PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6 not responding

Kowhai
19-09-2003, 01:42 AM
I see a previous post had no luck with this problem. On Windows XP home and Professional computers both have OE not responding. Suspect a Standdown while OE is open. Reformat fixes the problem, but I wish to avoid this if I can. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Pheonix
19-09-2003, 09:59 AM
What are the symptoms, GF's crystal ball is out on loan somewhere else :)
If you try to open OE and it opens the frame, but then just sits there busy, forever and a day. Then search for inbox.dbx (you may have to go into "advanced" and tick the box "show Hidden & system files" .
When located, rename to inbox.old and then try opening OE again.

*Sparky*
19-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi kowhai,
Had the same problem last week and despite all the suggestions on Press F1, I found the solution accidently.

Before I give you the answer, I have to ask 2 questions to see if its the same problem:
1. What happens when you try to open OE?
2. Which anti virus program are you using?

Cheers.

Kowhai
19-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Pheonix,

You do not need a crystal ball, you need a medal :) OE is back up and running with all the e-mails still in it Yehaaaa!!

Thanks so much and also for your speedy reply

Kowhai
19-09-2003, 08:41 PM
OE just sat there with the old hour glass, nothing appeared in the inbox panes and task manager reported it as Not Responding Duh! I could see that lol. I use AVG and Nortons 2002. Thanks also for your quick response as I was on one steep learning curve with Outlook, trying to access different ISP e-mails and sure am one happy Kowhai to have my OE back and running.

Kindly regards
Kowhai

*Sparky*
19-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Yip. Just as I suspected. Same as my problem.
Next time it happens, heres how to fix it.

Open Task Manager, click on processes tab, and look for "avgcc.exe"
Highlight it then go to End Task.
Now OE will open.

I think there must have been a corrupt file in the last update. I have just done another one and it was only 21kb big. Must have been the missing part or the fix.

Happy surfing.

Kowhai
21-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks Sparky, will use this on the other computer at work, as it has AVG too

Thanks for all your help
Kowhai