PDA

View Full Version : F1 wont open searches

tedheath
18-09-2003, 09:11 AM
I am trying to help someone here but I need to go back to one of my old posts.
The problem I have is when I find the thread it wont open.
Could somebody please confirm that something is wrong.
Search username tedheath and try to open threads 116 to 111.
I then can help Grimy with his Encarta problem

thanks
tedheath

Susan B
18-09-2003, 09:40 AM
I can confirm that those pages are taking a VERY long time to load but I got the "MS Encarta won't work" one opened. There is nothing useful in it though, ie no solution.

Susan B
18-09-2003, 09:44 AM
This thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=27116&message=100598&q=encarta#100598) "IE 6 Security settings" is the one with the solution.

Replies as follows:

Try this, Ted: go to google.co.nz/ and enter "encarta atlas internet explorer security" in the search window. The fifth match, titled "Tiny Computers Support Site/Reference Section" will give you a fix.

Isn't google wonderful?

Thanks Graham
After following the procedure two things happened firstly IE stopped working, if I didnt have goback to reverse changes in registry like it said I would be in deep crap It says delete internet key so sure the ie will stop.
Secondly sure the error message went away but it still kept asking for the cd to be put in the drive and it was there
I think I might give up and smash the ms encarts atlas 2000 cd and buy another non microsoft one.

Oh dear.

"Internet Settings" ... did that have any lower levels? worth a look. That site looks "proper", so I think they'd not sabotage people. The second match from that site has a note at the bottom: Disk 7 is the install disk for Encarta Atlas, to run it, it needs disk 8.

Cannot help you with the Encarta Security settings but isn't Encarta Atlas made up of 2 disks, I don't have it installed right now but off memory you installed it using one disk and accessed the program using the other disk.
When it prompts you to insert the CD have you tried the other CD(s) instead? Just a thought which you might already have tried.

Tedheath, I just tried my atlas for the first time and got the same warnings as you, but I just ignored it and put in my Encarta disc 3 (ME) and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks Duck, Danger, and Graham,
Used the second disk and away it went warning messages and all.
People like me shouldnt be allowed to play with technical things like computers.
Thanks again for taking the time out to help a retard.

Sorry, but I am too lazy to copy and paste the usernames with the replies.

Hope that helps.

tedheath
18-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks Susan but somewhere between threads 111 to 116 is the solution for Grimy.
When I try it takes so long it comes up with page not displayed.
I have dial up and live in northern East Massey so I arent in the wops or anything

tedheath