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Deleting shelliconcache in the windows (or winnt) directory works for me when desktops misbehave. It takes about a minute extra to rebuild the desktop on reboot, but then it is back to normal. Might not be the same as your problem though.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)