PDA

View Full Version : Word count thingy

beetle
17-09-2003, 04:06 PM
i have been doing lots of lenghty word essays lately and was wondering if their a tab that i can put in on my task / icon bar that has a word count icon so just click on it and i can check, does not have one in customise the task bar so am presuming it doesnt have one?
Works, xp home
or can i find it elsewhere?

beetle

Al.W
17-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Try "Tools" click on "Word Count"
Alan

beetle
17-09-2003, 04:36 PM
yes exactly but was wondering if theres a icon to go in the task bar for it as well?

beetle

-=JM=-
17-09-2003, 04:59 PM
With Word 2002 I can go: View, Toolbars, Word Count. It will then add a word count tool bar which I can click or use <alt>+<c> to update.

beetle
17-09-2003, 07:22 PM
will this work on works?
as i have works (not by choice just came with the machine)

may try and look a bit deeper later.

beetle

beetle
17-09-2003, 09:25 PM
ok have been told that this will not work on works, but may have to try else where for another form of it / icon etc.

may be just easier if i went and got a new prog all together that actually does all these things i want, Word? or something else ?

what can you recomend and is it all pricey?

beetle

Elephant
17-09-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't think you can do that with Works.

I looked for a way to do a Macro like one keystroke but was unsuccesful.

Lokks to me like the two click solution is best.

In Works.... Menu... Tools.... Word count.

Shortstop
17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Beetle, I don't know whether this will work for you. Select - View-Toolbars-Customize-In Command Tab select Tools-Then drag Word Count to any Toolbar.

Cheers

Susan B
18-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Hiya Beetle :-)

If Shortstop's suggestion doesn't work for you then you are out of luck I'm afraid.

I had a look for a keyboard shortcut program for you but none of the free ones that I have seen will record a macro to create a shortcut. That means it will cost you to get such a program and their prices don't seem to warrant it just for that. :-(

You could have a look at getting Word since you are using a word processor so much because Word XP has a word count toolbar plus heaps of other features that Works does not have. Have a look in your paper and see if anyone has Word for sale. Unfortunately it usually comes with Office rather than stand-alone, and you don't really need Office but if it was cheap enough that would be OK.

The other thing is to wait until the "Student" specials for Office come out, usually at the beginning of the year.

exLL
18-09-2003, 04:51 PM
> Beetle, I don't know whether this will work for you.
> Select - View-Toolbars-Customize-In Command Tab
> select Tools-Then drag Word Count to any Toolbar.
>
> Cheers

Hi Beetle. I use Windows 98 and have word 97 and Works 4.5 installed.

I tried the above in Works 4.5 and it worked perfectly for me, so it is bound to work in your much later version too.

And thanks for the tip Shortstop, although I always use Word in preference to Works. :)

Cheers, :)

-=JM=-
18-09-2003, 05:16 PM
You can usually use <Alt>+<T> then the <W> key to get the word count.

Susan B
18-09-2003, 05:58 PM
> Hi Beetle. I use Windows 98 and have word 97 and Works 4.5 installed.

> I tried the above in Works 4.5 and it worked perfectly for me, so it is bound to work in your much later version too.

Hi exLL :-)

You mention that you have Word 97 as well as Works - does that mean that Word is the Works word processor or does your Works have another cut-down word processor? My Works 4.5 comes with Word and not the cut-down version but Beetle has the latter.

The reason I ask is because it is really confusing but quite important for Beetle to know exactly which program everyone is talking about.

exLL
18-09-2003, 06:23 PM
> Hi exLL :-)
>
> You mention that you have Word 97 as well as Works -
> does that mean that Word is the Works word processor
> or does your Works have another cut-down word
> processor? My Works 4.5 comes with Word and not the
> cut-down version but Beetle has the latter.
>
> The reason I ask is because it is really confusing
> but quite important for Beetle to know exactly which
> program everyone is talking about.

Hi Susan, nice to hear from you again. :)

My computer has a separate version of MS Word 97 installed.

Also installed is MS Works 4.5 which includes a word processor and a spreadsheet, both of which are shortened versions.

The spreadsheet is a shortened version of Excel. I think the word processor that is in Works 4.5 must be based on Word, but it is well short of the many extras that my full version of Word 97 has.

(Just in case you are wondering, I am not getting confused with Wordpad or Notepad which I have also.)

Did that explain it adequately? I hope I haven't confused the issue too much.

Cheers :)

beetle
18-09-2003, 08:12 PM
oh dear haveng trouble i have version 6 of works,

i can get veiw- toolbar - then standard or format? and large icons, and thats it im afraid,

so i dont think its gonna work a?

why do i always come up with difficult non fixable questions?

beetle

Elephant
18-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Well I use Office XP and Works 6.

In Works 6 I can't find what you are looking for.

If I use Word 2002 then I can do exactly what you are looking for like a word count.

You may want to try the new version of Works which includes Word 2002.

Word 2002 will give you a toolbar wich counts words as you type.

Try this link for the features of Works 7 wich includes Word 2002:-
http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/homepages/SuiteProduct.asp

If you decide to get Works 7 then this includes Word 2002.

I can help you do this if you buy the program.

My opinion is that you don't need the whole OFFICE at this point.

I do wonder why you want to shorten the process of a word count when the version of Works you have already does this?

Why can you not write the essay and do two mouse clicks find the word count?

For me I would prefer you write your essay on whatever subject you want and NOT be limited by a Word count.

A word count is surely the job of an Editor.

beetle
18-09-2003, 11:09 PM
LOL Elephant tell my lecturer to shorten the assigments then,

its a bit hard to count 1500 words or 2000 words when it writing mode and as i check my progress so i can actually have relevant info not fluff about and waste my word count it helps me to prioritise my writting.

and a double click is ok but just thought thered be a shorter version of it so to bad doesnt matter will carry on as is it seems cos at moment money does not grow on any trees round here....
and the new version by that i think you mean buy another? wouldnt i be better to get word or office then?

thanxs for all help and may have a look at these other prog's details evry one is talking about / sugesting.

beetle

beetle
18-09-2003, 11:37 PM
been doing some more thinking.

and i dont really have a reason for wanting anew prog but just thought id try to make life easier, (get a computer! ) and make a shortcut or icon of word count,
but it doesnt so thats the end of it.

no big deal, but had been thinking about doing a upgrade, but is 18mnths more of this sort of work warrant buying something else now? which in the short will get used heaps then not a all possibly after i finish my course?

and its not on special when i want it ever.

beetle

exLL
18-09-2003, 11:38 PM
I find it hard to believe that my old Works 4.5 word processor short version has the ability to do a word count and I can drop an icon of it onto the Works toolbar, whereas the later version 6 does not. I realise that they do leave things out of later versions from time to time though.

Just in case this helps you to find a way to do it on your system I will list the full steps that I took to put a word count icon on my Works 4.5 word processor Toolbar.

Firstly, I opened the Works 4.5 word processor, clicked on Tools, and then on Customize Toolbar.

That opened a small window headed up Customize Works Toolbar.

In that small window there were seven options listed. File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tools, and Window.

I clicked on Tools in the small window and a side bar appeared. There were icons in that side bar, one of which was a small rectangle with the numbers 123 inside. I clicked on that icon and dragged it to the toolbar of the Works processor which was still visible above the small window, and released it. When released it stayed there, so I clicked on ok and the small window closed.

As the processor was still open, I typed a few words and then clicked on the new word count icon on the toolbar. A box popped up saying that I had typed xxx number of words.

Although I fear the Elephant will be right, just maybe there is a possibility that you do have that option like I have, albeit in a different path.

By the way, you mentioned you had View Toolbar then 'Standard' or 'Format'. Did you try clicking on the 'Format' part. Maybe that is equivalent to my 'Customize'.

Probably didn't help but worth a try I guess.

Cheers :)

beetle
18-09-2003, 11:53 PM
exLL it doesnt seem to do this or have these options, format or standard settings are a on/ off affair no extra settings for it at all.

thanxs for the very clear consise instructions, really easy to read just wish my puter had what you said it should.

beetle

exLL
19-09-2003, 12:57 AM
Gee! :O I had better apologise to Elephant. When I posted this:

>Although I fear the Elephant will be right......

I meant to type: Although I fear that Elephant will be right......

However, as an Elephant is such a magnificient creature, I guess it is a compliment to be called one, as opposed to being named after one.

Beetle. What a shame, looks like you really are out of luck on this one. :(

beetle
19-09-2003, 09:29 AM
er elephants have thick skins dont they he'll understand :p :D
had to say that one, no offense intended, but a joke is a joke.
thanxs also from me Elephant.

thanxs exLL much appreciate the help, will let you know if i find any magical tick boxs or any other settings to get the require ments i would like.

and so the money tree is sought to plant in my back yard so if any one has seen when and let us know so we can propagate it.... :D

have a nice day

beetle

exLL
19-09-2003, 04:44 PM
> er elephants have thick skins dont they he'll
> understand :p :D

Good one Beetle. :D :D

>.................................................. .........will let you
> know if i find any magical tick boxs or any other
> settings to get the requirements i would like.

Isn't it ironic that I have two word processors and each has a word count function of which I neither need nor use, whilst you badly need one and they decide to omit it from your version. Life's a crock at times eh! :(

> and so the money tree is sought to plant in my back
> yard so if any one has seen when and let us know so
> we can propagate it.... :D

(Money Tree ?? As this is your thread, I guess this rather long off topic story won't be frowned upon here, but my advance apologies go out to any Press f1-ers who may)

Did you know that there really is one in NZ. I am not joking as I have actually seen it. It was many years ago (35 perhaps?), and permission was required to enter the area in the far north of NZ. I couldn't believe my eyes after tramping in with Vic Hensley (a local historian and naturalist and friend of one of our small party of 5) to view it. It was a pohutukawa, quite gnarled with various roots above and below the sandy ground level. It was not fenced off or anything. There were silver and copper coins literally jammed into every single nook and cranny on the tree. Some were wedged in tightly whilst others were just sitting in a convenient crack or bough joint. Even at ground level coins were tucked under and between the rootlets. It was virtually impossible to find a crack or crevice that could accommodate another coin. They were mainly American and pre decimal NZ coins. When we first saw it our initial reaction was, wow, money!, money!, but that quickly turned into a sense of serenity and respect, much like visiting historic ruins with the wonderment of it all. I still have one or two photos of it and have often wondered about whether it survived into present times or not, bearing in mind the falling standards of conduct that some people display nowadays, but according to the following web site, apparently it has. (Although it looks like it has 'converted' to decimal currency, with the old high silver content coins, being 'replaced'? by newer decimal coins.) No doubt permission to enter today will be far harder to obtain than it was when we viewed it.

Having said all that, it is not available for propogation Beetle, so once again I have failed to improve your lot. (or your garden plot LOL).

Here is the site, history but no photos. Apparently Vic Hensley was still visiting the tree in 1999 too.

Money Tree History (http://www.projectcrimson.org.nz/News/newsletter_summer99.html)

or click here (http://www.far-north-adventure-tours.co.nz/tours.htm) for present day tours,
(and cuttings to take home). ;) :D

Cheers $$$$$ :)

p.s. And no, a wishing well would not do 'well' in a motel garden. The cost of security guards would eat up all the income. :)

beetle
19-09-2003, 11:16 PM
LOL good on ya exLL

and sorry elephant.... :D

thanxs for the help,

better luck next question.

beetle

Scouse
20-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Ho Beetle.
I have the answer to your word count - if you have a recent Word program. This runs well on my Word 2000. You can check what version you have by clicking on the top toolbar Help>About Microsift Word.
This little procedure takes longer to read than to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------
In Word, open a document or essay that already has a reasonable number of words.
Go to the end of the file (Ctrl + End)
Press enter about three times to create space after your essay.
Type Words:
Top toolbar again.
Click on Insert>>Field.
Under Categories highlight (click on) Document Information.
Under Field Names highlight NumWords and then click OK.
-----------------------------------------------------------
The end of your essay will now show Words:123456 or similar.
Always type new material above the little Words: formula.
To make the system recount after you have added or deleted words,
click on the number 123456. It will get a grey backgound.
Then press the F9 key - presto - you have your update.
--------------------------------------------------------- Scouse.

godfather
20-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Scouse, IF beetle had Microsoft Word, I guess this thread would have stopped some time ago.

She doesnt have Word.

>oh dear having trouble i have version 6 of works,

Her version of Works seemingly doesnt support the function of a button on the toolbar.

Of course Word does, but that does not help her right now.

Graham L
20-09-2003, 04:34 PM
And another good theory is destroyed by contact with the facts. :D

Beetle: I assume that you use the same font and typesize for all your essays. Experiment a bit, and find a type size which fits 500 (or some other reasonable number) words per page. Then you can think in terms of a "3 page" or "4 page" essay.

beetle
20-09-2003, 08:01 PM
yes i do mostly use the same settings / size etc but not always.
its more difficult if i require double line spacing.

and if i dont use a whole page every time it makes things worse, just thought a icon to hit is easier than save, tools, wordcount.....

no matter
thanxs all much appreciate the help, even thought we again couldnt fix beetle's puter..

beetle

Elephant
20-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Yep... I'm certainly thick and also grey.

Skin and Hair that is.

:-)

What hair there is left that is!!!

beetle
20-09-2003, 09:51 PM
much appreciate the help Elephant,

have a nice evening.

beetle