PDA

View Full Version : network file sharing

japg
17-09-2003, 09:22 AM
I have a wireless home network network setup between a desktop with a Belkin PCI WLAN card and a Compaq laptop with built in 802-11b.
Am using ICS to share an internet connection though a Dynalink router which works OK. Both computers use XP home.
My problem is accessing the program and windows folders on the desktop C drive from the laptop - I get an error message "program
files not accessible. You may not have permission to use
this network resource - etc - access denied'. However I
am able to access all files and folders on the laptop
from the desktop. I can see both these folders in network places on the laptop and can open all files on a 'D' drive - a partition on desktop hard disc. Both the XP firewall and Norton are dissabled.
When I attempt to share the desktop programs or windows
folder the checkboxes are greyed out and a message -'all
options on this tab are disabled because this folder is
used by the operating system'- this message also on
laptop program folder sharing options - but desktop able
to access all program files and folders on laptop.
Also notice excessive latency when opening C drives on
both computers.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Chilling_Silently
17-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Hello John, Welcome to PressF1 :-)

Im guessing this is going to be a permissions issue here.
What username are you using to login to all the machines? Password the same on all of them too?

Is the HDD formatted with NTFS, because you may also be running into permissions error's there.

How have you setup the share? With everybody having Full-Access?

IMHO, it would be best to open the network wide, so everybody has access (Not disabling WEP mind you) and then you can lock down on username/permissions when you've got sharing sorted.

Post back with that information and myself or somebody else will help you further :-)

Cheers

Chill.

falvrez
17-09-2003, 09:06 PM
I didn't think that XP Home would let you have access over a network to either the Windows folder or the Program Files folder...but I may be wrong.
You did say you can access these two folders from one machine to another, but not the other way?

Susan B
17-09-2003, 09:24 PM
I have got Win XP home and when I go to Sharing and Security all the options are unavailable, eg greyed out, for the Program Files and Windows folders so falvrez could very well be right.

The other computer on the network is Win 98 and I can access Windows and Program Files from the Win XP computer.

japg
17-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Chill, to reply - do not have a password and none asked for when I try to access the network places. HDD on desktop formatted with C using NTFS and original D partition as FAT 32. Share set up with everyone with full access. At present WEP dissabled until file sharing sorted out.

japg
17-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi Falvrez, yes I can access the notebook windows and programs folders on the desktop from the laptop - but not viceversa.

Murray P
18-09-2003, 02:09 AM
Just a ? Does your router have a switch/hub? if it does I would drop ICS as a complicating factor, are you using the MS simple network setup?

I go along with Chill that its a permissions thing, try setting up your users and accounts, etc with the usual logons and passwords.

Cheers Murray P

Happy Harry
18-09-2003, 03:25 PM
I am assuming that you have "shared" the c: drive, but also believe that you have to have "guest" enabled under the user acounts to make sharing work properly

HH