PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn off Internet Explorer in XP

roben
16-09-2003, 06:01 PM
I know this sounds good but we have a client that just wants his staff to only have e-mail access, and not be able to surf the web.

It is a 24 hour business and at times there is a lot of downloading going on 200mb here and there and oh look a fax from Telecom you are over your 600MB limit.

Is this possible or can we just uninstall IE6

Thanks Roben

jockT
16-09-2003, 06:19 PM
You could set up accounts for the users but to get rid of IE go to Control Panel Add/remove programs, in the left of the window there is a button for Add/remove windows components.

mikebartnz
16-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Strictly speaking you can't remove IE because it is so tied to the OS but by using permissions you should be able to achieve what you want.

Lohsing
16-09-2003, 10:57 PM
What about opening up "My Computer" and typing in the web address in the address bar? If you have a connection to the net, it still opens up as far as I know?

Lo.

Chilling_Silently
16-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Search google for Folder Guard Pro, by winability (winability.com iirc)
Use that to deny access to the folder that IE is installed in...
I've not tried it myself, but a friend I suggested it to reported it worked (He was doing a similar thing!)

Cheers

Chill.

Elephant
16-09-2003, 11:25 PM
As an admistrator you can allow staff to access just what you want in XP Pro.

You will need to setup user accounts with passwords and each user will only be able to access programs you allow. You can even get down to file access through directories or folders.

Uses more disk space as each User will have their own desktop.

You don't uninstall IE6 as it were.

beama
17-09-2003, 12:06 AM
if the company is using a firewall(I would be) just set up a user (for those allowed to use the internet) all others are blocked.

Budda
17-09-2003, 02:12 PM
also one other way to do it would be to block port 80 on the firewall then you would have no internet traffic but just leave open your POP and SMTP ports :) havent tried it before but should work

kiki
17-09-2003, 02:32 PM
I'm afraid a firewall alone won't do the trick. If the people were clever enough, they would just get a small program which socksifies Internet Explorer and transfers the data through the open ports (in this case the pop3 and smtp ports).

Also whats to stop them from installing another browser such as Opera and using that if IE is blocked?

Maybe your best bet is to make them all limited users so they can't install any more programs, block everything except the email ports, and deny access to internet explorer.

Greg S
17-09-2003, 04:17 PM
By blocking http and ftp access and removing any media drives (floppy, cd etc) I can't work out how they could download or install any software in the first place. A firewall properly configured will be all he needs.

Incidentally, the 600MB limit applies only to non-business users, doesn't it?

roben
17-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks People will let you all know on what they decide to do.

Roben