PDA

View Full Version : How do I play MPEG-2 files

hamstar
18-09-2003, 04:00 PM
How do I play MPEG-2 files. i.e. off VCD disk. I haveMusicmatch, WMP, Winamp, BSPlayer, Kazaa, Ifranview, DVD player(win2k).

None of the above work.

I don't have a DVD drive but I have a Virtual Clonedrive which is a DVD emulator.

Cheers ham

Chilling_Silently
18-09-2003, 04:09 PM
IIRC, The latest Windows Media Player works fine for playing VCD's.

There's a few sub-folders on the CD, open up WMP9 and choose open, and browse those sub-folders until you find the media files.

Opening them like you would with any other media file should work fine :-)

You may have to tell it to list "All files" when browsing for the VCD Video files.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

hamstar
18-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks chill, I give it another try doing what you said but I think my media player stuffed.

vk_dre
18-09-2003, 11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that MPEG 2 can be played by WM Player provided u hav a DVD drive or that aspi layer thingy, or try those DVD player software like InterVideo DVD Recorder, it can play mpeg 2 in proper widescreen format cos playin the mpeg2 in windows media gives it a distorted view.

hamstar
20-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Well for me no windows based player will play it on five different computers from Windows Media Player through to quicktime. My only hope now is XINE on the Drake...:D

now if only I could configure my sound......

kiwibeat
20-09-2003, 08:33 PM
VCD player and the right codecs help
http://www.fwnetwork.com/description/quickvcd.html

BIFF
21-09-2003, 01:39 PM
VCD uses MPEG1 it is DVDs that use MPEG2. Windows has always shipped with a free MPEG1 codec installed so media player should be able to play them simply by opening the large DAT files on the VCD (the DAT files are just MPEG1 files). If you want to play MPEG2 files you will need some DVD video playback software to get a MPEG2 codec on your machine.