PDA

View Full Version : I want to Net to disconnect when the phone rings.

frossy13
19-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Simple thing.
Is it simple to do?

Windows XP - haven't got a modem that will do it.
Is there a programme??

Chris Randal
19-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Different....

Most people complain when an incoming call disconnects them.....

;\ ;\

frossy13
19-09-2003, 12:14 PM
My kids who are overseas reckon they are fed up of ringing me because I'm always on the Net....
Note............... They ring me when I'm on the Net. When I'm not - no calls LOL :(

tweak\'e
19-09-2003, 12:20 PM
its actually a flaw/fault with some modems that allow that to happen. tho you really need call waiting (i think) for that to happen. basicly the cal waiting beeps knock you modem off the line.

there is no program as such for this. v92 modems would be the best way to go but no isp that i know of support v92 :(

godfather
19-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Do you have telecom "call waiting" service? (you have to ask to have it enabled, and pay a monthly fee)

If so, it *might* cause your connection to be dropped (it puts "beeps" on the line, which sometimes cause the modem to hang up) when someone rings.

The caller will not get a busy signal, just a normal ringing tone. If it doesn't cause your connection to drop, you will not know they are ringing, and they will think you are not answering.

Its not designed to cause a disconnection, its just something that can happen. No guarantees it will or will not.

tommy
19-09-2003, 12:24 PM
If you have a cell phone your children could call you on that to alert you that they are trying to contact you. You would not have to actually answer the (cell) phone but you should be able to see on the caller display who it is and be able to disconnect from the internet and allow them to then call you on the land phone.

Chilling_Silently
19-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Im with Tweak'e and Godfather!
It also seems that the faster the connection (eg 56kbps) the easier it is for them to get kicked off (as opposed to 28k), however that's only what I've found with my connection (Yeah, it varies between those two numbers sadly :-().

Tell them to call back twice, that's what I do if its urgent and Im calling home!

Thomas
19-09-2003, 01:29 PM
As apposed to what we would like to happen,I think Tommy has the only answer.
Broadband will solve the prob,if a bit on the expensive side.:-"

godfather
19-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Cellphone coded rings would be fine, but usually (but not always) the caller number is blocked on incoming overseas calls.

Tell them to ring at 03:30 NZ time. You probably will not be on the net then?

tweak\'e
19-09-2003, 02:34 PM
and why aern't they contacting you via the net ?? ]:)

Graham L
19-09-2003, 05:17 PM
I think it will be possible. I assume that the Call Waiting actually interrupts the carrier signal while it is putting the special tones on the line.

First, find the manual for your modem. :D

I have looked at a few modem manuals in the last few days, and there is one setting which might do what you want. Unfortunately, although the setting seems to be common to a lot of modems, it's not the same setting --- it's an "improvement". The Genius GM56flex-V book lists register s10 as the one for "Carrier loss time". Another book I have with me shows it as S10. IT accepts a value of 0-255, with the default being 14. The unit is tenths of a second, so that's 1.4 seconds.

Try reducing the value of the appropriate S register a bit at a time. It will pay to get someone near to ring you to test it. :D

Of course this won't work unless you have Call Waiting enabled. And you'll have difficulty doing it without the manual. :D (Though it wouldn't be impossible ... I can see how to do it, but I won't post the method unless it's essential. ;-))