PDA

View Full Version : trillian update probs

beetle
18-09-2003, 08:16 PM
ok i have got the dreaded poup from trillian and did the update at lunch time and now tonight, i cant get trillian to sign in or connect?

and the trillian site says FAGs are under constructiion ?

is there something wrong with it? is it not working or is the update dodgy?

beetle

beetle
18-09-2003, 08:59 PM
also cant log into yahoo or msn seperatly,

LOL

just having a good day like normal

also having a few probs with chat, but that one is operator trouble id say........ lol

beetle

Holy Cow
18-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Why did you update it if the previous version was working OK?
Updating (then having problems) seems to be a recurring theme here.

beetle
18-09-2003, 09:17 PM
but i was having probs couldnt get away from the popups all the time...

even if other msn and yahoo were upgraded.

may need to reinstall i feel

beetle

kewefella
18-09-2003, 09:53 PM
skip the upgrade and go for the new full version, I did this about an hour ago and it seems to work fine. MSN wasn't connecting but a restart of trillian seems to have ironed out that problem too.

beetle
18-09-2003, 11:00 PM
doesnt the full version cost ?

beetle

-=JM=-
19-09-2003, 02:01 AM
Trillian != MSN

If you update MSN it doesn't mean that Trillian will use the new protocol ;)

beetle
19-09-2003, 09:23 AM
ive updated Yahoo, MSN and trillian but still no go? so whats the deal then?

i even reinstalled trillian it opens but wont connect, even when i know all is well and im on the net.

redo yahoo or msn? as not connecting no popups though but then also no IM.

beetle

tommy
19-09-2003, 12:28 PM
You could try a system restore back to before updating Trillian and see if you can then connect. You will have the pop up messages return but at least you should be able to use your instant messaging. You will not lose any data with a system restore but it would still pay to do a back up first.

beetle
19-09-2003, 02:25 PM
ok did a system restore and it now says no skin available and closes trillian...
so updated it and it still does the same thing. will have a look at site later to download new skin.

update you all later

beetle

Rod J
19-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Your best bet I think (as suggested by kewefella) is to download the full program (still the free version though here (http://download.com.com/3000-2150-10047473.html?part=trillian&subj=dlpagtag=button)) and install that. The update process you've been trying may not be rectifying an underlying problem.

beetle
19-09-2003, 11:20 PM
actually thats the one i have downloaded twice since then and it still doesnt work.... i first off did the patch then went straight to the full size prog thinking id damaged original install but its still not working,

so trying again will let you know how i got on

beetle

beetle
20-09-2003, 03:31 PM
oh dear still no joy but went and checked the other computer that has trillian and did the update and all works fine and can access IM through Trillian....

so went of to check other computer and still not working.....

am i missing something?

does it need cookies or something ? some that is blocking the connection?

beetle

beetle
20-09-2003, 07:57 PM
please can anybody help.....

still have no access with yahoo or msn > i uninstalled all messenger progs and the reinstalled all but trillian at this stage and still have no access,

i have figured out it is firewall probs but do not know how to set it to let these progs have access to the net.....

am really getting frustrated here, as cannot message any one to help me.... :D

how or where can i check my fire wall? im presuming its the win XP home firewall, if i disable it will they work?

or will that cause more trouble?

beetle

beetle
20-09-2003, 09:59 PM
still not working..... the stupid #*^%$#@#% thing

am really wondering why i have a puter???????

let me guess to learn?

learn how to be stressed :p :D

beetle

Jen C
20-09-2003, 10:38 PM
OK Beetle, how about a quick summary of what works and what doesn't, and what things you have tried so far (it's getting a bit confusing now)

1. Can you use Yahoo or MSN by themselves to send/receive messages?
2. When you reinstalled Trillian, did you add all your details and passwords correctly - check again.
3. What firewall do you have running? Just the built in XP one?
4. Can you connect with Trillian with the firewall disabled?

beetle
21-09-2003, 04:03 PM
ok have uninstalled trillian as could not get it to work,

uninstalled yahoo, as it wouldnt work and reinstalled with all details ok, will not connect.

uninstalled MSN as it wouldnt work, and reinstalled it details ok, will not connect.

did a restore, nothing works when taking it back either so .......

no progs work with or without trillian (which at moment is uninstalled)
yahoo / msn wont connect by themselves

am stuck with progs that open but cannot connect to whatever for them to work (this is only happening on my personal computer still works ok on work computer in office)

so am confused and think something is blocking it.

clear as mud now?

im really muddled myself why did it work then not work as i havent touched the fire wall, which is XP home one - says its enabled.

ho hum

beetle

Rod J
21-09-2003, 04:31 PM
As Jen C suggested:

Can you connect with the firewall disabled?

If you can disable it and then can connect OK, it would certainly point to the firewall being the problem. Maybe you haven't intentionally changed any firewall setting but perhaps some program has without your knowledge.

The fact that the other IM programs AND Trillian aren't working indicates a problem with your PC somewhere rather than those programs themselves.

stu140103
21-09-2003, 04:49 PM
I have only skimmed read this hole thread but seen you are having trillian problems,

Why donít you just uninstalled trillian then install Yahoo & MSN messenger, that is what I would do & run Both Yahoo & MSN messenger by them selfís with out trillian

Do you really need trillian???? Do you use ICQ, AIM???? If you donít then you donít really need trillian then, do you????

Jen C
21-09-2003, 04:55 PM
> I have only skimmed read this hole thread but seen
> you are having trillian problems,

On Beetles last post, she quite clearly said that neither Yahoo or MSN will connect to the internet. No IM program is working. We are just waiting to see what effect disabling the firewall has on these programs.

Have another read of the thread.

beetle
21-09-2003, 05:44 PM
ok still having trouble, i have had a few probs trying to work out if firewall has been enabled to be disabled, but beleive i disabled it and no difference still canot connect these IM's

so reinabled the FW (as far as i can tell, settings dont seem to change much if at all) shut down and restarted it each time.

so any other suggestions?

the only thing i have put on apart from the updates of IM's is the last Microsoft update, on saturday / sunday ? of last week.

help....

beetle

Jen C
21-09-2003, 05:51 PM
To see whether the XP firewall is on or off go to Control Panel > Network Connection. Right click on your dial-up connection icon and select Properties > Advanced Tab. Under "Internet Connection Firewall" look for the presence of absence of a tick beside "Protect my computer and network ....". You don't need to reboot to enable or disable the firewall.

beetle
21-09-2003, 05:57 PM
oh well it still doesnt work then,

LOL

my computer said something (box) saying will not reset unless disconnected - i took this to be a restart

no change in not starting, it opens enough to say login etc then cannot connect on msn as . net messenger service please ensure you are connected to the net.... which i am.

does nt say anything on yahoo just wont connect

???
beetle

Jen C
21-09-2003, 06:09 PM
So we can rule out the XP firewall. What about other firewalls you have or had installed? Were these removed completely from you system? Also have a look in Start > Run. Type in msconfig - OK. Click on the Startup Tab and look for any entries relating to previous installed Firewalls eg ZoneAlarm, Keiro. If you find any entries, remove the tick from beside it.

When I updated Trillian with the patch, my firewall gave a new alert which I had to say yes or no to as the program had changed since the previous permission was given. I'm just wondering if you have an incomplete uninstallation of a prior firewall throwing a spanner in the works.

beetle
21-09-2003, 06:21 PM
ok did that found nothing of previous zonealarm

but did find these and dont know what they are, (did not touch :D )

E_S1OIC2
Wkfud
WksSb
Nerocheck (cd thing?)
Avgcc32 (AVG ? virus thing?)
Carpserv
E_S1OIC2 (twice ????)
WkDetect
Ypager
Microsoft Works Ca.

but did also look in services ( not touching)
and it says

Messenger Microsoft Stopped

will this mean its not currently running or it wont run because its been stopped?

confuzzled

beetle

Jen C
21-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Glad you didn't touch anything under the Services tab :D ... the Messenger service you saw stopped has nothing to do with Windows Messenger or MSN. E_S101C2 only belongs to your Epson printer. So, no ZoneAlarm or other firewall listed then huh? There goes that theory.

Bit stumped now.

beetle
21-09-2003, 07:00 PM
oh dear then know great words of wisdom for me?????

:D

any body else?

thanxs anyway Jen C made me more aware of things and also looking in places i would generally not look at ever....

:)

beetle

Susan B
21-09-2003, 11:35 PM
I am well and truly stumped with this one, Beetle, sorry. :-(

Something has spat the dummy somewhere, but who knows where?? A long shot, but your date and time on the Tasktray is correct, isn't it?

Strangely enough, I haven't updated my Trillian and I don't get those MSN popups anymore. Now that is weird.... ?:|

beetle
22-09-2003, 01:18 AM
ok did another system restore back furtor to before the popups and still no go, so restored back to today .

then a uninstall of msn and yahoo then did a defrag and reinstalled both again, but know go will open progs but wont connect.

is it some thing to do with proxy settings? as when look in preferences or want to change settings on either prog, some areas are still greyed out, what does this mean ???? as cant put in name for display name and a few other settings?

why would this be??

time and date ok, nothing untoward, and i havent fiddled with any settings that would do anything like this,

beetle

beetle
22-09-2003, 01:01 PM
ok back again

have done a total uninstall of these progs - yahoo & msn
then went through and did a search for anything with it in yahoo msn and trillian and deleted what was left and have emptyd the recycle bin to, (if too much goes wrong ill do a restore) and have rebooted and will try at some other stage installing these progs on this machine,

may change names / display and login

and go from there.

will let you know how i get on.

thanxs all

im totally lost as to why they didnt work when it was fine up till then.
keep plodding along i guess,

beetle

beetle
22-09-2003, 07:03 PM
this is getting desperate and i have no idea what changed or what, so at moment have know IM on this computer and when i have put one or more back on they still dont connect.... and if i had zonealarm i would know that was the culprit but as i dont have any of those, i am lost and so are most of the others or they would have answered these query by now.
can you help me goddie?

if my puter is blocking these what else is it likely to be blocking?

(its pretty bad when you have to speak to yourself just to clarify what youre talking about)

sad neglected beetle..... LOL just kidding, but it is quite quiet having no im's working..

beetle

Jen C
22-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Hi again Beetle

So .... just how long ago did you remove ZoneAlarm from your PC? Have you added any new software since then that required internet access (apart from the IM's obviously)?

beetle
22-09-2003, 07:32 PM
probably a couple of months ago now i removed it. and then when all probs started on this puter it got sent away but they did not do a reinstall just replaced the mother board. (6- 10 wks?)

and had it back a while and no issues up till now.

only progs i added when it came back was mailwasher and avg (and IM's)

that i know of...

looked in add /remove and cant see any others apart from updates..

dunno any more,

just getting to frustration city,

beetle

stu140103
22-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Hello beetle

Which computer is having the problem (the front of house one) or the one that got a power surge (which got repaired)????

Have you check all your Internet connection settings???? In the Control Panel????

You can surf the internet & check your e-mails correct?????

Also have you run ad-aware - SpyBot?????

beetle
22-09-2003, 07:42 PM
the fixed one, and have not got adaware or spybot on here at moment.

im surfing just fine and getting all emails ok,

incoming and out goings of everything just not IM's so uninstalled thinking they has gone funny on initial installing but actuall got worse and so now have none on this puter but it works fine on other puter (work one) where not supposed to be anyway....

beetle

stu140103
22-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Ok, I am another one who is well and truly stumped with this one, Beetle, sorry :(

stu140103
22-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Hello beetle

You could e-mailing your question to the NZ Herald Technology section called inbox http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storyarchive.cfm?thesection=technology&thesubsection=inbox

I have tried them before, I came to pf1

& Your question might be answered this Friday

also you could try e-mailing your question to the NZ Net guide:
http://www.netguide.co.nz/useful_stuff/helpdesk/helpdesk_form.php

I have also tried them before, I came to pf1.

Jen C
22-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Ok back again :D

Getting more creative here ...

When you say MSN or Yahoo will not connect, do you get a message about not being able to connect to the server, or does the program just sit there and none of your contacts show they are online? If you don't get any server-related messages, try leaving the program open for a while (say 15 mins) and see what happens. I know this sounds strange but you never know :D.

beetle
22-09-2003, 09:23 PM
LOL let the creative juices flow.....

just got to reinstall it first and will let you know how i get on.....

its a reasonable lenght 25 mins or so...

thanxs for putting up with me Jen c and being such a good sport helping.

thanxs also to Stu.... and wheres Susan B ?????
:p

the only message i get is the . Net cannot conect because of or your internet connection is not working (or to those words sorta)

beetle

beetle
22-09-2003, 11:17 PM
ok reinstalled MSN and went to login / sign in and before i finished clicking on sign in box this is what it comes up.

"we were unable to sign you in to .Net messenger service, possibly because of a problem with the service or with your internet connection. please make sure you are connected to the internet."

this is the only thing i get. i have not reinstalled yahoo yet but it usually just sat there doing nothing.... no boxes or errors etc.

flumoxed me.
now any ideas?

beetle

Susan B
22-09-2003, 11:54 PM
> and wheres Susan B ?????

I am thinking, Girl, I am thinking!!! :D

Been looking around for you and it sounds like others are having problems with MSN itself. No mention of Yahoo problems though. And no one has any answers for them so no solution just yet. :-(

Can't you send that box down here? I'll fix it for you......... ]:) :p

kiki
22-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Obviously Trillian can't handle the new MSN protocol yet, which forced all the users to upgrade. Maybe an update will be out soon which will allow you to connect to MSN again via trillian.

Can you download MSN Messenger 6 and install that?

Can you completely uninstall any firewalls you have?

Failing that, I guess MSN and Yahoo have blocked you from accessing their networks (for annoying too many PF1'ers of course) :D Just kidding. ;)

beetle
23-09-2003, 12:02 AM
well think faster !!!! :p

i have MSN 6 installed and it dont work so now what? it was that what was there from the start of my probs.......

ive decided fix one at a time do msn first then worry about yahoo and trillian last...

thanxs for all input and help much appreciated.

beetle

Rod J
23-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Did you say that the motherboard was replaced on this PC? And the shop didn't reinstall Windows? I'm not a hardware expert but it seems to me unless the motherboard is absolutely identical to the one being replaced reinstalling Windows would be desirable if not necessary.

I wonder if it could be a problem with the motherboard drivers, although if the problem is at that low a level (in the hardware/software interface) you would think there would be more going wrong than just an inability to get IM programs working.

I've found that reinstalling Windows quite often works wonders for these inexplicable problems with computers ;)

beetle
23-09-2003, 05:08 PM
more going wrong ??? give me some ideas of what i may be on lookout for,

it screen freezes on me a little.

any other ideas?

its almost like it wwas before but progs are not shutting on me (yet)

beetle

stu140103
23-09-2003, 05:35 PM
if all else fails You could do a repair of win XP( backup first) , do this once no one else has not more ideas.