PDA

View Full Version : Sound Drivers

Raewyn
18-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Hiya. We have DELL computers with Yamaha Sound Card and Drivers. Sometimes the sound stops working and there is a conflict (exclamation mark) by the sound devices in the Systems thingie.

Well, usually we just reinstall the drivers and everything is a-okay again. This time it didn't work! *faints* I removed the drivers and then reinstalled them and the sound still hasn't come back.

The options in the multimedia settings in control panel are greyed out and the exclamation mark is still beside the sound devices in the systems settings, even after I reinstall the drivers.

This has never happened before. Anyone got any ideas as to what other things I could do? The computer is on a network and if you tell me to see the Network Administrator, I'm it baby! LOL.

Thanks for your help in advance. :-)

Chemical Ali
18-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Have you treid going to the sound card manufacturer's website and getting updated drivers (appropriate to the O/S you're using) if available and installing those?
Failing that I would suggest you delete the devices under device manager, reboot your computer and try reinstalling from there.

Hope that helps.

mejobloggs
18-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Sounds like a problem I had, but i didnt have any exclamation mark thing. My sound just kept cutting out randomly. Figured out after a lot, the the speakers were plugged in the wrong way round. Left and right had been crossed over. Doesnt sound like yours though. Just thought I would add that, sorry that i cant help.

mejobloggs
18-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Man, that was dumb. Its sound like yours because the sound keeps cutting out, but it doesnt sound like your because of the driver exclamation mark thing. sorry.

Pheonix
18-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Come on Raewyn, you can tell us. We are all friends here. What's your operating system...windows?? :D

Raewyn
19-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Ooops...We're using Windows98. I'll try and update the driver and see if that works as well. :-)

Raewyn
25-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Hi again,

I found a Yamaha DS-XG audio driver for Windows98 and uninstalled the conflicting driver and reinstalled the new driver. Still no sound. Anyone got any other ideas? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks :-)

chiefnz
25-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Hi there, the reason your not getting sound and why the multimedia option are greyed out is because 98's not detecting the card properly if at all. Best thing to do is open the case remove the sound card and then insert it back into the slot, it's quite possibel that it has worked itself out of the slot ever so slightly, my guess is once you've done that it should show up in Win98 and then all you have to do is re-install the drivers for the card.

hope that helps
cheers
chiefnz