PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Operating System

bk T
15-09-2003, 11:19 PM
My friend has got a machine running Win2K and after the POST boot sequence, it halts at the screen requesting to select an Operating System with 3 lines of Windows 2000 Professional. I understand that this machine has got only one OS installed, i.e. Windows 2000 Professional. I further understand from this friend of mine that he has reformatted this machine 3 times and every time he reformatted it another line of Windows 2000 Professional is added to the selection.

Now, how do I get rid this annoying thing? If I were to reformat it, how do I prevent it from adding another line of OS to select?

Cheers

BootyLicious
15-09-2003, 11:34 PM
fix the MBR

bk T
15-09-2003, 11:41 PM
> fix the MBR

BootyLicious, can you elaborate on this? What is MBR, by the way?

Kame
15-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Well do all 3 selections go to the same OS?

I doubt it's 3 different installations so to fix this, it's not the MBR, but the actual boot.ini file.

In you C:\ there's a file called boot.ini, it's possibly hidden, probably can't be editted in notepad, the likes, In XP it's in the System Properties (win-key + pause/break) under Advanced, Start Up and Recovery, Click on Edit and then delete the additional lines, then save and exit.

That should be it.

mikebartnz
16-09-2003, 12:23 AM
If you go to ControlPanel/System Porperties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery you will see what is listed for startup but I think the previous poster is right in that you will need to edit the boot.ini file. Got to the command prompt and type in edit boot.ini

Murray P
16-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Edited mine with note pad, can't remembr why ?:|, poss to change the amount of time it allowed to choose the OS, win2k or 98 and which was default. Linux takes care of it now.

Cheers Murray P

mark.p
16-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Words of wisdom from MS(did I really post that)-http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311578

Graham L
16-09-2003, 02:05 PM
If W2k doesn't do it like that, just get View so you see hidden files, then change the hidden and system attributes (in boot.ini's Propertioes) then Notepad will edit it. Don't use Wordpad or Word. They will break it. :D

Kame
16-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Sorry was just mentioning that XP doesn't allow editting of the boot.ini other than where I pointed it too. It allows it being opened, and changes, but does not allow it being saved.

Win2k you can edit with Notepad.

bk T
17-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Thank you everyone for all the inputs.

Cheers