PDA

View Full Version : Faulty?

cold_fu5ion
17-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Hi all,
I'm having problems with a pc that I have built.
When I tried to install win 2k professional it stoped and did a memory dump when it got to 'removing temp files'. The computer booted and seemed to work fine, but when i went to install word it asked for then nortons av install files when it was configuring itself. So I tried to install windows 98 SE but now it is quite unstable. With the latest version of IE it says "Microsoft Internet Explorer has found an error and needs to close immediately". Also it keeps peforming illegal opperatins in word and other programs, which takes down the whole pc and it needs rebooting.

Is this becasue of a loose connection somewhere, or a card not seated properly?

Should I rebuild the pc, format (has nothing on it really) and start over? I think that this would be probably best. What do you guys(and gals) think?

Thanks

Graham L
17-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Mistrust your memory. :D

That's the most likely cause of these errors. If yiou have a number of modules, try them one at a time. OS installations are very good memory testers, because they use all the available memory, and the decompressing being done gives almost infallible error detection. :D

Billy T
17-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Ah, sweet memories,

In my case it was a dud memory stick too, same symptoms, same strife, simple cure.

Go for the memory first.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

cold_fu5ion
17-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Ok thanks,
I'll try to put a different stick in. Does anyone know a a good program to test memory, I know there a re some I just can't think of t\what they are called.
Thanks again Graham :)

Fire-and-Ice
17-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/)

cold_fu5ion
17-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks all, that sure was fast.
I'll try it out.

Elephant
17-09-2003, 07:26 PM
I use the same program (Memtest86) and it works for me.

Like other posters here I agree that a memory stick has problems.

These days I put a computer together with just Video card CPU RAM and floppy drive and leave Memtest86 to run overnight before I put in the hard drive even. :-)

cold_fu5ion
17-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Hello again.
How long should memtest take to do its thing?
oh and is it normal for my disc drive not try and acces itself (like ther is not disc) after about 20 mins?

Billy T
18-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Memory tests gave my faulty stick a clean bill of health, so it seems that not all faults can be detected. In my case it was one half of a 256MB stick on the fritz, and the other 128MB tested OK.

Substitution is the only real test.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)